CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby Spak » November 6th, 2013, 1:51 am

jreyst wrote:Bummer.. guess I missed that sign. I rode there tonight for my first after dark ride to test my new magicshine 1000's... Was very fun but lot's of trees down. I did see tons of deer in several places, had to yell a few off the trail right in front of me and then a half dozen or so eyes reflecting back at me from the big field when almost at the Lake George gate. Also, random question, is it general protocol to ride backwards after dark or not really? I ran into another guy riding with lights going the "wrong" direction but he didn't know for sure either if he was supposed to go the normal daytime direction or reverse at night. I said it didn't matter much since we each saw each other coming a looonnnnng way off with the blazing light coming from our lamps.

yea that was me. I accidentally took a cutoff service road since I couldn't read the trails clearly with the leaves which cut off one arm of the trail for me. I eventually rode my way backward to the point I remembered crossing and turned around. Generally I would say that riding backwards is acceptable at night since everyone can see each other with the lights as you said. We ride Stony backwards at night with the CRAMBA group now and we always pull off to the side when we see a rider coming in the forward direction. There were a ton of deer for me as well, I ran into an 8 point buck and a few doe that wouldn't run off the trail till I came up to them for the third time. There had to be at least 12 of them standing on that open field when I passed. Pauly should hopefully have all those trees cleaned up this week, I counted about 5 of them. There was some obvious fresh patch work in double trouble he may have done tonight, saw him driving out of the trail before night fall. I pulled one of the smaller trees to the side of the trail, but the rest were either too long or too big to pick up.
Spak

Postby utabintarbo » November 6th, 2013, 7:37 am

Re: Deer management dates... The park is only closed on those specific dates. It is open otherwise.

Re: Riding forwards or backwards... There is no "protocol" other than one should ride backwards only at night (with lights) and should yield to those going in the forwards direction where possible.

I will contact the park regarding the downed trees, though as Ian mentioned, it is likely that Pauly already is working on getting them handled. Just remember, this is officially the off-season, so response times will be slower.
utabintarbo

Postby KLydesdale » November 6th, 2013, 10:44 am

Is riding after dark allowed at Addison Oaks now?
KLydesdale

Postby jreyst » November 6th, 2013, 11:01 am

If it's not allowed there that'd be a major bummer since that's the best park for me to get to from Crooks & Long Lake at 5pm. However, given that I'm not not necessarily trying to beat the sun going down I suppose I could go elsewhere. Still, I really like (and appreciate) the continued dedication to the condition of the trail at Addison so I hope its not an issue riding there after dark!
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » November 6th, 2013, 11:19 am

KLydesdale wrote:Is riding after dark allowed at Addison Oaks now?

No, it is not.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby jreyst » November 6th, 2013, 11:48 am

Based on the disclaimer in your .sig I suppose I'll wait for an official "no" though I suspect that's the case regardless :(
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby c0nsumer » November 6th, 2013, 1:04 pm

jreyst wrote:Based on the disclaimer in your .sig I suppose I'll wait for an official "no" though I suspect that's the case regardless :(

Please look at this page for the official answer. As with all of the local parks each has hours posted. For Addison Oaks it is 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset during the non-camping season, which is now.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » November 6th, 2013, 2:30 pm

For Addison Oaks it is 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset during the non-camping season, which is now.

That sucks !. Well, it will leave Bald Mountain then. It actually is better for night riding than Addison. - My opinion at least.
flamingo

Postby jreyst » November 6th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Yeah bummer. I'll stick to BM when I go that direction after dark then. What about Maybury, Tree Farm, and Island Lake? Those are the others I tend to hit the most often.
--
John Reyst
jreyst

Postby Mack » November 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Most parks are closed after dark. That doesn't stop folks from still riding them :D .
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby ilikenature » November 6th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Mack wrote:Most parks are closed after dark. That doesn't stop folks from still riding them :D .

Is it a ticketable offense to side parks after dark? What's the worst that can happen? Has anyone ever gotten in trouble?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby Mack » November 6th, 2013, 10:05 pm

ilikenature wrote:
Mack wrote:Most parks are closed after dark. That doesn't stop folks from still riding them :D .

Is it a ticketable offense to side parks after dark? What's the worst that can happen? Has anyone ever gotten in trouble?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

I have never been given a ticket. Just asked to leave the park, once in 20 yrs. Can you get a ticket
for doing it, you bet, so can you for spitting on the sidewalk...
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby c0nsumer » November 14th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Just as a reminder, Addison Oaks will be closed Nov. 15, 19, 21, 26 and Dec. 10, 12, 2013 for controlled hunts.

More information can be found here: http://www.destinationoakland.com/parks ... fault.aspx
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby mrbikester » November 15th, 2013, 8:07 am

I rode Addison Oaks on Thursday afternoon and there were some real slick spots so be careful. The worst of it was the first mile and half where the trail was greasy due to the overnight freezing and then the thaw during the day. Most of the trail was fine though.
mrbikester

Postby mtb_frk » November 20th, 2013, 9:35 am

Anyone ridden the trail after the wind storm?
mtb_frk

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments