CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby mrbikester » May 10th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Wow! I have never see Addison Oaks in worse shape. So disappointing because this is one of my favorite trails. This was first ride here of the season and there was so much mud and standing water. Not all of it was this bad but enough sections where I had to bale out at 4.5 miles. This trail needs a week or more of dry sunny windy weather. Riding the trail now will only cause deeper ruts and more damage.
I am an optimist and did buy my season pass today with plans to ride the trail often this summer.
Please avoid the trail for a while to let it dry out more.
mrbikester

Postby mtb_frk » May 10th, 2014, 8:28 pm

I agree it was quite muddy today. I thought just the area by the lake George fence opening would be wet, it was and then quite a bit more, I bailed out quite quickly and just rode around the paved trail and the new connector. I would say avoid it for a while.
mtb_frk

Postby ilikenature » May 11th, 2014, 7:58 am

Glad I checked. I was going to head to Addison this morning... Sad.

Sent from my Sony Z1S.
ilikenature

Postby bmiller » May 18th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Any updates?
bmiller

Postby utabintarbo » May 19th, 2014, 2:00 pm

There are reports (via Facebook) of it being "muddy in spots". Given the general level of wetness in that area (BMN + Addison), and the rain expected over the next 2 days, I'd tend to wait until the end of the week, at best. :(
utabintarbo

Postby PK » May 20th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Postby utabintarbo » Sat 05.04.2014, 05:42 pm

As of this afternoon, large stretches of the trail are still under 3-6" of snow and ice, not to mention the ubiquitous rabbit *beep*. :evil:

I figure it will be mid-May before there is even a shot. :(

HMMMM.... :?

Pete
PK

Postby flamingo » May 21st, 2014, 11:41 am

Rode it yesterday. Had to walk over many wet spots. I have to say I am very impressed with the maintenance crew of this trail. There is a walkway bridge being build over wet area by the Lake George entrance.

Many thanks to all the involved in the project.

BTW Do not attempt Bald Mountain. It is a disaster.
flamingo

Postby Toy529 » May 23rd, 2014, 8:42 am

Thinking about doing Addison this afternoon. How do you think the conditions will be ??
Toy529

Postby c0nsumer » May 23rd, 2014, 8:46 am

Toy529 wrote:Thinking about doing Addison this afternoon. How do you think the conditions will be ??

Probably very wet. I'd be prepared to turn back.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » May 23rd, 2014, 8:49 am

Toy529 wrote:Thinking about doing Addison this afternoon. How do you think the conditions will be ??

Iffy. I wouldn't say "no way", but Addison tends to dry out slowly in the Spring (and this has been a particularly wet Spring up there), and then stay relatively dry through Fall. If you go, please report back.
utabintarbo

Postby Toy529 » May 23rd, 2014, 9:01 am

I love Addison , and have not been there since last fall, knee surgery. I think I will head to LOHS or Stoney.....
Toy529

Postby Steve_Kinley » May 23rd, 2014, 8:15 pm

I think I will head to LOHS or Stoney.....

I checked LOHS this afternoon and it is dry enough to ride although there are a few short mud spots, especially in the first 2.5 miles and last little bit of singletrack. But the tire marks will get raked out after the spots dry a little more.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby c0nsumer » May 24th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Rode the first half of Addison today. Except for water running down the initial two track climb the first half up to the connector was in good shape.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 26th, 2014, 12:25 am

Trail was in very good shape today, with very little mud. Only two notable spots, one before the longish / sparse uphill rock garden in the first half, and the other is just after the pavement. The second one just after the pavement is pretty bad and even features water flowing down the trail, so it could probably benefit from a bit of water diversion work.

There is also a tree down right after the muddy spot just after the pavement. This is too big for me to hop, but doesn't look like it'll be hard to remove. Otherwise, the rest of the trail is in very good shape. Some parts are even getting a bit dry/dusty.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » May 26th, 2014, 1:50 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Trail was in very good shape today, with very little mud. Only two notable spots, one before the longish / sparse uphill rock garden in the first half, and the other is just after the pavement. The second one just after the pavement is pretty bad and even features water flowing down the trail, so it could probably benefit from a bit of water diversion work.

Yup...what Steve said. The area after the turn off from the bike path is a bit of a mess. There's also a low leaning tree on the first half just before the tree trunk mound that you have to duck under.

I noticed that in the new-ish section just after the initial climb just past the gravel road, that horses have been on the trail and left hoof/shoe marks. Not awful, but noticeable.

Other than that Addison was in good shape and fast.

One other thing:

What is going on with all of the orange carsonite signs that are going up? It appears that there are a number of either bail-outs or short cuts that are getting cut in...are they really necessary?
lunge bob sweatpants

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments