CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby mrbikester » October 3rd, 2013, 10:03 pm

I don't mind some bumpiness on the rock piles but what I saw the other day NOBODY would like. Someone just threw a bunch of loose babyhead sized rocks on top and that was no way to create a rock pile. The current rock piles are stable, fun, and safe to go over for the majority that ride Addison. Lets keep it that way.
We have to be grateful for all that Pauly does out there. Without all his hardwork there would be so many ruts and washed out areas and also he has created and maintained many berms that make Addison a fun and fast trail to ride. Addison Oaks has one of the best flowing trails around.
mrbikester

Postby almostolen » October 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm

My friend and I rode them on sunday and were quite excited to see rock piles that were almost somewhat of a challenge.
When I rode, I didn't see pauly but assumed that he wasn't done yet...probably because it was raining that day.

My complaint again is about:
1. the new bridge....not necessary...there could have easily been a reroute to cut out the exposed roots, put dirt down, or leave it. Putting concrete, bridge, gravel...overboard and unnecessary.

2. dirt on the logs after the big rock....placed there to make things easier? there was nothing wrong with the way they were.

3. gravel being placed everywhere....I understand about sustainability... we should not be using this kind of "gravel" to fix erosion.

4. cutting out all of the smaller trees after the airplane field to make the trail wider. Trails should be made without cutting down trees.

Things I liked:
trenches along trails for drainage.
rocks along trail to keep riders on designated areas...like the last climb in the newer section.
almostolen

Postby utabintarbo » October 4th, 2013, 1:29 pm

almostolen wrote:My friend and I rode them on sunday and were quite excited to see rock piles that were almost somewhat of a challenge.
When I rode, I didn't see pauly but assumed that he wasn't done yet...probably because it was raining that day.

My complaint again is about:
1. the new bridge....not necessary...there could have easily been a reroute to cut out the exposed roots, put dirt down, or leave it. Putting concrete, bridge, gravel...overboard and unnecessary.

2. dirt on the logs after the big rock....placed there to make things easier? there was nothing wrong with the way they were.

3. gravel being placed everywhere....I understand about sustainability... we should not be using this kind of "gravel" to fix erosion.

4. cutting out all of the smaller trees after the airplane field to make the trail wider. Trails should be made without cutting down trees.

Things I liked:
trenches along trails for drainage.
rocks along trail to keep riders on designated areas...like the last climb in the newer section.

1. Not a big fan of the bridge myself, but all it covered was some tiny roots in loamy soil. The soil was eroding away, hence the bridge.

2. The dirt is there to keep the logs in place. It will likely be worn away and get the same treatment next Fall.

3. Judging from the amount and placement of the gravel (it's not just on the MTB trails), this was likely an OCP directive. Most of what is on the MTB trail is limited to filling up gulleys that were forming.

4. This was also likely an OCP directive due to some injuries in the past. I was happy we kept them as long as we did.

HTH
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » October 4th, 2013, 1:46 pm

I like the bridges as they give the trail some character.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby mrbikester » October 4th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Rode trail on Friday and it was in perfect shape. Glad I bought a season pass as I have ridden that trail so far 20 times this year and I like parking in the park to ride. You
can't ask for better security. The Oakland County Sheriffs are always patrolling.
mrbikester

Postby lawn dart » October 5th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I'm willing to bet that Addison was completely ride-able today any time after noon.

Say what you want about Pauly, but you can't argue with his ability to get a trail to shed water & dry up quickly. *thumbsup*
lawn dart

Postby PK » October 5th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Actually, it was fine all day.....The first rider got to our food stop around 10:00 I think.
He said it was fine.
He was very clean.
Apparently, the leaf canopy was still intact enough to act as an umbrella of sorts...Either that, or Pauly didn't allow it rain on the trail? 8)
Pete
PK

Postby utabintarbo » October 6th, 2013, 8:58 am

PK wrote:Apparently, the leaf canopy was still intact enough to act as an umbrella of sorts...Either that, or Pauly didn't allow it rain on the trail? 8)

Probably out there with a wet-vac at 8AM. :lol:
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » October 6th, 2013, 10:08 am

PK wrote:Actually, it was fine all day.....The first rider got to our food stop around 10:00 I think.
He said it was fine.
He was very clean.
Apparently, the leaf canopy was still intact enough to act as an umbrella of sorts...Either that, or Pauly didn't allow it rain on the trail? 8)
Pete

Agreed. The trail surface was damp, very intact, and not wet. It was about optimal, actually.

The only bothersome slop that I encountered was on the dirt roads and part of the Paint Creek Trail on the way there.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » October 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I liked the trail at addison, it is a great place to ride in combo w/ bald mnt north, and I have not ridden it since last years fallout! I also admired the drainage system and rock borders... And I resisted the urge to climb up on the giant boulder and do a tarzan imitation!
2slo2endo

Postby utabintarbo » October 7th, 2013, 1:46 pm

2slo2endo wrote:... And I resisted the urge to climb up on the giant boulder and do a tarzan imitation!

Yeah, that 's a recurring problem that we try to discourage. :roll:

:wink: :lol:
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » October 9th, 2013, 11:53 am

Just FYI, the Addison Oaks Trail Riders are having a camping / riding event at Addison Oaks from October 24th through 27th. So, just a heads-up that there'll be more equestrians on the trails than normal, so if you're riding that weekend, keep a particularly keen eye out at the crossings and shared segments.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Skyt » October 9th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear of it. For sure, Addison Oaks trails during Oct 24-27 will be clobbered by elitist snobs who believe that their skittish prey animals are more important than the rights of other trail users. During this period, if you see or hear an equestrian, stop and throw a tarp over your bike and remain motionless in order to ensure that the prey animal isn't spooked. All bikers should carry a camouflaged tarp while riding during this period.
Skyt

Postby camilloscienfuegos » October 9th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Agree that this is bad news. I demand full enforcement of the p.o.o.p it and scoop it laws for these snobs. The bags provided by the park are plenty big enough for these equestrians to carry 2 or 3 and dismount and clean up whenever and wherever their poor beasts of burden happen to defecate. Dog owners do this and so should the horse folks, or at least their hired help can!!!
every man will eventually die , not every man will truly live - William Wallace

You have bled with Wallace , now bleed with me - Robert the Bruce
camilloscienfuegos

Postby utabintarbo » October 10th, 2013, 6:20 am

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole in the morning... :icon_thumleft:

If there is evidence of horses on the MTB trails, be sure that the park will be notified. The park has spent a fair amount of money on the trails, and they will not be happy to hear about that all getting trashed. I'd still keep a wary eye out for road apples though.
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments