CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby pharus » July 2nd, 2010, 11:17 am

I went for my first ride out there last week. Really enjoyed it, only had one crash. All the rock gardens are great, but those vines that reach out and grab you around the neck are brutal.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby utabintarbo » July 2nd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Tree referenced above has been dealt with thanks to the park crew. :D

Other than being slightly dusty, the conditions are perfect. Go ride the *beep* thing, will ya! :icon_thumleft:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby ninerhuyghe » July 3rd, 2010, 8:49 pm

this is mountain biking deal with the trail conditions if you want perfection ride on a velodrome. Man up!
alex
ninerhuyghe

Postby urbaindk » July 5th, 2010, 11:15 am

I almost ran over a ground hog last night. Other than that nothing to report.

I did have a question however. What is the etiquette for the horse trails? Would it be okay to explore them (standard "bikes yield to all" rules applied)? Or should bikes stick to the single track. I ask because a cyclocross bike towing a trailer is not really doable on the singletrack. Thanks.
urbaindk

Postby PK » July 5th, 2010, 11:39 am

Not "official" but here's my take.....

1) Don't do it. We spend lots of time complaining about horses on our trails, let's not give "them" anything to use against us.
2) Most horse trails are pretty tore-up, pooped-up, and just plain messed-up by our single track standards. I doubt they would be very enjoyable, much less ride able anyway.
3) The paved loop at Addison will give Jamie plenty to enjoy, some of the hills are pretty fast, just be ready to use the binders....Lots of campers walking out there.

Pete.
PK

Postby urbaindk » July 5th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Thanks Pete,

Bike / Horse animosity is much higher here than else where I have ridden in the past. Back in MD we had more clay and rock. We encouraged horses to help bed in and pack new trails. They made for better/faster riding conditions (besides the *beep* of course). I've seen very few instances of them tearing up the trails, usually only after a long period of rain when any trail use would have torn them up. The sandier soil here seems to make a big difference as far as feelings towards our 4-legged friends go.

Christine did a loop outside the park with the trailer and then took Jamie to the playground after while I did the single track. The dirt roads in the area give her plenty to do. I think in the future we'll trade laps. I rode the paved loop last night just to check it out, it is pretty fast coming back down towards the camp sites.
urbaindk

Postby jalopy jockey » July 5th, 2010, 10:25 pm

ninerhuyghe wrote:this is mountain biking deal with the trail conditions if you want perfection ride on a velodrome. Man up!

Nah that was kind of dusty earlier today as well. We really need to get out there and mop it. Or put a roof on it to keep out the *beep* dirt.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby wingzz » July 6th, 2010, 7:00 am

c0nsumer wrote:
dirt wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now. I'd almost say that it's too firm, as it's not tacky in the least.

Perhaps we should install a nice sensor and irrigation system along the length of the trail.

i.e. "I crashed last night, so it much be the trail"
:wink: :mrgreen:

I'm sorta prone to washing out my front wheel anyway. :P

(I didn't actually mean that as a complaint... Addison is top notch right now.)

you might try to let a couple of pounds of air out of that front tire, it makes a big difference
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby c0nsumer » July 6th, 2010, 7:54 am

wingzz wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
dirt wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now. I'd almost say that it's too firm, as it's not tacky in the least.

Perhaps we should install a nice sensor and irrigation system along the length of the trail.

you might try to let a couple of pounds of air out of that front tire, it makes a big difference

Or I could just not be a dolt and do a better job of staying on the trail. I think I may have just pushed the wheel a little too hard and fallen off the edge.

This is the stuff that makes it fun, though. :)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wingzz » July 6th, 2010, 7:56 am

c0nsumer wrote:
wingzz wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
dirt wrote:

Or I could just not be a dolt and do a better job of staying on the trail. I think I may have just pushed the wheel a little too hard and fallen off the edge.

This is the stuff that makes it fun, though. :)

well at least we all agree on something :)
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby phatras » July 8th, 2010, 10:05 am

Rode addison for my first time yesterday.. Loved it. I did however miss the exit and started to do another round. The map i printed off the website is way wrong compared to the ones at a few places on the trail. So what one is right??

Got snagged by a low branch and whipped countless times from vines, Other then that trail seemed to be in great shape.. Take into consideration Im a complete newb.. Ive only been riding MTB a few months and only been on trails three times..

Is there a trail day coming up or a way to volunteer to help with the trail?
phatras

Postby c0nsumer » July 8th, 2010, 10:27 am

phatras wrote:Rode addison for my first time yesterday.. Loved it. I did however miss the exit and started to do another round. The map i printed off the website is way wrong compared to the ones at a few places on the trail. So what one is right??

When you crossed the bit of pavement right after the narrow-ish boardwalk you were at the end of the trail. Going straight and climbing back up looped you back into the entrance. To finish, just go left on the pavement.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby utabintarbo » July 9th, 2010, 9:35 pm

As of this evening, the area at the top of the hill is very overgrown and not fun. The fast section right at the end of the first half (just before the paved path) is also an area of concern. Hopefully, I will arrange for either myself or some other kind and concerned trail denizen to trim it up a bit soon.

Other than an occasional vine, the rest of the trail was very nice and fast!
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby fizgig » July 9th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Not your typical face slappers, I swear some tree boughs were taking swipes at me the other day through there...
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby c0nsumer » July 9th, 2010, 10:47 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Other than an occasional vine, the rest of the trail was very nice and fast!

You mean the occasional vine that reaches out and slaps you across the face or whips your neck, or the thorns which rake your arms? ;)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions