CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby Wolverine » September 4th, 2013, 11:53 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Steve, In the spirit of constructive feedback,I'd like to suggest putting the singletrack mile markers on the map. It's a great map, but tough to pinpoint your relative location when you're out on the trail since the numbered posts are on the hiking trail not visible from the singletrack.

They are already on there. Click here and see the key and X.X markers (where X is a number) along the trail route.

Whoops! I meant to suggest putting mile markers on the trail. The last time I was out there there we didn't find any markers on the singletrack that corresponded to the map. The hiking trail has numbered signed posts that corresponded to numbers on the map we had, but nothing like that for the singletrack.
Angie
Wolverine

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2013, 11:59 am

Wolverine wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
Wolverine wrote:Steve, In the spirit of constructive feedback,I'd like to suggest putting the singletrack mile markers on the map. It's a great map, but tough to pinpoint your relative location when you're out on the trail since the numbered posts are on the hiking trail not visible from the singletrack.

They are already on there. Click here and see the key and X.X markers (where X is a number) along the trail route.

Whoops! I meant to suggest putting mile markers on the trail. The last time I was out there there we didn't find any markers on the singletrack that corresponded to the map. The hiking trail has numbered signed posts that corresponded to numbers on the map we had, but nothing like that for the singletrack.

There are both intersection markers along the trail and mile markers. The intersection markers are on the map posts and the mile markers are brown Carsonite with number stickers on them inserted right along the edge of the trail. Each is located at the point indicated on the map.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby risnewski » September 5th, 2013, 6:05 am

Made it out to Addison for the first time in a couple years and found the trail in perfect condition and even more fun that before. Congrats Bob and crew for doing a great job out there.
risnewski

Postby utabintarbo » September 5th, 2013, 6:23 am

risnewski wrote:Made it out to Addison for the first time in a couple years and found the trail in perfect condition and even more fun that before. Congrats Bob and crew for doing a great job out there.

Thanks!

It's mostly Pauly's work, but I don't mind taking the credit. :D
utabintarbo

Postby dirt » September 5th, 2013, 8:23 am

risnewski wrote:Made it out to Addison for the first time in a couple years and found the trail in perfect condition and even more fun that before. Congrats Bob and crew for doing a great job out there.

:icon_thumleft:
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby 2slo2endo » September 5th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Sortaslow wrote:Oakview middle school. I just buy the combined metro park and Oakland county parks pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks, Sortaslow!

I buy the metropark - didn't know there was a combo available!
2slo2endo

Postby utabintarbo » September 5th, 2013, 8:02 pm

2slo2endo wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:Oakview middle school. I just buy the combined metro park and Oakland county parks pass.

Thanks, Sortaslow!

I buy the metropark - didn't know there was a combo available!

You will remember for next year, right? :)
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » September 5th, 2013, 8:39 pm

risnewski wrote:Made it out to Addison for the first time in a couple years and found the trail in perfect condition and even more fun that before.

During our ride at Addison this evening, we spoke with a few people who said similar things.
"My first time here. The trail is awesome!"
"We normally ride Holdridge. Is this trail always this smooth?"

We saw LOTS of riders, evidently preparing for the race this weekend. The trail was dry (even dusty and loose in some spots), clear and fast. We hooked up with a "more experienced" gentleman for a mile or so and booked some of our highest speeds through those sections. Many thanks!

Side note; What do people think of the new bridge over the roots?
It seems the old trail, even over the roots, was a faster line. *shrug*
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » September 6th, 2013, 4:49 am

lawn dart wrote:Side note; What do people think of the new bridge over the roots?

As of now, I tend to agree. When I was out there Monday, the approaches to the bridge seemed a bit steep. That will likely change, much as happened with the bridge in the peninsula.
utabintarbo

Postby jcrazyjj » September 7th, 2013, 4:44 pm

was out there this morning/early afternoon, last nights rain helped out a lot.
jcrazyjj

Postby c0nsumer » September 9th, 2013, 5:36 pm

lawn dart wrote:Side note; What do people think of the new bridge over the roots?

Having ridden ~5 laps there over the past few days, I think it's just fine. It's different, and takes a little more of a climb to get on to, but it gives you a nice little boost at the end. I never really cared for those roots, as they weren't any more technical than riding on brake bumps. They were just simply rough. I rode around the side of the bridge at one point yesterday to re-visit the roots and it was no faster, and was unpleasantly rough. So, overall, I think the bridge is a net positive.

Given a couple months and it'll weather and blend in just like the rest of the bridges at Addison and it'll just be part of the trail. Except it won't be a flat, straight, choppy piece of trail.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby champ128 » September 10th, 2013, 7:16 am

I agree about the bridge. I would never have complained about riding over the roots, but will not complain about the bridge either. I am thankful that we have a guy working tirelessly to improve the trail.
champ128

Postby Sortaslow » September 10th, 2013, 8:40 am

I hated the root section. Some claim covering it takes away the tech from the trail. If that is "tech", wow. It was just bumpy and lame.

Sortaslow

Postby dirt » September 10th, 2013, 8:52 am

I have to admit that when I first say the lumber there, I was thankful that I wouldn't have to be riding those roots anymore.. The section was originally very loamy and soft, and after a few years, the soft soil packed down and exposed all of the roots.. The trail had gotten pretty wide as people had went left and right of the trail to try to avoid the roots.

As previous posters have stated, that wasn't tech, there was nothing technical about that section, it was just slow, annoying trail. The bridge, and lack of roots, are a welcome addition to the trail IMHO. It fits the nature of the trail.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby M3 » September 18th, 2013, 10:47 am

The trail was perfect out there yesterday. Watch out for the deer though. I saw 4 of them on the first half of the trail, 2 of which were way too close for comfort. They were right in the middle of the trail around blind corners. Scared the *beep* out of me!
M3

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments