CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Bald Mountain

Postby ninerhuyghe » April 11th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I agree with the statement above; something needs to be done about that flooded section it seems to never be dry. I wish I could go to the meeting tomorrow night, but I have to work. I hope someone will bring it up at the meeting.
alex
ninerhuyghe

Postby fattyclark » April 11th, 2010, 10:35 pm

yea problem is will they let us do work out there? I think if we pitch it to them as it is will be good for all groups nd make is wide enough for an ATV we could maybe make it happen
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby kcnado » April 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

ninerhuyghe wrote:I agree with the statement above; something needs to be done about that flooded section it seems to never be dry.

I think thats more than flooding... that section seems to need a whole bridge built over the lake there. I don't remember it ever being so bad.
(Assuming you are talking about the north unit, along Predmore Rd.)
If I were running at Dances With Dirt, I would have stumbled right through it though :wink:

If help is ever needed on this trail, I live really close to help.
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 14th, 2010, 6:25 pm

The south unit is in pretty good shape, a few mud spots in the normal areas but not bad. The LOHS trails are drying up nicely with just a couple of squishy areas in the field and one muddy stretch in the singletrack. The trail is getting faster every time I ride it.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Brandon Love » April 15th, 2010, 8:50 am

Rode Bald Mtn and Addison Oaks yesterday... A few soft areas on both trails but certainly ridable and fun. Please note that there are two large trees laying across the trail near the bottom of two fassssst downhills at Bald Mtn. One is closer to the end of the south loop and one is on the first half of the north loop (just after the bench). These trees are in dangerous locations if you are carrying speed and not looking down trail.
Brandon Love

Postby Paulvanr » April 15th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Bald mountain now is in pretty good shape. The biggest concern is that is 2 or 3 trees down across the trail. These are down on some fast down hill descents so keep your head up and be careful!
Paulvanr

Postby Littlered » April 19th, 2010, 9:01 am

Hey,
Did anyone ride North trails this weekend? How were they? Planning to ride there tonight if its not too wet. Thanks.

Any gals riding North tonight? I'm solo as of right now but I'd rather have company.

B
Littlered

Postby utabintarbo » April 19th, 2010, 9:34 am

"Too wet" should not be an issue anywhere except between #16 and #18 (by the Park Ranger's house). Best to take the cutout at #16 out to Predmore, then Predmore W to the Boat Ramp to pick up the trail at #18.

Previous posts seem to indicate the presence of some downed trees, with no word as to whether they've been cleared. Those are the only "unusual" obstacles you should find, allegedly. :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby kcnado » April 19th, 2010, 10:48 am

Littlered wrote:Hey,
Any gals riding North tonight? I'm solo as of right now but I'd rather have company.
B

I am, but riding at Addison.
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby dirt » April 19th, 2010, 2:23 pm

utabintarbo wrote:"Too wet" should not be an issue anywhere except between #16 and #18 (by the Park Ranger's house). Best to take the cutout at #16 out to Predmore, then Predmore W to the Boat Ramp to pick up the trail at #18.

Previous posts seem to indicate the presence of some downed trees, with no word as to whether they've been cleared. Those are the only "unusual" obstacles you should find, allegedly. :P

I avoided the #16 to #18 stretch yesterday, rest of the trail was dry, dry, dry.

Couple of trees down, mostly in the stretch before Lake George Road, still there as of yesterday.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 19th, 2010, 4:14 pm

The High School trails are 99% dry and the new trails are starting to firm up. Just start from the left side of the lower ball field and follow the orange arrows.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby fattyclark » April 19th, 2010, 7:06 pm

North Unit is in great shape(wetness wise), one of the trees can be handled by a bow saw it is between Hart and Shoe lake about 1/2 mile in.The other not so much there is one after mark 3 on the left split to the outer loop. The other bug one is I think between 17 and 18 area. The beavers have east and west Graham lake up 6 ft going off the water level stick in east Graham. I did see one of the Beavers this evening. I can't find there den tho. They have been there now 3 years so I don't think they are going anywhere.

I see we have two option with this keep fighting them and cleaning out the tube which is really jammed up, looks to have stick and mud built up through half the tube( I would like to leave them there myself). Or leave them be and build a raise boardwalk through the low land area.Which for that to happen we got to get something going with the TC and DNR out there.
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby oncewas » April 20th, 2010, 7:22 am

Guess your friend didn't have a chance to take care of the beaver problem. There are alternatives to trapping them. An enclosure can be built at the entrance to the drain pipe that is clogged. It will take a few dollars, time and the approval of park mangagement. The last being the hardest to do. No one likes the mud in the low lying areas, bikers, hikers, or runners. The fix is endorsed by many organizations and was developed by a couple of universities. It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain it either.
oncewas

Postby fattyclark » April 20th, 2010, 10:24 am

He got 3 beavers out of two spots one came from that area we are having the major problems at now.It was a young one tho. They are very smart and learn what a trap is quickly. :D
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

Postby fattyclark » April 20th, 2010, 10:25 am

oncewas wrote:Guess your friend didn't have a chance to take care of the beaver problem. There are alternatives to trapping them. An enclosure can be built at the entrance to the drain pipe that is clogged. It will take a few dollars, time and the approval of park mangagement. The last being the hardest to do. No one likes the mud in the low lying areas, bikers, hikers, or runners. The fix is endorsed by many organizations and was developed by a couple of universities. It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain it either.

Can you explain further on this?
Out in Michigan
fattyclark

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions