CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby lawn dart » September 1st, 2015, 3:12 pm

I always thought the "Wall" was the old, eroded gulch that drops straight down from the bench at the top of the hill. Though still accessible, it was no longer really part of the trail because it was, well, old and eroded.

What my friends & I call the Root Climb (if you've seen it, no explanation is required) was the official re-route around the Wall.

Are we using the wrong name?
lawn dart

Postby c0nsumer » September 1st, 2015, 3:55 pm

lawn dart wrote:I always thought the "Wall" was the old, eroded gulch that drops straight down from the bench at the top of the hill. Though still accessible, it was no longer really part of the trail because it was, well, old and eroded.

What my friends & I call the Root Climb (if you've seen it, no explanation is required) was the official re-route around the Wall.

Are we using the wrong name?

That's always been my understanding as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Critter7r » September 1st, 2015, 7:06 pm

I think that the Root Climb reroute around the Wall has just adopted the name.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » September 1st, 2015, 8:28 pm

Yes the "Wall" was the climb straight up to the bench. It used to be fairly narrow single track but eventually kept getting wider and looser. When it became just too eroded and unsustainable the "re-route" was made, which eventually became the "Root Climb" after that too has eroded substantially enough to expose nearly the whole big root. I think the intention was that the re-route was suppose to become the new "wall", and the old one closed off (or discouraged from use anyway). At least that's the way I remember it way back when. But people continued to use the old "Wall" anyway, and so it remains as a masochistic mess of roots and erosion.
turbotoad

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments