CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 27th, 2013, 11:59 am

Decide to run instead, didn't want to get there to see a muddy trail and be turned away again...
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Jeeper91 » June 28th, 2013, 9:12 am

Has anyone been out to Addison yet? Was thinking about riding after work today but don't want to drive 20 miles if it's a mud bath, lol
Jeeper91

Postby lawn dart » June 30th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Addison is awesome! All that rain and the place is still in great riding shape -- was probably even ride-able Saturday evening.
There were still some AW S#!T corners (why is it always the corners?!) that were gooey. but everywhere else was tacky or even dusty.
We cleared a fairly sizable tree off the trail with the help of another rider. Odd, because it wasn't there on our first lap. It's on the south side, at about the one mile mark.

Go ride!
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » June 30th, 2013, 8:55 pm

lawn dart wrote:Addison is awesome! All that rain and the place is still in great riding shape -- was probably even ride-able Saturday evening.
There were still some AW S#!T corners (why is it always the corners?!) that were gooey. but everywhere else was tacky or even dusty.
We cleared a fairly sizable tree off the trail with the help of another rider. Odd, because it wasn't there on our first lap. It's on the south side, at about the one mile mark.

Go ride!

Thanks for the tree removal! :icon_thumleft:

And we put the mud in the corners to keep you awake! :twisted: :wink:
utabintarbo

Postby Jeeper91 » July 1st, 2013, 2:05 pm

Thanks Lawn Dart ! And ditto the thx for tree removal.
Was out at Tree Farm this morning ( 07/01 ) definitely can be ridden but everything
was still a little damp and most of the switchback corners were greasy, FYI.
Jeeper91

Postby utabintarbo » July 2nd, 2013, 2:00 pm

FYI: AT&T is working at the back of the park, and has cable laying across the trail in a couple of spots after the cell tower. Apparently, they can be ridden over. Just be aware. (Hat Tip to Shari :D )
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » July 2nd, 2013, 8:02 pm

Addison was awesome this evening, tacky and fast. Some areas have even dried to the point of getting loose & dusty.
Saw the AT&T trucks. Looked like they were wrapping things up - no cables across the trail.

Go Ride!
lawn dart

Postby Siccus » July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 am

The trail was awesome this morning. No mud and no obstructions. I noticed the trail patches, especially the washout repair at mile 1.5, and they are all appreciated. Thanks for keeping this one of my favorite trails in the area. Have fun, all!
Siccus

Postby lawn dart » July 4th, 2013, 11:46 am

July 4th morning... What he said ^^^ . :mrgreen:
Pauly is a madman. Amazing all the touch-ups he manages to do. We all benefit from his outstanding work. :D

There were one or two face-slappers, a couple of elbow-slappers, and a few knee-slappers (haha!), but nothing that would catch you off guard or couldn't be ridden around/through.

We appear to have received a little moisture overnight which has kept most of the trail exceptionally tacky.
Very good conditions.
lawn dart

Postby lawn dart » July 6th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Addison was fantastic this morning. The humidity and/or morning dew has kept just the right amount of moisture in the trail; it's grippy and fast.

Pauly was out again, this time with the weed-whipper, practically polishing the trail. We saw him a few times, and each time he said, "Thanks for riding Addison guys!" What an amazing attribute for our sport and "his" trail. *thumbsup!*

Imagine how great Bald Mountain would be if a Pauly-type person were allowed to do his thing there.
lawn dart

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 6th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Imagine how great Bald Mountain would be if a Pauly-type person were allowed to do his thing there.

You're new here aren't you? :lol: Years ago Pauly tried to work some magic at Bald Mountain however it was not well received by the park, mainly because it was done without their approval and caused a ruckus with the DNR. Believe it or not the same was true at Addison when Paul was doing work on the trail that was not authorized. In fact, it almost cost us trail access. Paul was replaced as TC of Addison at the time to help soothe the park/MMBA relationship.

But that was old park management at Addison and now look, Paul is a park employee that gets paid for working on the trail! All trails should all be so lucky to have land managers with the resources to pay people to maintain the trail. The Oakland county Parks realizes what a draw the trail is and has allocated funds for its upkeep. Pauly does a great job keeping the trail in good shape.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby lawn dart » July 6th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Steve_Kinley wrote:You're new here aren't you? :lol:
Guilty as charged. :oops:

Many thanks for "The Rest of the Story". Sad that politics and egos hamstring talented & dedicated people, but it's also very gratifying to see that -- once in a while -- good people make sure good decisions are made.

I rode Bald Mtn and Addison 20 years ago. At that time Bald Mtn was more entertaining. :shock:

I certainly recognize the improvements made to Addison since then. Many thanks to ALL the people who have contributed to that effort.

It is just that with one trail (Addison) basically being a well-run rising star, the "sister" trail (Bald Mtn) has become a frumpy ugly duckling by comparison.
In no way am I saying I'd like Bald Mtn to be just like Addison -- it has its own unique personality that should remain -- but simply sorting out the muddy/gooey areas would make Bald Mtn a fantastic, complimentary counterpoint to Addison.
I also understand there are many folks who are working hard to improve Bald Mtn, and they must be even more frustrated than me. My hat is off to them.
lawn dart

Postby jjmcwill » July 9th, 2013, 9:45 pm

I parked on Lake George road (at the small parking lot that accesses the Bald Mountain trail) and road Bald Mountain, then Addison this evening. Much to my dismay, the gate on the Addison Oaks connector on Lake George Rd was closed and locked. I had to ride around to the front entrance.

Got caught by the rain that moved in as I was finishing the last couple of miles. The ride back down Predmore and up Lk George Rd to my car was a muddy one.

The Addison Oaks trail itself was in good condition. My first time over the new bridge. Very cool! Addison Oaks is a great trail. If the weather hadn't moved in, I probably would have done at least another half loop at Addison before calling it a night.
jjmcwill

Postby CraveSingletrack » July 10th, 2013, 7:53 am

How much rain did you guys get up there? Think Addison will be ride-able?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby lawn dart » July 10th, 2013, 10:16 am

We received some rain yesterday evening/night, but not a massive downpour.
From what I've seen of the trail recently I'm willing to bet that Addison will still have some wet spots but overall will be very rideable after 12:00 noon.
lawn dart

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments