CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Jayers » June 25th, 2010, 10:27 am

Where is the trailhead? I haven't been to this park before, but I want to try it out this weekend. I'm probably going to ride over from Bald Mtn, parking at either the lot at marker 17 or 18 in Bald Mountain. Just curious where to ride to and start on the trails at Addison.
Jayers
 
Posts: 131
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby str8flush24 » June 25th, 2010, 10:40 am

Once you park in the dirt lot take the paved path behind the concession stand/restroom building. It will curve around the beach area and then over a bridge. Trail head is on the left hand side.
User avatar
str8flush24
 
Posts: 335
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 11:37 am
Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Jayers » June 25th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Thanks. some of the directions and GPS maps I've seen don't jibe with the trail map at the Oakland Parks website. Are there markers that indicate where the mountain bike trails are and where they deviate from the park's trails? Or am I just wrong here?
Jayers
 
Posts: 131
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Roy » June 25th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Jayers,
Addison is probably the best marked trail in Michigan. The only tricky part is in the back along Lake George Rd, when the trail markers seem to end. Just keep going.
It is a great ride, go for it.
Roy
User avatar
Roy
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: August 14th, 2002, 9:04 pm

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby str8flush24 » June 25th, 2010, 2:24 pm

For the most part the trail once you get out there is pretty well marked. There are a lot of signs indicating MTB trails vs horse trails. Three tough spots though for a first timer. One is finding the trail head. Two is about half way through the loop(~3mi) you come across a paved section which isnt well marked. As you come down the hill keep going straight down the paved path for several hundred yards and follow the pavement around to the right. Single track picks up again on your right hand side. Third is getting out after the loop(~6mi). If your not paying attention you will be doing another loop before you know it. Hope that helps.
User avatar
str8flush24
 
Posts: 335
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 11:37 am
Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » June 25th, 2010, 11:18 pm

BIG tree down just before the 5.5 mile marker. Un-huckable. Park has been notified.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby fizgig » June 26th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Saw that tree today, looks like someone took off most of the branches but couldn't get through the trunk. Trail was perfect except for a few wily tree branches poking out into the trail, I've never seen this little mud there, almost bone dry. I was the only one out there from 4-6 that I could tell, kind of a shame, I love this trail.'

Am I the only one that uses the trailhead over by the road to the Banquet center?
aka Whitey
User avatar
fizgig
 
Posts: 274
Joined: January 14th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » June 26th, 2010, 10:10 pm

fizgig wrote:Saw that tree today, looks like someone took off most of the branches but couldn't get through the trunk. Trail was perfect except for a few wily tree branches poking out into the trail, I've never seen this little mud there, almost bone dry. I was the only one out there from 4-6 that I could tell, kind of a shame, I love this trail.'

Am I the only one that uses the trailhead over by the road to the Banquet center?


No, but then you miss some pretty nice stuff. Oh, and a huge hill. :P
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby fizgig » June 26th, 2010, 10:32 pm

the other trailhead starts with some climbing as well. if you do the loop more than once you hit most of that section (I think?).

do you mean that big hill to climb on the 2 track? I hate that one, there's no payoff.
aka Whitey
User avatar
fizgig
 
Posts: 274
Joined: January 14th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Jayers » June 28th, 2010, 8:51 am

Tried to get a ride in between thundstorms yesterday (unsuccessfully). Wiped out in the first half mile in some greasy mud at the bottom of a hill on a curve. This is a nice fun trail that I look forward to riding when it is a bit drier. Nice combination of different styles, without being a grind. In particular I liked the more open area in what I believe was the northwest area of the trail, where you're darting in and out of the hiking trail and pass through a couple of split rail fences. This trail is what other nearby trails should be.

BTW, that tree that is down: because I was keeping my eyes peeled for it I noticed a lot of trees that are actually just like it: Dead, rotting, and waiting to fall down across the trail. Should the park ever need something to work on, a couple of those dead barkless trees should be dropped to prevent unwanted damage/blockage.

Kudos to the trail coordinators for a nice trail.
Jayers
 
Posts: 131
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 8:57 am

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » June 28th, 2010, 9:15 am

Jayers wrote:BTW, that tree that is down: because I was keeping my eyes peeled for it I noticed a lot of trees that are actually just like it: Dead, rotting, and waiting to fall down across the trail. Should the park ever need something to work on, a couple of those dead barkless trees should be dropped to prevent unwanted damage/blockage.

Kudos to the trail coordinators for a nice trail.


Funding issues being what they are, I don't see the park being too proactive on this front until Fall at the earliest. Likely more cost-effective to wait for a problem to occur rather than hunt for them.

And Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your ride, and will come back soon. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby bh357 » June 28th, 2010, 9:45 am

utabintarbo wrote:
Jayers wrote:BTW, that tree that is down: because I was keeping my eyes peeled for it I noticed a lot of trees that are actually just like it: Dead, rotting, and waiting to fall down across the trail. Should the park ever need something to work on, a couple of those dead barkless trees should be dropped to prevent unwanted damage/blockage.

Kudos to the trail coordinators for a nice trail.


Funding issues being what they are, I don't see the park being too proactive on this front until Fall at the earliest. Likely more cost-effective to wait for a problem to occur rather than hunt for them.

And Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your ride, and will come back soon. :D


Would the park be ok with the MMBA felling dead trees along the trail?
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
User avatar
bh357
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: June 21st, 2006, 9:12 am
Location: Lapeer County

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » June 28th, 2010, 9:59 am

bh357 wrote:Would the park be ok with the MMBA felling dead trees along the trail?


AFAIK, they wish chain saws to lie exclusively within their purview. Little stuff is mostly at our discretion. Mostly. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Sortaslow » June 28th, 2010, 10:30 am

Am I the only one that uses the trailhead over by the road to the Banquet center?


I use it. Thought it was the trailhead. A few posts up mentions the curved path behind concession stand, then trailhead on left. I'm all confused now.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby NovaraAspen » June 28th, 2010, 10:33 am

Sortaslow wrote:
Am I the only one that uses the trailhead over by the road to the Banquet center?


I use it. Thought it was the trailhead. A few posts up mentions the curved path behind concession stand, then trailhead on left. I'm all confused now.


Same here, I thought that was the "official" trailhead. (The one that starts out, curves to the right and then turns to Equistrian trail, right after you turn left on to the bike trail)
User avatar
NovaraAspen
 
Posts: 341
Joined: May 14th, 2008, 11:53 am
Location: Chesterfield

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests