CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby CycleArt » February 1st, 2015, 8:58 am

Rode North and West (including tech and lake) on a fat bike Saturday Jan 31. Trails were in great shape. There was a skinny riding the same loop as well. I think he did a couple of laps also. Would be nice if the trail would remain rode in during this snow event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CycleArt

Postby Critter7r » February 1st, 2015, 11:36 am

If you got out there right now and started riding laps, it would!
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Critter7r » February 2nd, 2015, 8:55 am

Ok, all you fatties, get out and pack down the trail! ;)
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby S3aturnR » February 28th, 2015, 6:04 pm

rode the west loop today, including the turtle trail. turtle trail is completely packed down and about 3ft wide. the rest of the loop is maybe 2 fat tires wide and not very well packed in some places. about 75% thru the west loop, there is a small spot where you'll have to dismount and walk for about 20 yards (unless you are a complete and total mountain biking badass) as there is drifted snow with footprints (mine included) that is about 2ft deep.

overall it was a nice ride. very sunny and about 26 degrees while i was out there. had a great time. therapeutic...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR

Postby turbotoad » March 1st, 2015, 6:20 pm

XC-Ski'd West and Lake today. Fat tire Perfect describes the "normal" 4.0 mile West loop. Nice flat hard packed 12" wide all the way around (snowmobile rode the first 1.5 miles and turned around). Lake loop was not bikable with only XC Ski marks and animal tracks for a trail.

Looking at the trail map I made a while ago there appears to be a few area that are under utilized and could be used to add another 1-1.5 miles of trail to the West area. I'm not sure what the DNR's position is on adding more trail at Holdridge, but I think it would be great to offer a little bit more milage on the West Loop.

I added some sections (RED) that I think could be incorporated into the system within the first 3 miles (before the "wall"). A short section to the South Eastern, A longer section in the South West area, and a longer section (that incorporates the existing Turtle Trail) in the central area. Of course the topography and soil conditions are not really known at this point, but this is just to generate some discussion and ideas for possibly expanding some of the trail out there. Any comments or ideas???
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » March 1st, 2015, 6:52 pm

I have often thought West was a little short (even though we have skipped the Lakeshore Loop many times!), and another 1.5+ miles would/could be a real treat.

I'm sure there are many factors involved, but I'm glad you opened the conversation, Todd! :icon_thumright:
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » March 3rd, 2015, 12:22 pm

Todd,
Actually I was looking into extending East loop. But where are you thinking on the West to extend? I know, as I have explored, that extending Tech loop to the West or North is mostly wet. Let me know as I have an upcoming meeting with the Land Manager. However, understand, adding to a State Trail system will be an "Act of Congress". Based on todays Congress thats worse than normal!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby turbotoad » March 3rd, 2015, 1:07 pm

Jim,

The map image I posted above shows the sections that I was thinking could be added ("RED" sections currently do not exist and are the proposals)..........they are basically fairely short (.25 - .50 mile?) sections added to the West Loop between mile markers 1 and 3 (all South of the parking lot). To maximize trail length, I envision that the new "loops" would diverge from the existing trail, loop around, and then merge back onto the existing trail only a few feet from where they diverted.

The proposed section in the lower left (South West) is quite hilly terrain and dry. Probably the most "prime" land. The proposed section in the lower right (South East) appears to be "high" ground, but less hilly than the other and could skirt a pond shoreline. The proposed upper section (using some of the existing Turtle Trail) is questionable as some of it may be somewhat low and/or wet.

It's hard to imagine much more trail packed into the East :shock:
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » March 3rd, 2015, 2:23 pm

turbotoad wrote:...It's hard to imagine much more trail packed into the East :shock:

Jim would like to add a bit more challenge to East. You know, something like an alligator hatchery and a piranha pit.
lawn dart

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments