CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » January 24th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I made it out to Addison today to ride the groomed fat bike route. It's great. Not including the bit of connector and the route across the parking lot, it's a 5.5 mile loop. Most of it is very solid, some is a little loose, but the entire thing was easily ridable on 3.8" Hüsker Dü tires at 4-5 PSI averaging about 9.3 MPH. Much of it is downright fast, with 20 MPH+ very possible on some of the downhills. There's some serious climbs out there for winter riding, particularly along Drahner, but this adds to the fun and learning to handle a fat bike.

The route begins at the north end of the main parking lot and heads east on the Buhl Lake Loop. Signs are at all turns, although following the fat bike tracks works great as well. Printed maps are available on the signpost at the fat bike route trailhead or from the people working in the contact station (main gate).

The surface is definitely too soft and snow too deep in most parts for a skinny tire bike, so stick to fat bikes on here.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jhmotard » January 24th, 2015, 8:08 pm

So they basically gave us another loop for the summer too. :) And if your stating that avg speed on a fat bike is near 10mph, what do you think a summer mtb race pace avg would be?

My question is about the loop just outside the map, it's cut off. Does this just follow addison blvd then turn towards marker 3 or is there more to it?
jhmotard

Postby c0nsumer » Yesterday, 12:40 am

jhmotard wrote:So they basically gave us another loop for the summer too. :) And if your stating that avg speed on a fat bike is near 10mph, what do you think a summer mtb race pace avg would be?

Because the route runs counter-clockwise, many of the two track parts in the northwest go opposite what the MTB route goes on them. So I'd be very careful doing that. However, you can incorporate many of the ideas from it to make a 11 mile MTB route...

jhmotard wrote:My question is about the loop just outside the map, it's cut off. Does this just follow addison blvd then turn towards marker 3 or is there more to it?

The reason for this is because when I made the Fat Bike Route map, I did it by highlighting the MTB route map. Because the MTB route doesn't go on the two track in the northeast of the park, I never included it. Drawing a new Fat Bike Route map which showed all of this would have been a LOT more work, having to refit all the text and whatnot... So it was just left off.

Check this out in Strava (https://www.strava.com/activities/245573374) which shows the route being ridden 3x (plus a shortcutted last lap). It just goes over to the fence along Walker, goes north, then east along Drahner. It's very easy to follow in person.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby block » Yesterday, 8:18 am

I rode it yesterday and it was very easy to follow. I had printed out a map and never took it out of my pocket. Great trail! Big thanks to Steve V for stopping and advising me to lower my tire pressure some more (down to 4 which seems crazy but it worked). Made the ride that much better!

Btw, my Garmin showed just shy of 6 miles for a lap but that included going through the parking lot.
block

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments