CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » April 11th, 2014, 8:35 am

Recommendation : No go

Well at least not for another week or so of no rain for the track to dry out. Mile 1 through 3.5 have small stretches of snow/ice that will grab your front tire and send you into the dirt. Other than that there are multiple spots along the whole trail where it is hike a bike due to dead fall that needs to be removed on a trail day. A lot of it needs an ax or saw to manage it and more that two people on some of them. I tried removing all of the downed trees i could across the track but there is still a lot more that needs cleaning up. As for the mud factor, miles 1 through 4 have sections of heavy mud that goes up to your rim and no way around it. Mixed in with some standing water that's 2 to 4" deep in some spots.

PK

Postby Sortaslow » April 11th, 2014, 10:54 am

Church wrote: Recommendation : No go

Well at least not for another week or so of no rain for the track to dry out. Mile 1 through 3.5 have small stretches of snow/ice that will grab your front tire and send you into the dirt. Other than that there are multiple spots along the whole trail where it is hike a bike due to dead fall that needs to be removed on a trail day. A lot of it needs an ax or saw to manage it and more that two people on some of them. I tried removing all of the downed trees i could across the track but there is still a lot more that needs cleaning up. As for the mud factor, miles 1 through 4 have sections of heavy mud that goes up to your rim and no way around it. Mixed in with some standing water that's 2 to 4" deep in some spots.

So it sounds like you say it is a no go, experienced mud up to your rims and somehow thought it a good idea to keep venturing? If you left ruts, how do you think those will go away? Who's going to repair those? Addison is mostly clay based and they'll be cemented in this summer. No fun zooming down a section and getting a tire caught in these at speed.

We try to not ride soft trails during the thaw for this reason.

Also, you may think the ruts just wear away. They don't. We go out the and manually fix them.

Think about the time this takes from the volunteer trail keepers. This is time we could spend making the trail better, building trail features, etc.

Come by to the Addison trail day coming up. Any help is appreciated.

One trail day with a shovel in hand and I guarantee you won't ride half-thawed trails again. You'll see what a waste it is when the entire trail day gets the used to fix stuff like this instead of making improvements.
Also, we are not the sole users of any trail in Michigan. We must share with runners, walkers,/hikers, etc. When they see ugly ruts from bikes, guess what they do... they run to park management (rightfully so) and complain about how ugly the bikers are making the trail look. And it can be dangerous for walkers and runners too!

Guess what else. We are the least wanted user group on trails - even though we are sometimes the group that creates and maintains them! Having the park access that we do enjoy, and this is for all parks, has come from years of huge advocacy activities. It doesn't take much to lose it.
Sortaslow

Postby Church » April 11th, 2014, 11:12 am

Sortaslow wrote:
Church wrote: Recommendation : No go

So it sounds like you say it is a no go, experienced mud up to your rims and somehow thought it a good idea to keep venturing? If you left ruts, how do you think those will go away? Who's going to repair those? Addison is mostly clay based and they'll be cemented in this summer. No fun zooming down a section and getting a tire caught in these at speed.

We try to not ride soft trails during the thaw for this reason.

Also, you may think the ruts just wear away. They don't. We go out the and manually fix them.

Think about the time this takes from the volunteer trail keepers. This is time we could spend making the trail better, building trail features, etc.

Come by to the Addison trail day coming up. Any help is appreciated.

One trail day with a shovel in hand and I guarantee you won't ride half-thawed trails again. You'll see what a waste it is when the entire trail day gets the used to fix stuff like this instead of making improvements.

Woah bud I understand that riding in the mud and half thawed trails is bad for them. I also didn't want to start the wrong way 2 miles into the track where the standing water starts. I knew that two more miles it kicks out to paved and I took that back to the trail head.

Yes I would like to help on the trail days if I'm not working. All depends on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Church

Postby Sortaslow » April 11th, 2014, 11:31 am

Not trying to be a jerk, but it's good education for everyone. No problem.

Just wondering why you didn't heed the advice from the trail coordinator in the post before yours, just days prior.
Sortaslow

Postby chris_werth » April 21st, 2014, 5:55 am

There is a lot of downed trees in the first 3 miles. Ground is still a little soft.
http://www.dubzbikesandboards.com

To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby flamingo » April 23rd, 2014, 9:12 pm

Just rode it this evening. All the trees have been cleared. It is amazing how well this trail is maintained!!. Somebody out there does excellent job. The trail is still softish in some areas.
Only one lousy area - right after the Lake George entrance. It is a big muddy puddle. It ruined my clean bike.
flamingo

Postby bmiller » April 23rd, 2014, 11:01 pm

A dirty bike is a happy bike. Thanks for the update!
bmiller

Postby kbputnam » April 26th, 2014, 9:36 am

Any report on how Addison would be this afternoon?
kbputnam

Postby Sortaslow » April 26th, 2014, 11:02 am

Most likely just fine.
Sortaslow

Postby bergsteiger » April 27th, 2014, 7:10 pm

hit Addison today. The trail was in great shape, no down trees, one slick spot on the single track just after the crossing of the new connector path towards the west and of the park. There is also that muddy spot on the double track in the field by the cell tower (tip, just slow a bit and ride straight through, trying to duck around in the field would have been worse judging by the look if it). The rest of the trail had a few soft-ish spots, again on the double track areas.
bergsteiger

Postby flamingo » April 30th, 2014, 9:02 am

Rode it last night. Very wet and slick (which was rather obvious after the rain we got in the morning). I wonder how long will it take for all the puddles to soak into the ground? No downed trees thou. Somebody else rode it as well before me. Could see the tracks.
flamingo

Postby utabintarbo » April 30th, 2014, 10:04 am

flamingo wrote:Rode it last night. Very wet and slick (which was rather obvious after the rain we got in the morning). I wonder how long will it take for all the puddles to soak into the ground? No downed trees thou. Somebody else rode it as well before me. Could see the tracks.

Given the wet/snowy Winter, and all the rain we got, I would expect Addison to kinda teeter on the edge of wetness (very similar to the Tree Farm) until we get a good long dry-ish spell (late May/early June), then the drainage systems out there will really do their stuff. As it is, the clay out there really never fully dried, so it doesn't seem to take a lot to get it wet and slick.
utabintarbo

Postby watchmyradical » April 30th, 2014, 12:15 pm

I have been waiting for the trail to dry up before getting out there but once the trail has dried Addison is my go to after a storm.

Just give it some time so we can keep that clay rut free.
Santa Cruz Nomad
Santa Cruz Highball
Gary Fisher Mullet
9 Zero 7 Fat Bike
watchmyradical

Postby c0nsumer » May 4th, 2014, 6:01 pm

Mid-afternoon Addison was soft/muddy enough that it should be skipped for a day or two. I rode in through the Lake George entrance, and bailed out at the pavement then took it to the Connector back to Lake George. The single track that I rode was mostly pretty good, but the two track stuff was downright wet and crappy.

(Did the LO area get a bunch of rain today? Some of the water was still flowing and looked very fresh, and the dirt roads were wetter than I'd expected. I saw clouds to the north when riding that way, but there was only a bit of hail and light rain where I was down near Stony.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » May 7th, 2014, 10:17 am

watchmyradical wrote:I have been waiting for the trail to dry up before getting out there but once the trail has dried Addison is my go to after a storm. Just give it some time so we can keep that clay rut free.

Well said. *thumbsup*

We too, have been waiting for the green light for Addison. I hope today's rain doesn't delay things too much. :?
lawn dart

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments