CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

CRAMBA: Bald Mountain

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:28 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Bald Mountain SGA
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Scott

Postby TheShadow » March 26th, 2004, 10:20 am

Anyone been to the North unit I was hoping to hit it tomorrow if it is in decent shape.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
Paint Creek Bicycles Racing
Your Long Term Care Insurance
TheShadow

Postby DaBbLe » March 26th, 2004, 8:00 pm

I rode the section between the Conklin road access and Harmon road last Sunday and it was muddy enough that I bailed out and just rode the back roads. It is muddier this Spring than it has been in the past few years. With last nights and today's rain, It's going to be very muddy. I'd opt for a road ride somewhere or maybe run the back roads over to Stony and back. You can get some pretty good hill work outs running the dirt roads. If you decide to ride the trail, make sure you have some good mud tires on your bike.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby TheShadow » March 26th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Yeah after the rain today I think I will put in some Paint Creek miles. Anything outside is better than inside!
TheShadow

Postby u00plb7 » March 28th, 2004, 10:46 pm

I rode it today, at least the parking lot side of the North Unit. Mostly dry, say 80%. There's still a few muddy spots in low lying areas.
u00plb7

BM 4/3

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 3rd, 2004, 2:25 pm

The north unit was OK this morning, still some of the regular muddy spots remaining but pretty good overall. The south unit is still too wet and will be another week or two. Unfortunately you can't tell from the parking area, you have to get back in the trail.
Last edited by Steve_Kinley on April 4th, 2004, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve_Kinley

Re: BM 4/3

Postby TheShadow » April 3rd, 2004, 10:06 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:The north unit was OK this morning, still some of the regular muddy spots remaing but pretty good overall. The south unit is still too wet and will be another week or two. Unfortunately you can't tell from the parking area, you have to get back in the trail.

Yep, I rode the North unit today and as Steve said just the regular muddy spots, other than that it was pretty dry. This was the first time I rode Bald Mt. since the "incident" last fall aka shoulder meets dirt at 25 mph. Felt great to ride out there again!
TheShadow

Postby chris_werth » April 12th, 2004, 7:37 am

When you come in off Flint street, go across the make-shift 2 board bridge, there is a large tree down.
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » April 12th, 2004, 8:17 am

Where exactly is this tree? I'm not familar with that entrance. When I find out where the tree is I'll notify the park management. If it is an offical entrance they should take care of it. If not someone with a chainsaw will have to take care of it.

I don't have a chainsaw yet, my wife says I have to wait awhile to get one.
The trail is only as good, as the work you put into it!
tcbaldmtn

Postby chris_werth » April 12th, 2004, 8:39 am

My bad, the enterance is off Miller road. I was thinking Flint street because that is the street that Miller turns into. Anyway, if you are coming in from Miller street, there is a small parking lot on the south side. The trail start in there, once you enter it you will cross over a small creek. About 100 yards past it you will run into the tree.
chris_werth

trail condition

Postby GDMarshall » April 12th, 2004, 10:31 am

Rode the north unit Saturday. Excellent/perfect riding condition. Only a few minor muddy spots in the usual areas. Didn't see any downed trees anywhere on the main loops.
GDMarshall

Postby chris_werth » April 12th, 2004, 11:04 am

The tree is not on the main loop. It is on a trail heading to the main loop.
The trail comes into the main loop on the furthest north/west section of the west loop.
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » April 12th, 2004, 4:52 pm

I've cleared all the downed trees on the trail last week. Didn't need a chainsaw, just a bow saw. How large is the downed tree? Can it be cut with a Bow saw or do I need a chainsaw?
tcbaldmtn

Postby chris_werth » April 13th, 2004, 6:59 am

It can be done with a bow saw but you'll be tired when your done :P
chris_werth

Postby tcbaldmtn » April 14th, 2004, 8:23 am

I cleared the tree this morning with a bow saw. Guess I'm going to have to beg the wife for a chainsaw. It took me about 45 minutes to cut out a section. Be careful the tree is at the edge of the trail on the left side going in.

I'll talk to management about the bridge that's missing. I know that they have had alot of problems with beavers the past couple of years. They've been causing problems around culverts.

For future reference anything over 8" is chainsaw material. Please keep me updated of any problems on the trail.
tcbaldmtn

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments