CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby mrbikester » September 28th, 2013, 9:01 pm

That's great news but still doesn't explain why it was closed. Just curious.
mrbikester

Postby utabintarbo » September 29th, 2013, 12:17 am

mrbikester wrote:That's great news but still doesn't explain why it was closed. Just curious.

No further information was offered, which makes me think it was aliens. :alien:
utabintarbo

Postby dirt » September 29th, 2013, 7:52 am

utabintarbo wrote:
mrbikester wrote:That's great news but still doesn't explain why it was closed. Just curious.

No further information was offered, which makes me think it was aliens. :alien:

Speaking to Pauly yesterday, it doesn't sound like it was not official, because they don't know who did it.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby b_b » September 29th, 2013, 5:55 pm

I'll be near Dryden Sunday and considering riding down and doing a lap or 2 and riding back up. Looks like I should take PolyAnn Trail to Lake George? Where can I refill water at the park? Thanks...
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » September 29th, 2013, 7:17 pm

b_b wrote:I'll be near Dryden Sunday and considering riding down and doing a lap or 2 and riding back up. Looks like I should take PolyAnn Trail to Lake George? Where can I refill water at the park? Thanks...

If you look at the map it calls out water locations. They are blue posts with taps on them located between the parking lot and one of the picnic shelters.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » October 1st, 2013, 7:50 pm

Addison was clear, clean, & dry this evening.

Didn't see Pauly but there were many more crushed limestone patches and repairs.
lawn dart

Postby mrbikester » October 1st, 2013, 10:29 pm

Well, the trail was great today but when we got to the first two rock piles at 2.5 miles in someone had haphazardly put a bunch of very loose rocks on top of piles. This was done in such a bad way as it could really cause an accident. The rocks were just thown on top and were very loose. Not sure if anyone on this board did this but I think the rock piles were fine before and allowed most people to go through them. We removed the loose rocks.
mrbikester

Postby MambaRider728 » October 2nd, 2013, 8:03 am

Trail was in great shape last night when I rode it. There was a spot where they were working on the trail (with a sign posted "slow trail work ahead) and had some loose gravel on it, and a couple other spots had some loose gravel as well (a couple bridge approaches and some random spots.) Besides that the trail was fast and great riding!
2013 Trek Mamba *Upgrades coming soon*

"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
MambaRider728

Postby M3 » October 2nd, 2013, 10:53 am

mrbikester wrote:Well, the trail was great today but when we got to the first two rock piles at 2.5 miles in someone had haphazardly put a bunch of very loose rocks on top of piles. This was done in such a bad way as it could really cause an accident. The rocks were just thown on top and were very loose. Not sure if anyone on this board did this but I think the rock piles were fine before and allowed most people to go through them. We removed the loose rocks.

You shouldn't assume that was done by trail bandits. That easily could have been a work in progress by Pauly and was just waiting to get filled in with some dirt. You should probably post up on here so the trail coordinators can verify the work before potentially undoing someones hard work. I personally thought that there was no issue with the rocks. I rode over both areas without any issues yesterday.
M3

Postby almostolen » October 2nd, 2013, 7:39 pm

I doubt the rocks were pauly...he is probably in the works for putting a bridge over them. I used to love addison...pauly is taking things too far with so called trail improvements. Pauly...if you read this....stop dumbing down the trail...please.
almostolen

Postby cjn1014 » October 3rd, 2013, 12:35 pm

i couldn't agree less. the "features" that have been bridged over weren't really that great, or challenging. a bunch of water holding, muddy, exposed roots on a slight uphill are nothing but a flow killer.

if i could ask for anything out there, it'd be more mileage, especially a few tech loops. between the overnighting infrastructure (yurts/cabins/campsites), and the full-time trail employee, addison could be a destination spot, if the mileage was up in the mid-twenties.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby watchmyradical » October 3rd, 2013, 12:59 pm

I agree that some of the recent improvements have smoothed out parts that just weren't fun. However, some areas were completely unnecessary and dulled down the trails. Some random rocks and roots through the trail have been smoothed out for no reason beside to just smooth the trail. Along with the little rocky uphill right hand turn towards the end of the trail (after the uphill S-Turn down by the water). I really liked that section, you could carry speed into it and basically float over the rocks. Last time I road the trail it was completely filled in and smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the trail. I used to ride it a couple times a week but now ride it once every couple weeks.
Santa Cruz Nomad
Santa Cruz Highball
Gary Fisher Mullet
9 Zero 7 Fat Bike
watchmyradical

Postby utabintarbo » October 3rd, 2013, 1:01 pm

almostolen wrote:I doubt the rocks were pauly...he is probably in the works for putting a bridge over them. I used to love addison...pauly is taking things too far with so called trail improvements. Pauly...if you read this....stop dumbing down the trail...please.

We kinda had this conversation.

cjn1014 wrote:if i could ask for anything out there, it'd be more mileage, especially a few tech loops. between the overnighting infrastructure (yurts/cabins/campsites), and the full-time trail employee, addison could be a destination spot, if the mileage was up in the mid-twenties.

From your lips, to OCP's ears...

I'm not sure how much more can be added out there, given the penchant that area has for collecting water, but we are working on a few things. It will likely be an evolutionary process though.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » October 3rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

watchmyradical wrote:Last time I road the trail it was completely filled in and smooth.

Addison's rock gardens get re-packed with dirt every autumn or so and by spring time as the dirt compacts and wears out, putting it back to how you remember. This work is done to keep the rocks grouted in place.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » October 3rd, 2013, 1:08 pm

watchmyradical wrote:I agree that some of the recent improvements have smoothed out parts that just weren't fun. However, some areas were completely unnecessary and dulled down the trails. Some random rocks and roots through the trail have been smoothed out for no reason beside to just smooth the trail. Along with the little rocky uphill right hand turn towards the end of the trail (after the uphill S-Turn down by the water). I really liked that section, you could carry speed into it and basically float over the rocks. Last time I road the trail it was completely filled in and smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the trail. I used to ride it a couple times a week but now ride it once every couple weeks.

Every year in the Fall, dirt is added to the rock piles. This appears to "smooth them out" for a few weeks while the dirt settles. What is happening, however, is we are keeping the rocks firmly anchored so they don't come loose. After the snows, the dirt will all be where it is supposed to be, as will the rocks. Inevitably though, someone will mention it, and I will make this post again.

Enjoy the smoothness while it lasts. It will be nice and bumpy come Spring. :icon_thumleft:

Yeah, Steve beat me to it. :lol:
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments