CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby pharus » August 17th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I went riding with my buddy John tonight and we were about 50 feet from the end. Coming down a long straightaway, we had a pretty good head of steam going, I would say probably 16-18mph, and then there is a boardwalk about 30 feet long and 2 feet wide. John was in the lead, and when I hit it, I was a little too close to the edge for comfort, probably within 4 inches, but luckily for me, my guardian angel gave me a little nudge back to the center, as he often does when I'm about to do something terribly bad on the trail. John R's guardian angel was taking a nap, so he did not benefit from any special protection. The end of the boardwalk had a bit of a bump in it 3 feet from the end, then there is a drop off of about 6 inches down to the trail at the end of the boardwalk. I looked up in time to see him dive off the end of the boardwalk at what looked like 100mph and do an endo over his bike, followed by his bike doing an endo over him. He and the bike ended up in a cloud of dust 20 feet past the last board. The most spectacular crash I've ever seen. He had a cut eyebrow like a boxer, a bloody nose, a swollen eye, and the usual scraped forearms and knees. The bike had a flat rear tire and a major wobble to the front wheel. He tried riding it after we pumped it up, but the front wheel was wobbling so much I had to laugh, he looked like he was riding a Three Stooges bike. I ended up riding back and got the truck to come get him.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby c0nsumer » August 17th, 2010, 11:29 pm

pharus wrote:I went riding with my buddy John tonight and we were about 50 feet from the end. Coming down a long straightaway, we had a pretty good head of steam going, I would say probably 16-18mph, and then there is a boardwalk about 30 feet long and 2 feet wide. John was in the lead, and when I hit it, I was a little too close to the edge for comfort, probably within 4 inches, but luckily for me, my guardian angel gave me a little nudge back to the center, as he often does when I'm about to do something terribly bad on the trail. John R's guardian angel was taking a nap, so he did not benefit from any special protection. The end of the boardwalk had a bit of a bump in it 3 feet from the end, then there is a drop off of about 6 inches down to the trail at the end of the boardwalk. I looked up in time to see him dive off the end of the boardwalk at what looked like 100mph and do an endo over his bike, followed by his bike doing an endo over him. He and the bike ended up in a cloud of dust 20 feet past the last board. The most spectacular crash I've ever seen. He had a cut eyebrow like a boxer, a bloody nose, a swollen eye, and the usual scraped forearms and knees. The bike had a flat rear tire and a major wobble to the front wheel. He tried riding it after we pumped it up, but the front wheel was wobbling so much I had to laugh, he looked like he was riding a Three Stooges bike. I ended up riding back and got the truck to come get him.

*beep*, wow. Glad he's all right.

It took me a while to get the right feel on that boardwalk, but I find that rolling the little drop (the first one) then pulling the front end up for the second works out real well.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » August 18th, 2010, 5:33 am

Just FYI... you can take the trail to the left of that little bridge to avoid it. It's not very apparent (few use it), but it is there.

I hope your buddy is OK.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby jreyst » August 18th, 2010, 8:59 am

Yeah I'm fine. I do look like I was in a fight though. My upper lip is still swollen and there's a scab forming in my mustache (ugh) as well as my right eyebrow and right cheek being swollen. My right forearm and right shin are also skinned up. At least I saved the left side of my body so I can lay on that at night lol

I have to say something was odd the entire ride. I felt strange from the very beginning. Right after the first hill there is new gravel at the bottom where the trail crosses another trail and I ditched it in the gravel, just enough to scratch my right knee. I wasn't going that fast and I think the last second unsuredness of which way to go caused a slight turn causing the spill. Shortly after that I started noticing an intermittent rubbing noise that Steve (Pharus) and I later investigated and determined to be my front brake rubbing. We corrected that but at the same time I also noticed it wasn't downshifting reliably. I'd downshift before hitting a hill and nothing would happen. The shifter would move etc, but I didn't feel any "click" when I shifted and it didn't shift. After a while it was working again, and then it wasn't again, off and on. Anyway, things were going mostly well other than me feeling like it was riding a bit differently.

We got to the end, at the little boardwalk/bridge deal and as Steve said, we hit it at a pretty good clip, probably over 15 mph at least. I saw the little rise at the end of the bridge coming so I planned to do a little "hop" after I hit it, which I did. I think when I came down / landed from the hop I then hit the end of the bridge at a bad angle and just plan ate the dirt from there. It's funny, normally when you have an accident it happens so suddenly you don't have time to think about it, its just an instant and then its over. This time I actually remember being aware of sliding, face first, in the dirt, and watching my bike continue ahead of me. That was pleasant lol So I wear glasses and figured I destroyed them but luckily not. Steve helped me locate them in the brush and then was kind enough to hand me a couple Purel alcohol wipes he keeps in his camelbak... that was pleasant. So I examined the bike, it appeared ok at first but then Steve noticed I had a flat in the rear. As he said we pumped it up enough to ride a short distance but then we noticed the front wobbling and I was losing air fast. I walked it from there and Steve went to get his truck and we called it a night :(

So now its going to require a trip to the shop for a complete overhaul before I can ride it again :(
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby RMXByker » August 18th, 2010, 10:20 am

Odd thing is I almost lost it coming across what I think is the same gravel section. Was it where you come out of the grassy area of the trail across the road? That little spot gets me every time so now I just back her off a few clicks till I get back on singletrack. Glad to hear your mostly okay!
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 18th, 2010, 10:45 am

I'm confused, by boardwalk do you mean the tree you can ride across right before hitting the pavement? I know others have crashed there as well. Many times I have taken the trail to the left that Bob mentions if it is wet or I am tired.

The gravel section you talk about surprised me too. I imagine it was dumped there to help fill the section; it is wet for long stretches at a time. But it is pretty sketchy to try and turn on it.

I did notice that there seems to be additional gravel where the trail dumps onto the paved path along Drahner road. Either that or there has been a lot of material accumulation this summer. Combined with hitting the raised asphalt at a slight angle and it can get your heart rate up a beat or two.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby craig » August 18th, 2010, 11:22 am

As long as we are discussing that section of trail....where does the new trail (across the paved path at the end) lead to? I was too tired to explore, so I just went left on the paved path as usual.
craig

Postby utabintarbo » August 18th, 2010, 11:27 am

craig wrote:As long as we are discussing that section of trail....where does the new trail (across the paved path at the end) lead to? I was too tired to explore, so I just went left on the paved path as usual.

That leads back up the initial hill, essentially allowing for a "loop" into a 2nd lap.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » August 18th, 2010, 11:36 am

Steve_Kinley wrote:I'm confused, by boardwalk do you mean the tree you can ride across right before hitting the pavement? I know others have crashed there as well. Many times I have taken the trail to the left that Bob mentions if it is wet or I am tired.

The gravel section you talk about surprised me too. I imagine it was dumped there to help fill the section; it is wet for long stretches at a time. But it is pretty sketchy to try and turn on it.

I did notice that there seems to be additional gravel where the trail dumps onto the paved path along Drahner road. Either that or there has been a lot of material accumulation this summer. Combined with hitting the raised asphalt at a slight angle and it can get your heart rate up a beat or two.

I call it a bridge. :P But I think we're all talking about the same thing.

And yes, we dumped some limestone on the low spots on the top of the hill. A couple of rain/dry cycles should firm it up nicely.

The gravel by Drahner road kinda "appeared" there after one of those really hard rains we had a while back. It had been accumulating slowly, but that really seemed to have boosted the effect. I tend to stay farther to the left now, where the transition to pavement is less ...dramatic.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » August 19th, 2010, 5:21 am

There is a tree down on the peninsula shortly after the trail turns uphill after the big downhill into the lake. Park has been notified.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby bh357 » August 19th, 2010, 7:06 pm

There is a small "headhunter" just before the section with the powerline clearcut about 3 miles in. A handsaw will probably do the job, and I was easily able to ride under it.

Oh, and the trail was very dry and dusty :wink: :lol:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby utabintarbo » August 20th, 2010, 11:04 am

I'll be checking Addison this afternoon for ramifications of last evenings "festivities". I will post back with my findings, such as they are.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » August 20th, 2010, 7:44 pm

utabintarbo wrote:I'll be checking Addison this afternoon for ramifications of last evenings "festivities". I will post back with my findings, such as they are.

As I drove up to Addison, I noticed that the huge barn off of Rochester Road (just south of the greenhouses) was blown completely down. Needless to say, I was filled with foreboding as to the carnage I would find on the trail. Surprisingly, other than one small tree (which I removed) and a lot of deadfall, the trail is clear. As I've seen with many of the short downpours this year, it seemed to bring out the sand on the trail. I imagine the "pools" of sand will be dispersed with traffic or the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow.

Since Stony is closed, I suspect there will be many who take the opportunity to check Addison out. The increased traffic will be a good thing for the trail. Enjoy!
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » August 24th, 2010, 11:56 am

Trail day is a-comin'! This Saturday, August 28, at 8:30AM. Please join us!
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby bh357 » August 26th, 2010, 5:26 am

One word... FAST :D
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

PreviousNext