CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby chris_werth » April 4th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Bob, I looked at that corner tonight and it wouldn't take much to continue the trail about 15-20 feet then make a nice swooping left turn to get up the hill. You will still have the hill to climb, but the corner won't be so tight to get up it.
Just my $0.02.

The trees that are down on the two track climb next to the banquet center will need a chaninsaw to be removed.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby kcnado » April 5th, 2010, 11:38 am

Rode yesterday morning... stellar shape!
Few tree's down, I moved what branches I could along the way, but one big one had to hike-a-bike.
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby compengr » April 6th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Could someone kindly point me to the Addison Oaks trail map or the trailhead location?

Thinking of heading out there this weekend for the first time and have no idea where to start. I did find a park map http://www.destinationoakland.com/parksandtrails/mapslocations/Documents/addison.pdf, but it makes no mention of bike trails.
compengr

Postby utabintarbo » April 7th, 2010, 6:48 am

compengr wrote:Could someone kindly point me to the Addison Oaks trail map or the trailhead location?

Thinking of heading out there this weekend for the first time and have no idea where to start. I did find a park map http://www.destinationoakland.com/parksandtrails/mapslocations/Documents/addison.pdf, but it makes no mention of bike trails.

I have a couple different versions. I will try and get one up shortly.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby fattyclark » April 7th, 2010, 10:08 am

Here is a link to a Gmap for you. The red push pin is what I use as the new Trail head. You take the left hand turn off the paved path. The blue bubble is the old shared trail head with the horses .
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109321757358871925342.0004400409bb6fa9a3c6a&ll=42.804721,-83.170023&spn=0.004896,0.013797&t=k&z=16
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby gossamer » April 7th, 2010, 10:57 am

Try this link, this should the race course route;
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15283629
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby jalopy jockey » April 7th, 2010, 11:06 am

compengr wrote:Could someone kindly point me to the Addison Oaks trail map or the trailhead location?

Using that map you can start at E and you'll end up on the paved trail near 16 (towards 2) and it will take you between the 2 lakes and back to the parking lot. The trail itself is very well marked along the way.

It makes for the easiest to follow trail. You'll miss a bit of the new stuff that completes the loop, but if you have a second lap in you you can hit in then. When you hit the paved path near the lake the connector trail is straight across the paved path.

It should also be noted that you do use the paved path for a bit on the loop. That is near 7. You'll follow the trail for a minute or two and then the trail goes off to the right.

A lot of us still use the old trailhead to start as it's right there by the park entrance.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby compengr » April 7th, 2010, 11:32 am

Thanks everyone! Just the info I was looking for :icon_thumright:
compengr

Postby RMXByker » April 9th, 2010, 7:39 pm

Looking at riding tomorrow morning. Any word on the trail conditions?
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby utabintarbo » April 9th, 2010, 7:45 pm

RMXByker wrote:Looking at riding tomorrow morning. Any word on the trail conditions?

I haven't been out there in the past few days, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence that the front half will be ~70/30% damp/wet, and the back half will be 90/10% damp/wet. there will probably be several places (nearly all in the front half) that will be kinda nasty, but rideable. I define the front half as the portion before the paved path.

Let me know how close I got. :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby RMXByker » April 9th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully its not to bad. I will keep an eye out for leaving marks. If theres prints, I won't ride it.

Thanks Bob.

Stable
RMXByker

Postby RMXByker » April 10th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Things were a bit slick out there this morning. A few spots were a little to damp for me to be comfortable riding through...Pulled the cross move and hopped off and carried. Other than that it was a great morning minus the cold.

Stable
RMXByker

Postby utabintarbo » April 11th, 2010, 3:35 pm

For whatever reason, the top of the (initial) hill has stayed really wet. There are two rutty mud puddles on that section just before the road crossing. I would probably avoid that section for a bit, either starting from the old trailhead, or riding up the road by the banquet center to cut out the affected section.

There is a tree down just a bit before the 2-track along Lake George which barely covers the trail - it can be ridden around until it is removed. Where the trail swoops out into the air field, there is water puddling right at the apex of the curve. Otherwise, the trail was in pretty good shape.

Don't be surprised to see daylight just after the small bridge in the Pinball Machine section, as ITC (IIRC) has clear-cut a 30 foot corridor right there. We knew it was coming, but it is still a bit startling to see it.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby kcnado » April 12th, 2010, 11:55 am

utabintarbo wrote:Don't be surprised to see daylight just after the small bridge in the Pinball Machine section, as ITC (IIRC) has clear-cut a 30 foot corridor right there. We knew it was coming, but it is still a bit startling to see it.

What section are you referring to as the "Pinball Section"?
Is this something new within the past week??
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby utabintarbo » April 12th, 2010, 12:01 pm

kcnado wrote:What section are you referring to as the "Pinball Section"?
Is this something new within the past week??

The "Pinball Machine" is the section of tight trees just after the swoop out into the field. BTW, that's not an official name, just one that several of us came up with.

And yes, this happened in the last week-and-a-half.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions