CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » June 28th, 2010, 11:01 am

The "official" trailhead (since '08, anyway) is approximately here, just over the little bridge past the playground/concession stand. The old trail head is the one off to the left just before the superintendent's residence and maintenance office. Either one is usable. You just miss some stuff with the old trailhead.

Confusion averted?
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby NovaraAspen » June 28th, 2010, 11:42 am

utabintarbo wrote:The "official" trailhead (since '08, anyway) is approximately here, just over the little bridge past the playground/concession stand. The old trail head is the one off to the left just before the superintendent's residence and maintenance office. Either one is usable. You just miss some stuff with the old trailhead.

Confusion averted?

Is this where the trail crosses the paved path right after the "log ride"?
NovaraAspen

Postby utabintarbo » June 28th, 2010, 12:03 pm

NovaraAspen wrote:Is this where the trail crosses the paved path right after the "log ride"?

Close. It's a bit before that (closer to the parking lot, off the same paved path). HTH.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby fizgig » June 28th, 2010, 2:05 pm

that bridge used to seem so narrow to me like a skinny, now it seems kinda wide.
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby DetroitKitty » July 1st, 2010, 12:44 pm

I guess I should have read the last couple of pages to see about the trail conditions, but I didn't think to because being July I figured the trail was fine.... then I encountered that darn tree! was not expected. It looks like it has been down a few days, is the DNR going to do anything about it?
In this type of instance I don't understand why we couldn't just go in there and take care of it. It can be so complicated at times.
Man who dream of eating giant mushroom---wake up with no pillow.
DetroitKitty

Postby c0nsumer » July 1st, 2010, 12:51 pm

DetroitKitty wrote:I guess I should have read the last couple of pages to see about the trail conditions, but I didn't think to because being July I figured the trail was fine.... then I encountered that darn tree! was not expected. It looks like it has been down a few days, is the DNR going to do anything about it?
In this type of instance I don't understand why we couldn't just go in there and take care of it. It can be so complicated at times.

1) It's not a DNR park.
2) All parks are underfunded and understaffed right now.
3) The parks maintain the non-single track.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wingzz » July 1st, 2010, 2:49 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
DetroitKitty wrote:I guess I should have read the last couple of pages to see about the trail conditions, but I didn't think to because being July I figured the trail was fine.... then I encountered that darn tree! was not expected. It looks like it has been down a few days, is the DNR going to do anything about it?

1) It's not a DNR park.

Most parks won't allow volunteers to use power tools due to insurance liabilities
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby gtrowbridge » July 2nd, 2010, 7:29 am

wingzz wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

1) It's not a DNR park.

Most parks won't allow volunteers to use power tools due to insurance liabilities

DNR also limits who can use chainsaws. I've often thought about getting one of those big 5ft logging saws with 4 inch teeth on it. They probably wouldn't have a problem with that...although you could still slice right through your leg with it. Go figure.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby c0nsumer » July 2nd, 2010, 9:13 am

Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now. I'd almost say that it's too firm, as it's not tacky in the least.

Perhaps we should install a nice sensor and irrigation system along the length of the trail.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wingzz » July 2nd, 2010, 9:36 am

c0nsumer wrote:Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now. I'd almost say that it's too firm, as it's not tacky in the least.

Perhaps we should install a nice sensor and irrigation system along the length of the trail.

That would involve power tools
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby utabintarbo » July 2nd, 2010, 9:40 am

c0nsumer wrote:Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now. I'd almost say that it's too firm, as it's not tacky in the least.

The damned vegetation grows fast enough as it is. :evil:

Big thanks to Shari and the Critter Crew (Emma, Kyle, and Eric) for the trimming. It really kinda needed it. :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby mr_opjones » July 2nd, 2010, 9:58 am

Too wet or too dry, sounds like the trail needs some leaves.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 2nd, 2010, 10:18 am

Code: Select all
Addison may as well be pavement with a light coating of talcum powder right now.

Stony is similar except you have to add marbles on top of the pavement.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby dirt » July 2nd, 2010, 10:32 am

i.e. "I crashed last night, so it much be the trail"
:wink: :mrgreen:
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby c0nsumer » July 2nd, 2010, 10:38 am

dirt wrote:

i.e. "I crashed last night, so it much be the trail"
:wink: :mrgreen:

I'm sorta prone to washing out my front wheel anyway. :P

(I didn't actually mean that as a complaint... Addison is top notch right now.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions