For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby PK » September 18th, 2013, 10:57 am

Great.... Now we have to look out for your "Beep" :D

Pete
PK

Postby utabintarbo » September 18th, 2013, 1:10 pm

M3 wrote:The trail was perfect out there yesterday. Watch out for the deer though. I saw 4 of them on the first half of the trail, 2 of which were way too close for comfort. They were right in the middle of the trail around blind corners. Scared the *beep* out of me!

Oddly enough, they start migrating over to Addison from Bald Mountain at the same time hunting season starts. Eventually, they learn to stay away from the trails, but expect the population to be "enhanced" until the snow flies (and the culls start).
utabintarbo

Postby Ti_fighter » September 18th, 2013, 8:23 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
M3 wrote:
Oddly enough, they start migrating over to Addison from Bald Mountain at the same time hunting season starts. Eventually, they learn to stay away from the trails, but expect the population to be "enhanced" until the snow flies (and the culls start).

The deer aren't the only ones....

After some genius in an orange hat "accidentally" pointed his loaded crossbow at me at Bald Mtn a couple of years ago, I migrate to non-DNR trails after Sept 15 every year.
2009 Motobecane Fantom Team 26FS
2014 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29HT
Ti_fighter

Postby str8flush24 » September 18th, 2013, 10:41 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
lawn dart wrote:Side note; What do people think of the new bridge over the roots?
It seems the old trail, even over the roots, was a faster line. *shrug*

As of now, I tend to agree. When I was out there Monday, the approaches to the bridge seemed a bit steep. That will likely change, much as happened with the bridge in the peninsula.

Same here. Someone put a lot of work into this with minimal end results. The time/effort/money could have been spent in better spots IMO. But who am i to say. I only donate and have very little time to volunteer. :(
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby champ128 » September 19th, 2013, 4:36 pm

str8flush24 wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:
lawn dart wrote:Side note; What do people think of the new bridge over the roots?
It seems the old trail, even over the roots, was a faster line. *shrug*

As of now, I tend to agree. When I was out there Monday, the approaches to the bridge seemed a bit steep. That will likely change, much as happened with the bridge in the peninsula.

Same here. Someone put a lot of work into this with minimal end results. The time/effort/money could have been spent in better spots IMO. But who am i to say. I only donate and have very little time to volunteer. :(

I think people keep forgetting that this was not done by CRAMBA, but by Pauly, who is an Oakland County Parks employee. CRAMBA resources or money were not used.
champ128

Postby lawn dart » September 24th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Addison was all clear this evening. There were many filled/repaired areas that were still loose and sketchy.

The approach to the root bridge has seen lots of work and is becoming a bit more "approachable".

Edit: Watch for the chipmunks! They're racing across the trail like crazy.
lawn dart

Postby chris_werth » September 26th, 2013, 7:56 am

Pauly was hard at work last night, filling some areas with dirt and fixing the approach on the new bridge. Huge thanks to Pauly and the other Addison Oaks Trail guys for another great year of awesome trails out there. Thank you for all the time and effort you all put into the trails. We are lucky to have you guys (Pauly) to keep up the trails.
http://www.dubzbikesandboards.com

To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby irishpitbull » September 26th, 2013, 11:00 am

chris_werth wrote:Pauly was hard at work last night, filling some areas with dirt and fixing the approach on the new bridge. Huge thanks to Pauly and the other Addison Oaks Trail guys for another great year of awesome trails out there. Thank you for all the time and effort you all put into the trails. We are lucky to have you guys (Pauly) to keep up the trails.

+1 This trail is fast.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby utabintarbo » September 26th, 2013, 11:06 am

irishpitbull wrote:
chris_werth wrote:Pauly was hard at work last night, filling some areas with dirt and fixing the approach on the new bridge. Huge thanks to Pauly and the other Addison Oaks Trail guys for another great year of awesome trails out there. Thank you for all the time and effort you all put into the trails. We are lucky to have you guys (Pauly) to keep up the trails.

+1 This trail is fast.

I'll make sure they (OCP and Pauly) know you guys approve! :D
utabintarbo

Postby mrbikester » September 26th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Trail was PERFECT today. Wondering why at marker 11 the trail was blocked off and forced you on to the old way which is now the connector trail.. I really liked the new trail at that point.
Also wondering why there were orange poles in and near the peninsula loop?
mrbikester

Postby utabintarbo » September 27th, 2013, 4:57 am

mrbikester wrote:Trail was PERFECT today. Wondering why at marker 11 the trail was blocked off and forced you on to the old way which is now the connector trail.. I really liked the new trail at that point.

No idea about the blockage. I'll investigate.

As for the orange carsonite markers: viewtopic.php?p=832012#p832012
utabintarbo

Postby mr_opjones » September 27th, 2013, 5:36 am

utabintarbo wrote:
mrbikester wrote:Trail was PERFECT today. Wondering why at marker 11 the trail was blocked off and forced you on to the old way which is now the connector trail.. I really liked the new trail at that point.

No idea about the blockage. I'll investigate.

As for the orange carsonite markers: viewtopic.php?p=832012#p832012

Okay I'll admit it's early, but your link took me in a time warp. I thought i was on a different thread, but a familiar one, and read thru the last couple pages only to come right back to your post. Mind blown Déjà vu.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby PK » September 27th, 2013, 7:33 am

Those appear to be emergency vehicle guides for access to the peninsula area. After the issue a couple weeks ago, it appears they are being proactive in not having to hunt for a way to get back there. Generally speaking, it will affect the actual trail very little, only widening it (sufficient for Gator/golf cart access) in a couple of places.

It made sense to me....

Pete
PK

Postby Skyt » September 27th, 2013, 9:27 am

The trail blockage at marker 11 is a hazard if carrying any speed. It caught me by surprise and had to get on the brakes hard in order to avoid it. Further down the trail from that point, another barrier is up, right at the left turn to head uphill to marker 9. Seems as if someone wanted to block off that short portion of the trail.
Skyt

Postby utabintarbo » September 27th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Skyt wrote:The trail blockage at marker 11 is a hazard if carrying any speed. It caught me by surprise and had to get on the brakes hard in order to avoid it. Further down the trail from that point, another barrier is up, right at the left turn to head uphill to marker 9. Seems as if someone wanted to block off that short portion of the trail.

Word from the park is that the section has been re-opened. Go out and ride it! :D
utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments