CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby 2niner » January 29th, 2016, 8:49 am

chris_werth wrote:
Happy2BRiding wrote:Anyone have an update on the current conditions at Addison....?

Given the conditions at other trails in the area I can make a pretty good guess but figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

Last I heard from "2niner" conditions are terrible at Addison. Ice, Ice and more Ice.

And more ice!! It's really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2niner

Postby utabintarbo » January 29th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Yeah, it was kinda icy for the race last Saturday, and the rain yesterday likely made that worse. Probably have to wait for a significant snowfall or warmup before getting back out there. :(
Addison Oaks TC

Latest additions to the quiver:
2010 Black Sheep Stellar
2011 Carver Fat Bike
2010 Jones Spaceframe
2013 Carver Trans-Fat
2012 Surly Krampus

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2016, 2:32 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Yeah, it was kinda icy for the race last Saturday, and the rain yesterday likely made that worse. Probably have to wait for a significant snowfall or warmup before getting back out there. :(

In my part of Oakland county last night, we had rain turned to sleet then to snow as the temps dropped. My driveway and street were covered with about a half inch of snow when I left this AM. What really looked promising was that there was a nice layer of snow bonded to what had been glare ice on the safety path nearest my home.

I've seen this magic recipe I've seen work in similar past winters to make icy trails more rideable again. I plan to ride either PLRA or LOHS/BMs later on this evening to see if the magic worked there. If it didn't, well that's what studded tires are for.
KLydesdale

Postby Negaunee » February 5th, 2016, 1:30 pm

I rode this morning (Fri 5th) and the trail was quite nice, mostly. The frozen parts of the trail were great, with a dusting of snow on them, and lots of critter tracks. But the areas where there was a lot of sun were already starting to melt and get soft by 11am. Nothing bad, still grippy, no pizza cutters noted at all, which was nice, just surface stuff. Though when I was done I had a spackling of fine mud on me and my gear. I imagine it will only get worse as the day gets warmer. So if you're wanting to ride this weekend I would recommend it if you get out earlier in the morning when all is still frozen. The trail will be getting worse as the day warms up.

Also, there is a sign that says the park will be closed on the 9th and the 11th for "Goose Management" or something like that. Definitely don't go to the park these days wearing your canadian goose riding gear!
Negaunee

Postby bansheesho » February 5th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Thinking of taking the fat bike out to Addison Oaks early Saturday morning. Has anyone been out there recently? Good idea/Bad idea?

I am new to fat biking, so not sure when the normal prime time is.
bansheesho

Postby bansheesho » February 6th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Early Saturday morning conditions were very good. It might become a bit mushy/muddy later in the day though.
bansheesho

Postby chris_werth » Yesterday, 7:18 am

Addison was groomed around 3:00pm on Wednesday, after the 2-3" of fresh fell around 5:00pm the trail was a little of a challenge but still rideable. The XC trails are rideable as well.
Be careful, there seems to be some work going out there along the Lake George area where a lot of trees have been taken down.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments