CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Trail Day this Saturday-9 a.m.

Postby Josh McCreedy » June 19th, 2008, 11:03 am

This is an unscheduled, but much-needed work day devoted to trimming and trail corridor maintenance. Since over 60 hours were spent on cleanup after the latest storms, we need to put energy now into pruning and trail maintenance.

TOOLS: If you have tools please bring these with you; we can still use you if you don't have tools. We also have extras to be provided but limited.

Gas powered weed whips (with optional blade works best)
Gas powered hedge trimmers (we have 2)
Hand hedge trimmers
Hand pruner or larger limb loppers
Gloves and Safety glasses
Camelback and snacks

We'll meet at the trailhead at 9:00 a.m. to organize.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Dirtdevil » June 25th, 2008, 7:58 am

Does anyone know the condition of Grubers? A few of us would like to hit it this Sunday, but don't want to burn the gas on the long drive if Grubers isn't completely clear to ride.

Thx.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby fourtrax » June 25th, 2008, 8:19 am

Rode to the first cut out yesterday. That is about the 7 mile mark and everything was good, just a few slappers, no mud puddles, fun ride.
fourtrax

Postby jeffcolombo » June 28th, 2008, 1:56 pm

As far as I know and have been told. There are no downed trees all through the 15.5 miles. The Meadows Loop (7-9 mile) may be overgrown and parts of the Orchard Loop (10-13 mile) may have some overgrown areas but nothing unridable.
I'm coming back to Michigan,
Jeff Colombo
I'm crazy
jeffcolombo

Postby andyf » June 28th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Tree down at 1.5 on the Grinder... as of this morning... about 1ft high, needs a chainsaw. Shortly after that there is a cut tree very close to the trail edge. I have clipped it a few times with my toe. I cleared the brush from around it so you can see its there. Probably should be cut or pushed back a bit.
andyf

Mc Ginnis Lake

Postby One and done » July 2nd, 2008, 1:39 pm

Mc Ginnis Lake

Rode out there this afternoon. I was the only one on the trail that I could see and now I know why. There is a tree down between 5 and 7 and another between 12 and 13. I parked at 18 and made the mistake of taking 16 heading back to the vehicle. 16 should be marked "avoid". It hasn't been groomed probably this year and the trees that were down during the winter blocking the trail are still down. It will take dynamite to clear up that part of the trail.

Denny
One and done

Tree down .5 on Lake Loop

Postby andyf » July 4th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Tree down just before .5 on Lake Loop, needs a chain saw. Also... I just saw the new ladder bridge on Tech Loop, but the first 5 or 6 planks were ripped off... with nails sticking out of the logs... what's up with that? Is it just not finished... or did someone attempt to wreck it?
andyf

Postby jeffcolombo » July 7th, 2008, 10:22 am

Ladder bridge?? Didn't know of one out there. I will see whats going on with it and hopefully fix it. Yes, that tree is hopefully going to be a skinny here in the near future. I'm thinking of July 19-20 of doing that project as well as some other ones. Stay tuned, I'll post some time next week.
Last edited by jeffcolombo on July 8th, 2008, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Colombo
I'm crazy
jeffcolombo

Postby KRUG » July 7th, 2008, 10:48 am

That ladder bridge on the tech loop is a POS and needs to go. I would like to know who's behind it.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby jeffcolombo » July 8th, 2008, 10:40 am

Ok so whats up with all the rain!!! Its been raining for the last hour! I want to ride today, but the rain gods are not conforming to my wishes... :twisted: The group ride is going to be muddy if it don't stop soon.

Is the ladder you are talking about the A-frame by the crappy log pile?
Jeff Colombo
I'm crazy
jeffcolombo

Postby KRUG » July 8th, 2008, 11:17 am

The Ladder Bridge is after the big tech loop skinny and just before the small rock pile with pee grave behind it.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby black2003ss » July 13th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Rode the West and Lake loops tonight around 7pm. The trail was very dry with only two damp spots, but dry in the middle of them. I was really impressed considering all the rain on Saturday. If its not raining, its as good as it gets right now.

There was about a 10" tree fallen accross the trail at .6miles on the ODO. I wasn't sure if I could move it (it was about 12-15' in length and I figured it would weigh a ton), but turns out it was a rotted dead tree and it broke in half when I tried to lift it, moved both pieces off to the side and its good to go.
black2003ss

Postby Cerget » July 14th, 2008, 6:33 am

Does anybody know how the East loop is looking?
Cerget

East Loop Conditions

Postby andyf » July 14th, 2008, 7:44 pm

East Loop conditions...
> Tree down shortly after entrance to North/East Loops. Needs a chainsaw, possibly rideable for some
> .5 to 1.5 Face slappers just trimmed out
> 1.5 tree still down, needs a chainsaw
> 7-9 (Meadows Loop) overgrown and thorny (consider avoiding)
> 7 directly back to 10 (coming off Shields road bed) thorny section and overgrowth by return sign just trimmed up a bit
> 10-13 (Orchard loop) no info on current condition
> 10 directly to 14 needs trimming in spots, but won't scratch you up
> Summary: up thru #7 is clear and dry (except 2 down trees), return to #10, 14 and onward clear and dry.
...hope that helps.
andyf

Postby Cerget » July 15th, 2008, 6:14 am

Thanks for the update, I just need to determine if I'm going to ride there on Wednesday or not. I'm looking for so tight and technical riding.
Cerget

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions