CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Chuck » May 6th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Rode the entire east loop this morning.....trail is dry with exception of a few wet spots on the Orchard loop. 100% ridable, only one tree down that can't be ridden over (needs chainsaw) although it very easy to ride around it (easy reroute)
Chuck

Postby amadkins » May 9th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Myself and my bud from the eastside will be riding Gruber's loop tomorrow (Sat 5/10) around 1000. Any additions to the group are welcome. I'll be the fat dude with the Stars and Bars bandana riding a Kona. I have yet to complete the whole loop, so it will be slow going for me.
amadkins

Postby Chuck » May 19th, 2008, 12:40 pm

rode the Wilderness Trai (CCW) for the first...what a gem, fast and flowing...really enjoyed that fast downhill jump section, must have landed half way down the hill... :D ....small tree down between markers 7&8, hand saw should do it, other wise trail is in great shape...
Chuck

Conditions

Postby failagain » May 24th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Grubers - great condition. One soupy spot between the 11 & 12 markers. Some face slappers and overgrown areas.
Kidnap Yourself
failagain

Postby fattyclark » June 7th, 2008, 6:52 pm

I came across a Front Wheel For a 2008 Bike. I know what brand and model this wheel comes on. If you lost a wheel there PM with the make and model of the bike to prove it is yours.

My parents said they saw it there on Friday night. I was there today. And after finishing my ride thought it may be best to post up about it here in case someone on here is the one.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

New to the area

Postby ForgetfulJones » June 8th, 2008, 5:46 am

Looking for someone to be a buddy with me sometime. Leave a post or email me at billjanetsky@hotmail.com if interested. Thank you!
ForgetfulJones

Postby fattyclark » June 8th, 2008, 8:24 am

Saturday AM (6-7-08)
West loop could use some trimming. The corners were pretty slick, along with a couple of the down hills.Did ride the Grinders do to this.

It should be much better today tho.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby jeffcolombo » June 8th, 2008, 5:44 pm

We are having a Trim the trail day this Saturday June 14, 2008 for all members and non-members. I normally have the trail days posted on our chapter page but the site admin hasn't done it yet. Been waiting since March. I have tried to post to the calendar but it makes it a daily event, like the group ride is posted. So I wonder what is really going on with this site. Plus I don't have internet at home so it has been hard to keep up on the site.

We need everyone who rides the trails to help out on this one. In the past when we trimmed loops it lasted the rest of the year. With the exception of a face slapper here and there. Our chapter has some real great equipment for trimming the trails up. What we lack is people to run that equipment. Most of it is gas powered. We also need people to help rake up after the mess we create.

Well it is that time of the year when the plants do there best to take over the trail. Trail grooming is the most time consuming and labor intense work we do at Holdridge Lakes. If we get all the trails that need it done now, in the past, it has lasted the rest of the season. We have a lot of equipment that makes this job easier but as always someone needs to walk the trails to operate it. We have 3 new pieces of equipment that will make this process quicker and more effective. The gas powered Sthil hedge trimmers do a great job and used with the DR trimmers will clear a trail quickly. Hand tools still work and people are the key to keeping the trails ride able.

This is the trial work that needs to be done in priority of most used and worst condition:

North Loop
Turtle Loop
West Loop (only parts)
Meadows 7-9 including Thorn Dog exit

TOOLS: If you have tools please bring these with you, we can still use you if you don't have tools. We also have extras to be provided but limited.

Gas powered weed whips (with optional blade works best)
Gas powered hedge trimmers (we have 2)
Hand hedge trimmers
Hand pruner or larger limb loppers
Gloves and Safety glasses
Camelback and snacks

Time: 10am-3pm
I'm coming back to Michigan,
Jeff Colombo
I'm crazy
jeffcolombo

Postby Chuck » June 11th, 2008, 10:16 am

Wilderness trail update: four tress down between markers 10 & 5......DNR has been notified, they said they would take care of it...
Last edited by Chuck on June 11th, 2008, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck

Postby KRUG » June 11th, 2008, 10:28 am

Holdridge Storm Damage: Preliminary assessment of all 23 miles of trail at Holdridge has found dozens of large trees down making all trails in the system un-ridable. We will post further update as we learn more.

There is a scheduled trail day for this Saturday 6-14-08 and could use all the help possible. We are going to need chain saw teams to clear the trail. A team is 2 or 3 people per chain saw operator.

Further updates forthcoming.

Krug
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby Luke » June 11th, 2008, 9:15 pm

I rode the west loop (with tech & lake loops) today and I don?t think it is an exaggeration to say I was off my bike 25 times. I have never seen so much storm damage to a trail. I lost count of the number of LARGE trees down. The tech loop was the worst.

You will indeed need all the help and saws you can get.

If I can free up some time I will be there with both Chainsaws :D

Luke
Luke

Postby Diesel » June 12th, 2008, 7:21 pm

I spent about 4 hours on the West loop today (including the Tech loop, NOT including the Lakeshore Loop) and cleared away anything that was less than about 6 inches around (you can only ask so much out of a folding branch saw :wink: ).

Anything bigger than 6" I cleaned up enough to make sure that there would be no snagged nards on the hike-a-bikes.

As I was finishing up, Jeff was coing through with the chainsaw, so I'm assuming that the entire West (with the exception of the Lakeshore loop section) should be rideable.

Man, there were some BIG trees down out there.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

holdridge east loop trail conditions

Postby bergie05 » June 14th, 2008, 4:49 pm

rode East loop today, here is the scouting report:

* The trail crew that was out there today did an absolute awesome job on the 1st part of the loop (you could tell about where they stopped, which appeared to be at the short-cut return, i think around mile 7). I have never seen the trail in this good of shape, excellent job!

* after the short-cut turnaround, miles 8 & 9 were very overgrown, but no big trees over the trail. lots of scrapes and scratches.

* after mile 9 or so, I lost track of how many big trees / branches were over the trail (+20). Got so bad after mile 12 that a guy ahead of me had already turned around. He said he couldn't even find mile 13. I took his advice and turned around, we crawled back to the parking lot. Many more trees down on the return.

There are numerous trees that will require chainsaw work. Don't even bother riding it past the 1st shortcut until they are cleared.

Thanks again to the trail crew for doing a great job; please post when there will be another work day, I live in Fenton and will try to make it to the next one.

Dave
bergie05

Postby ForgetfulJones » June 14th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Are we going to need to go back out Krug? I'll carry the rake again.....
ForgetfulJones

Postby matchap » June 14th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Well it was nice meeting all of the trail maintainers/debris removers Considering the amount of work it takes to keep these trails maintained makes one appreciate them that much more. I'll be out there again. I plan on riding tomorrow. How much more work is needed on the east loop? Id be willing to give a couple hours of work before my ride. We cleared 7, 8, 9, and the short cut return/road bed. 8 and 9 could use hedge clippers/machette work; my shins are hamburger from all the thorny weeds.

Matt
matchap

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions