CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby turbotoad » November 16th, 2014, 3:19 pm

West and North were great today! Lots of leaf coverage on the trail tread making some of the sharper corners a little sketchy. I'm not sure if it's the lack of leaves in the trees (able see things easier), but there seemed to be quite a few low hangers/leaners here and there throughout. Not yet to the "headhunter" stage, but low enough to get your attention. No mud to speak of (would have been frozen anyway :D ).

Ran across three hunters with black powder rifles hunting deer. So make sure you have blaze orange on!....A rider I saw at the parking lot after riding was in all black :shock:
turbotoad

Postby turbotoad » November 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Thanksgiving day ride at Holdridge this afternoon. Pretty quiet as not another soul was out there the entire time I was there. Trails were in awsome condition with just a lighty frozen layer of moisture between the leaves, making it a little sketchy when pushed too hard in the corners. TONS of small 1"-2" stuff down throughout the West Loop with one slightly larger (6") tree down on Lake Loop near the lake. It's probably ridable but on a weird angle and around a corner, catching you by surprise (it stopped me anyway). North had a few low leaners here and there and one BIG downer (chainsaw cadidate) towards the beginning (.75 mile in ?)
turbotoad

Postby turbotoad » December 13th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Strarted out a decent day on the West Loop. It was a little greasy here and there with no downed trees or impassible obsticles. On the West Loop itself anyway....I didn't make it to the Lake Loop or North Loop as the bridge after the Tech-Loop finally got me! :cry: I hit it CAUTIOUSLY as I knew it was wet, but as soon as I turned my front wheel on the entrance it went out instantly! Bashed my right knee and elbow into the bridge. Bike went into the swamp to the left, and I bounced off the bridge and into the swamp (broke through thin layer of ice into water) to the right. My knee didn't feel like it could make it around the Lake Loop, plus my handle bar got bent, and I was wet, so I SLOWLY rode out to the car. Ibuprofin and ice for the knot on my knee once home. :(
turbotoad

Postby GeoffM » December 14th, 2014, 10:29 am

turbotoad wrote:Strarted out a decent day on the West Loop. It was a little greasy here and there with no downed trees or impassible obsticles. On the West Loop itself anyway....I didn't make it to the Lake Loop or North Loop as the bridge after the Tech-Loop finally got me! :cry: I hit it CAUTIOUSLY as I knew it was wet, but as soon as I turned my front wheel on the entrance it went out instantly! Bashed my right knee and elbow into the bridge. Bike went into the swamp to the left, and I bounced off the bridge and into the swamp (broke through thin layer of ice into water) to the right. My knee didn't feel like it could make it around the Lake Loop, plus my handle bar got bent, and I was wet, so I SLOWLY rode out to the car. Ibuprofin and ice for the knot on my knee once home. :(

I'm glad I checked this before heading out :D
Hope you recover with just bumps and bruises. I'm gonna try the east loop today.
GeoffM

Postby GeoffM » December 14th, 2014, 4:07 pm

East loop up to the meadows is clear. The "Thorn Dog exit" I used after the meadows had some slick spots on it.

I ended up doing the tech loop. It too is clear.

Important: The path from the parking lot to the tech loop is wet and bikes are leaving ruts. I noticed this happening in 3 separate spots.

The actual paths are fine.

Sometime in the future someone should take a chainsaw out to the tech loop. Immediately after the .5 mile marker there is a large tree that has termite damage. The way they've chewed through it makes it look like a giant ax took a wedge out of it. It also looks like that tree is hollow. The missing wedge is angled so when it falls, it will block the path.
GeoffM

Postby Critter7r » December 15th, 2014, 11:37 am

I've noticed that tree every time I ride the Tech Loop and wondered why it hadn't fallen yet, and when I stopped once to check it out, noticed that it's not really a tree, just a 15-foot tall stump.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments