CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby c0nsumer » June 4th, 2013, 7:34 am

mrbikester wrote:My wife Rita and I rode the trail today and it was in perfect shape. There are just a few face slappers. Pauly was out there with clippers doing some much appreciated trimming.
Rode for the first time the new Connector Trail Bypass and liked it. Only suggestion is that at the end near the cell tower where you come back out on the old trail there should be a SIGN telling you where the new entrance to Lake George Rd is because at that point you have passed it by a little. For people that aren't aware it would be helpful to have a sign and arrow at that point.

PK wrote::shock: That's a great idea Rick. Maybe add a permanent signpost at the westbound 2-track to the little singletrack intersection and have arrows showing both ways.

Pete.

I agree, this is a good idea. I think it'd be best where Pete said, where this temporary sign currently sits. Something pointing right for the MTB loop, and straight ahead for the Connector Trail / Non-motorized Entrance / etc.

I'll suggest that to the park this morning. They will be reviewing the signage currently out there so this is a good time for us to mention it.

-Steve
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » June 4th, 2013, 10:27 am

Late notice, but I will be out there trimming while riding this evening. Sort of a "rolling trail day". :)

Join me by the concession stand ~5PM if you'd like. I'd appreciate the company and the help. :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » June 4th, 2013, 11:39 am

c0nsumer wrote:
mrbikester wrote:My wife Rita and I rode the trail today and it was in perfect shape. There are just a few face slappers. Pauly was out there with clippers doing some much appreciated trimming.
Rode for the first time the new Connector Trail Bypass and liked it. Only suggestion is that at the end near the cell tower where you come back out on the old trail there should be a SIGN telling you where the new entrance to Lake George Rd is because at that point you have passed it by a little. For people that aren't aware it would be helpful to have a sign and arrow at that point.

PK wrote::shock: That's a great idea Rick. Maybe add a permanent signpost at the westbound 2-track to the little singletrack intersection and have arrows showing both ways.

Pete.

I agree, this is a good idea. I think it'd be best where Pete said, where this temporary sign currently sits. Something pointing right for the MTB loop, and straight ahead for the Connector Trail / Non-motorized Entrance / etc.

I'll suggest that to the park this morning. They will be reviewing the signage currently out there so this is a good time for us to mention it.

-Steve

Following up on this, I heard back from the Oakland County Parks and Rec folks and they really like the idea of a sign there, so it'll go on their list of signs that needed at Addison Oaks. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Steve
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby mrbikester » June 4th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Yes, a sign where the westbound two track goes straight at the temporary sign is a better idea.

We rode the trail today and nice to see Pauly trimming and lots of racers pre riding for the race.
We used our small saw and clippers to get rid of some nasty face slappers. The trail will be perfect for this weekends race.

Rick
mrbikester

Postby MtnBikerMi » June 6th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Trail was in good shape today, but started raining when I was getting to the end. Took some short clips of a few of my favorite parts of the trail. http://youtu.be/UMZMtYI30n4
MtnBikerMi

Postby bax » June 6th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Nice clip - Thanks for sharing.
bax

Postby mrbikester » June 6th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Enjoyed the movie clip Mtnbikermi. Funny how a video or photo just doesn't do justice to the steepness of some trails. Some of those downhills looked flat.
Fun to watch though.
My wife and I rode Addison today just after the rain and trail was in very nice shape. No mud. Of course, Pauly was out there again.......this time with a lawn mower. Every trail should have a Pauly.
Rick
mrbikester

Postby utabintarbo » June 7th, 2013, 7:39 am

mrbikester wrote:My wife and I rode Addison today just after the rain and trail was in very nice shape. No mud. Of course, Pauly was out there again.......this time with a lawn mower. Every trail should have a Pauly.
Rick

I'm actually kinda glad it got a little rain out there. It was getting a bit dusty in spots.

And yes, Pauly makes me look good. :D

On that note, look for a trail day announcement in the near future. Pauly needs some help with a boardwalk out in the Lake Loop, and the top of the initial hill (and a few other places) need some trimming. Have to check schedules. :)
utabintarbo

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 7th, 2013, 7:54 am

^^ Guessing that's what all the wood is for that's been there a while?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby utabintarbo » June 7th, 2013, 7:57 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:^^ Guessing that's what all the wood is for that's been there a while?

Yep.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » June 7th, 2013, 8:10 am

One thing to remember is that Pauly is an Oakland County Parks employee and thus it's his job (literally) to be out at the park frequently. Some of his work assignments include trail work, which is great for us. :)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby mrbikester » June 7th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I understand that Pauly is an employee, however he has a special connection to the trail and over the years before he was an employee he had devoted MUCH of his own time to maintaining that trail. He understands the terrain out there and has built up many of the berms, put drainage tubes in, put pea gravel in wet areas and overall has made it so Addison can be ridden much sooner after a rain. He deserves a medal. We all benefit from his devotion.
There are also many others that have put time in ( Myself included) to make this a great trail to ride. It takes many years to tweak a trail so that everyone can enjoy the variety it offers. I ride all the many trails in the metro area and tell anyone that has not ridden Addison to go give it a try. Have gotten a lot of positive feedback. Thanks to all that have worked hard to make this one of the best trails around.

Rick
mrbikester

Postby MtnBikerMi » June 8th, 2013, 8:53 am

"I understand that Pauly is an employee, however he has a special connection to the trail and over the years before he was an employee he had devoted MUCH of his own time to maintaining that trail. He understands the terrain out there and has built up many of the berms, put drainage tubes in, put pea gravel in wet areas and overall has made it so Addison can be ridden much sooner after a rain. He deserves a medal. We all benefit from his devotion. "

Well said mrbikester. This trail just gets better and better!
MtnBikerMi

Postby Jim O » June 11th, 2013, 9:59 am

Few people are as dedicated to trail maintanence as Paul Bailey!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 11th, 2013, 10:42 am

Speaking of which, how is it?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments