CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby lawn dart » April 21st, 2013, 7:04 pm

Also, the connector from Lake George Road is soo obvious it is almost comical. I was expecting a long trek through the woods, but it's not that at all. Probably 10-15 feet from the road to the trail. *thumbsup*
lawn dart

Postby utabintarbo » April 21st, 2013, 7:38 pm

lawn dart wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:BTW, the rain the past few days have really hit the trails hard the past few days, such that I was contacted by the OCP to let everyone know that the trails are officially CLOSED for the time being. Given the relative crawl at which Addison drains in the Spring, you can figure at least a week to get some semblance of structural integrity back on the trails. As always, stay tuned for updates.

*banghead* I wish I had read this post before heading out today.
Yes, Addison still has a lot of places that are draining. Much of the trail is in fine shape, but there are areas where frost layers are still melting and soaking large sections of trail. It makes the going very slow and not fun. We tried our best to work around the obviously wet areas, but only found more wet, soft, gooey, spongy, sloppy earth.
With all that said, the trail is not all that heavily rutted, but there are few reasonable optional lines, so best to avoid for now.

There is a BIG tree with lots of debris down at about 1 mile, another at around 2 miles, 1 or 2 more that will require a dismount, and lots of smaller bits that can be ridden over.

You can see where lots of great trail work has been done, so (a little later) this year Addison Oaks should be in rare form.

You know, until I read that quote, I didn't the Department of Redundancy Department had struck (first sentence). Apparently, I need to proof-read my posts better, apparently. :P

You can put yourself back in our good graces by attending this Saturday's Trail Day. We will put you in charge of smoothing out any pizza cutters. ;)

I will inform the park about the downed trees. Thanks for the info! :D
utabintarbo

Postby jpjones » April 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

Judging from what I've read, it sounds like I should avoid Addison tonight? What trails nearby would be recommended? I don't mind driving a little to find a rideable trail tonight. thanks!
jpjones

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 23rd, 2013, 1:50 pm

pontiac lake is good, rode it last night, not super close, but not a long ways.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Sortaslow » April 23rd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Stony is perfect.
Sortaslow

Postby Ricky Billy » April 23rd, 2013, 2:08 pm

jpjones wrote:Judging from what I've read, it sounds like I should avoid Addison tonight? What trails nearby would be recommended? I don't mind driving a little to find a rideable trail tonight. thanks!

Stony creek is just north of Tienken off rochester road (kinda). That trail is in great shape, and only 15 min down rochester rd from addison oaks.
you can enter the park through the main park entrance if you have the park pass. or you can enter through a spot in the fence off sheldon rd, between snell rd and mead rd. you cant miss it. there will be other cars parked there.
It can be a little confusing where to go if you have never been there. im sure some of the riders out there will point you in the right direction.
Make sure to hit the pines,roller coaster, and the snake sections. some 2 track connects it all. thats where it can get confusing where to go next.
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby c0nsumer » April 26th, 2013, 8:41 am

Just a reminder that CRAMBA-IMBA is having a trail day tomorrow (April 27th) at Addison Oaks. Lots of people are needed for this work, so please come on out and help us get a kiosk installed and build a new trail bypass!

Meet inside the park at 9am at the concession building, and at the guard shack let them know you are there to do volunteer work on the trails and they should let you in without a pass.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » April 27th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Great day of trail work! Very cool working with some great people.
Looking forward to when the new sections are tied-in to the rest of the trail system.

Overall, Addison is still pretty wet and S-L-O-W.
I hear Stony is epic!
lawn dart

Postby Alexg » May 3rd, 2013, 7:02 am

Anyone have any updates on Addison? I was thinking of heading over there this afternoon.
Alexg

Postby utabintarbo » May 3rd, 2013, 7:13 am

Alexg wrote:Anyone have any updates on Addison? I was thinking of heading over there this afternoon.

As of last evening, I have intell saying that there were still lots of mud pits. Given the weather, it won't be long, but I'd still avoid this weekend. :(
utabintarbo

Postby Big_Clyde » May 3rd, 2013, 7:59 am

I live down the road from Addison Oaks so I jumped on my bike yesterday and rode down to check it out and see how the trail was doing. The beginning was extremely soggy and torn up so I turned around and rode the Buhl trail to the back half of the singletrack. There were 2 or 3 minor puddles on the rear half and it was extremely slow, so I would definitely avoid Addison Oaks for a little while longer.
Big_Clyde

Postby utabintarbo » May 3rd, 2013, 8:55 am

Big_Clyde wrote:I live down the road from Addison Oaks so I jumped on my bike yesterday and rode down to check it out and see how the trail was doing. The beginning was extremely soggy and torn up so I turned around and rode the Buhl trail to the back half of the singletrack. There were 2 or 3 minor puddles on the rear half and it was extremely slow, so I would definitely avoid Addison Oaks for a little while longer.

Thanks for the report! I hope you'll keep an eye on it for us (you're a lot closer than I am). :D
utabintarbo

Postby TechStumpy » May 6th, 2013, 8:49 am

Any updates as to whether the trails are rideable?
Was hoping to get out there today but it appears Stoney may be a better option.
2008 Specialized Hardrock
2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO (still rocking the 26ers)
TechStumpy

Postby c0nsumer » May 6th, 2013, 9:39 am

TechStumpy wrote:Any updates as to whether the trails are rideable?
Was hoping to get out there today but it appears Stoney may be a better option.

It's probably still not great. I'd go to Stony, personally.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » May 6th, 2013, 10:09 am

Lloyd rode it Saturday and was able to leave the park with a still-clean bike...Only a couple of spots on the Lk George 2-track were soft.

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments