CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Addison Oaks

Postby Steve_Kinley » December 27th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Trail was great this morning but studs are advisable. Some of the corners right before uphills are slick, just when you begin to apply the power to go up the hill :oops:
There is a tree down right before the split log as well as the one after it that was already mentioned. Another small one near the lake but its ridable. There are some deep tracks in the two track from park vehicles, these areas are the most difficult right now if you venture into a rut.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Pauly » January 6th, 2010, 7:32 pm

The tire tracks may have been from D.T.E. they need to clear cut some of the park . Yes we will loss some single track .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby Steve_Kinley » January 6th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Where will we lose any singletrack? When I was out there a week ago I didn't see any changes.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby utabintarbo » January 9th, 2010, 4:17 pm

I figured that because the snow tended to taper off as one went north, Addison wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong.

Anywhere from 3-6 inches in the first ~1/4 mile I got to. Only deer preceded me. Pretty unrideable for most mortals.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Pauly » January 10th, 2010, 10:05 am

From what I looked at , the power lines from Drainer road and Lake George road corner , through the park to Upland Hills farm . The power lines cut across Lake George road from the park to Upland hills farm . I think D.T.E. is going to cut everything out 30 feet on both sides of the power lines .
The only single track we will loose is the small area just after the glider field , Fattyclark named it Pinball . I'm not sure if they will be removing the stumps from the ground around the tread , I hope so , Bob may want to follow up on that .
There is a lot going on this year and it is almost all good , except the clear cutting .
Pauly
Pauly
Pauly

Postby mtb_frk » February 4th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Anybody been out on the trail recently?
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby Pauly » February 6th, 2010, 7:02 pm

No the trail is just not ride-able this time of the year . The dirt roads around northern Oakland County are in really great shape most with little traffic .
Do not park at the park without a permit the fine the last time I checked was 140 dollars .
Pauly
Pauly

Postby MTB_Jay » February 7th, 2010, 7:47 am

mtb_frk and I tried Addison yesterday, hoping that after the thaw a couple weeks ago the trail wouldn't be too bad. We both had studs, but there was a lot of really crunchy snow that was just soft enough to not support us. That made for a really tough ride so we bailed after about 2 miles. I think a Pugsley would be great out there now. We then rode over to Bald Mountain north, but it looked like more of the same so dirt roads it was.
MTB_Jay

Postby PK » March 19th, 2010, 2:56 pm

WOW!
I had to look far down the list to even find this thread.....
Today we rode up to Addison just to look around and see the conditions so we know what to expect on the upcoming trailday.
WOW!
We were able to ride the trail. (There had been others before and there was ruts.)
It's soft, but very much rideable. As a matter-of-fact, riding it now will help smooth-out the existing pizza-cutters.
We rode it backwards, from the log ride but only had time for about 3 miles.
Some of those areas are usually some of the wettest so I don't feel bad saying that it's open ...for now....

Pete
PK

Postby utabintarbo » March 19th, 2010, 8:25 pm

I rode the front half of Addison (up to the paved path). There was much that was rideable, but also sections that were too soft. There was also evidence of a controlled burn on the west side of the park (see pics).

ImageImage

With the coming rains, I would approach Addison carefully for the next couple of weeks.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby PK » March 19th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the more complete report Bob.
Pete
PK

Postby joeyjoejoe » March 19th, 2010, 8:46 pm

So is Addison too soft, or good to go for tomorrow AM?

I am getting mixed messages from Bob and Pete.
joeyjoejoe

Postby PK » March 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm

I rode the last 3 miles of trail. It was soft but not muddy.
I had to leave before I could check-out the rest of the trail.
Bob heard from me and rode the first half (Up to the paved trail as I recall) He reported many muddy spots.

Sounds like it wouldn't be fun.

If you had to ride it, try riding just the last half and use the paved trail to complete the loop.

We plan to be there with some hand tools / rakes cleaning up the trail Saturday AM @ 8:30.
We park at the backside of the maintenance building. (The first building as you head out on the driveway towards the banquet hall)

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » March 19th, 2010, 8:59 pm

The front half is still kinda soft in places. The second half, not so much. There is water across the trail in one or two places. It is open, but I won't be going back (on my bike) for a few weeks.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

utabintarbo

Postby PK » March 20th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Like Bob said, the first 3 or 4 miles are pretty soft.
Only the miles East of the paved trail was firm enough for a fun ride.

Today Steve, Bob and I went out there to scout the trail before the upcoming trail day.
Well, we ended up taking some tools with us, one cheap leaf blower, and a couple of hand tools.

We cleared just about the whole trail. Only the last mile and the Banquet hall connector didn't get the leaf blower treatment.
We also cleared a couple of deadfalls, and trimmed back some vegetation.
I plan to go back there soon and finish everything we didn't get to.

Overall, we all agreed that the trail has never looked this good this early in the season.
No doubt due the advanced trail building techniques done long before we started with the upkeep, and it's our opinion that removing the leaves last fall greatly helped this spring with the clay trail tread that, once dried, makes Addison so fast.

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions