CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » August 5th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Which is funny, because up till a couple of years ago, the right line was the preferred line.

As I recall, the left route was shorter, but was "choked-down" by a few rocks. The right was a bit longer, but a easier route overall.
Kudos to the designer / builder...

I had intended to clear the right section, but was too tired by the time we got there today...

Pete.
PK

Postby dirt » August 5th, 2010, 3:24 pm

PK wrote:
Which is funny, because up till a couple of years ago, the right line was the preferred line.

As I recall, the left route was shorter, but was "choked-down" by a few rocks. The right was a bit longer, but a easier route overall.
Kudos to the designer / builder...

I had intended to clear the right section, but was too tired by the time we got there today...

Pete.

The BEST line was heading into the left line, and at the rocky point where the trail jogs left, cut across the right line. By far, it was the fastest route overall. :mrgreen:
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby PK » August 6th, 2010, 11:43 am

FAST.

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » August 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Tree down just after the big log in the first mile. It can be rode around, but watch for all the deadfall. Park has been notified.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby PK » August 10th, 2010, 11:50 am

Tacky fast this morning.

The downed tree from Friday has been cut-up today.

Also, the two low spots at the end of the grassy trail (Behind the banquet center) have been filled-in with 21-AA crushed limestone. Mark and I added a drain tile first, then the park offered to send a tractor up there and a few yards of the stone. It'll be a little soft until it all gets packed-in, but on our laps today, it was "No big deal"

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » August 10th, 2010, 11:55 am

PK wrote:Tacky fast this morning.

The downed tree from Friday has been cut-up today.

Also, the two low spots at the end of the grassy trail (Behind the banquet center) have been filled-in with 21-AA crushed limestone. Mark and I added a drain tile first, then the park offered to send a tractor up there and a few yards of the stone. It'll be a little soft until it all gets packed-in, but on our laps today, it was "No big deal"

Pete.

Excellent! Thanks to both of you once again! :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby compacted_graphite » August 10th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Rode a couple of laps today in the big humidity - my compliments to the trail crew. The trail is dry everywhere, no puddles, great drainage designed into the trail. It was also nicely marked, cleared and trimmed. Well done!!
compacted_graphite

Postby utabintarbo » August 12th, 2010, 6:36 am

As of yesterday afternoon, someone had tore up many of the trail mile markers, as well as the 2 CAUTION signs. I replaced the caution signs, as they were just thrown off to the side. Replacement mile markers are now on the agenda.

Otherwise, the trail was a bit loose (not too much) and quite fast. It was raining slightly when I left, but the trail could really use a little moisture.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby fizgig » August 12th, 2010, 3:01 pm

wtf? what are they going to do with trail markers?
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby Sortaslow » August 12th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Well, do we really need to replace them? Most of us use speedos with trip info and the little jerks that took these are likely to strike again.

Disappointing still to hear this.
Sortaslow

Postby fizgig » August 12th, 2010, 3:17 pm

i think this happens at Hickory Glen too, I thought it was paintballers trying to confuse their opponents over there though. maybe start nailing them halfway up a tree or painting them on rocks?
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby c0nsumer » August 12th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Sortaslow wrote:Well, do we really need to replace them? Most of us use speedos with trip info and the little jerks that took these are likely to strike again.

Disappointing still to hear this.

They probably just wore out / got weathered and were disposed of. All of those signs were temporary signs put in for last year's race to help in case of an emergency. They were nothing more than a laminated piece of cardboard stapled to a 1" x 1" (or so) and hammered a couple inches into the ground. What's needed is proper signage.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby fizgig » August 12th, 2010, 3:37 pm

they were in fine shape 2 weeks ago
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby utabintarbo » August 12th, 2010, 7:54 pm

They were fine last Friday. While I agree that proper signage is desirable, budgets are such that this is not a high priority. Consequently, we've had to improvise.

And the real reason for the signage was in case of emergency during last year's XC race. I guess I'll be replacing them before this year's race. :(
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby NovaraAspen » August 13th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Trail is fast and in great shape!
NovaraAspen

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions