CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Addison Oaks

Postby utabintarbo » April 5th, 2013, 7:01 am

Ad hoc pre-real-Trail-Day cleanup day tomorrow at 9AM. For those that wish to show up, loppers, rakes, and small hand saws will likely be best. Strategy will depend on how many attend. TIA!
utabintarbo

Postby utabintarbo » April 6th, 2013, 1:46 pm

utabintarbo wrote:Ad hoc pre-real-Trail-Day cleanup day tomorrow at 9AM. For those that wish to show up, loppers, rakes, and small hand saws will likely be best. Strategy will depend on how many attend. TIA!

Thanks to Keith for helping out (read: doing most of the work ;)), we hit the beginning of the trail up to the Connector. We removed a few smaller trees, but there were 2 out there that were too big to handle sans chain saw. One was between mile marker 2.0 and 2.5 right after a horse trail crossing, and the other was in the far SW corner of the park on the uphill rock garden.

The Lake George 2-track was very soft, and the horses have been through there. I didn't bother messing with that until it dries out, perhaps by the trail day (4/27).
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » April 7th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Any additional information about the Lake George connector? Is it easy to find & well-marked? We would much rather ride from Bald Mountain to Addison on trails than roads.
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » April 7th, 2013, 3:49 pm

lawn dart wrote:Any additional information about the Lake George connector? Is it easy to find & well-marked? We would much rather ride from Bald Mountain to Addison on trails than roads.

It's very easy to find. It's an obvious gate/hole in the fence at the intersection of Lake George and Indian Lake Roads. You'll have to ride a little bit of Lake George to connect the two, but nowhere near as much dirt road as before.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » April 10th, 2013, 8:08 am

Thanks! Maybe when these rains stop we'll do a check ride.
lawn dart

Postby paynful » April 15th, 2013, 7:31 am

Stony was beautiful, so I rolled in from the fence off of Lake George last evening and pulled out after the first 2 track... it's not draining well at all. Please avoid until we get a few days of no rain.
paynful

Postby utabintarbo » April 15th, 2013, 8:26 am

paynful wrote:Stony was beautiful, so I rolled in from the fence off of Lake George last evening and pulled out after the first 2 track... it's not draining well at all. Please avoid until we get a few days of no rain.

Unfortunately, when the water table rises (Buhl lake is pretty high this year, much like 2 years ago), Addison suffers disproportionately. Once it drops, (likely early May this year) the clay will dry, and it will be pretty nice, and will likely stay good until Winter.

We got spoiled last year. :P
utabintarbo

Postby paynful » April 15th, 2013, 8:32 am

utabintarbo wrote:
paynful wrote:Stony was beautiful, so I rolled in from the fence off of Lake George last evening and pulled out after the first 2 track... it's not draining well at all. Please avoid until we get a few days of no rain.

Unfortunately, when the water table rises (Buhl lake is pretty high this year, much like 2 years ago), Addison suffers disproportionately. Once it drops, (likely early May this year) the clay will dry, and it will be pretty nice, and will likely stay good until Winter.

Yup... I was amazed that it was rideable the weekend before?!!
paynful

Postby c0nsumer » April 15th, 2013, 8:39 am

paynful wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:

Addison's area is weird, especially with the water that drains from across Drahner. I rode that area a couple weeks back (the day the reroute was planned) and all of the roads were fine, except the bit of Drahner behind the park was a slopfest. Even Walker was fine...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » April 15th, 2013, 11:20 am

paynful wrote:
utabintarbo wrote:

It was only sorta rideable the week before (the 2-track along Lake George was VERY soft, and several spots on the Connector path were still frozen). I think all the frozen stuff is gone, but a lot of that clay will stay soggy until we get several warm, dry (and preferably windy) days in a row.

Unlikely this week. :evil:
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » April 15th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Great news, everyone! CRAMBA-IMBA just received approval from Oakland County Parks, so we're good to go with implementing the reroute (in addition to the kiosk) on April 27th.

If you'd like to read CRAMBA-IMBA's proposal you can find a copy here. This will create a new trail route to bypass the Addison Oaks Connector, which means -- once this is complete -- less gravel path and more riding on dirt when following the mountain bike route.

To help get this built please join us on April 27th at 9am at the concession building, as detailed by Bob over here.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby paynful » April 15th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Cool!
paynful

Postby flamingo » April 19th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Will we get the access from the Lake George Rd? Doing Bald Mountain and Addison Oaks without hitting much of the gravel road would be nice.
flamingo

Postby utabintarbo » April 19th, 2013, 4:31 pm

flamingo wrote:Will we get the access from the Lake George Rd? Doing Bald Mountain and Addison Oaks without hitting much of the gravel road would be nice.

That's already baked in. If you look at the Trail Day Facebook page, you will see what the new entrances look like.

BTW, the rain the past few days have really hit the trails hard the past few days, such that I was contacted by the OCP to let everyone know that the trails are officially CLOSED for the time being. Given the relative crawl at which Addison drains in the Spring, you can figure at least a week to get some semblance of structural integrity back on the trails. As always, stay tuned for updates.
utabintarbo

Postby lawn dart » April 21st, 2013, 6:58 pm

utabintarbo wrote:BTW, the rain the past few days have really hit the trails hard the past few days, such that I was contacted by the OCP to let everyone know that the trails are officially CLOSED for the time being. Given the relative crawl at which Addison drains in the Spring, you can figure at least a week to get some semblance of structural integrity back on the trails. As always, stay tuned for updates.

*banghead* I wish I had read this post before heading out today.
Yes, Addison still has a lot of places that are draining. Much of the trail is in fine shape, but there are areas where frost layers are still melting and soaking large sections of trail. It makes the going very slow and not fun. We tried our best to work around the obviously wet areas, but only found more wet, soft, gooey, spongy, sloppy earth.
With all that said, the trail is not all that heavily rutted, but there are few reasonable optional lines, so best to avoid for now.

There is a BIG tree with lots of debris down at about 1 mile, another at around 2 miles, 1 or 2 more that will require a dismount, and lots of smaller bits that can be ridden over.

You can see where lots of great trail work has been done, so (a little later) this year Addison Oaks should be in rare form.
lawn dart

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments