CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby ReelBig » April 21st, 2008, 10:46 am

Rode the north and west loops yestrday. Weather was awesome, as were the trails. One real muddy spot in the west, other that that trails are GREAT. Watch all the leaves on the landing of the big drop in tech loop. They made for a couple grand skid out crashes..........
ReelBig

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 21st, 2008, 1:34 pm

sonic89,

You're stuck going the long Rood to Mackey or braving the stretch of Grange Hall. Yes, it's sketchy and has a bad history, but there is a shoulder and pretty good sight lines.

Someday you will likely be able to access Holdridge from the North and West, but not now, unless you like swampy bushwhacking. Enjoy.
Josh McCreedy

Postby tpitrickten » April 25th, 2008, 7:42 am

West Loop is perfect. Get out and ride!
Alex
tpitrickten

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 26th, 2008, 6:55 am

I had a big ride yesterday.

Holdridge-

West Loop-Wickedly fast and clean tread. Tech loop, Lake loop, and Turtle Loop all good to go.

North Loop-dry and only very minor overgrowth as of yet

East Loop- (Gruber's) All sections good. The first seven has some slappers from mile 2-3. Meadows and Orchard loop both rode really well.

Wilderness- All low areas are now solid and this trail is absolutely perfect.

We're spoiled.
Josh McCreedy

Postby turbotoad » April 28th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Rode the Wilderness Trail yesterday. The trail was in good condition with only one very minor wet spot. I still haven't figured out what the direction of travel is for biking. I always go "counter clockwise". Has there been any official travel direction determined?
turbotoad

Postby Brandon Love » April 28th, 2008, 8:40 pm

turbotoad wrote:Rode the Wilderness Trail yesterday. The trail was in good condition with only one very minor wet spot. I still haven't figured out what the direction of travel is for biking. I always go "counter clockwise". Has there been any official travel direction determined?

Which one is the Wilderness Trail?
Brandon Love

Postby turbotoad » April 29th, 2008, 10:45 am

Brandon Love wrote:Which one is the Wilderness Trail?

Wilderness is off of Grange Hall Road, East of Dixie Hwy. It was just opened up to biking last year. Check the "Trail Guide" section of this site for more info. It's listed under the Holdridge heading.

Sooooooo, anyone have an answer for the trail direction of travel?
turbotoad

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 30th, 2008, 7:47 am

It has no designated direction currently. With such good sight lines and no major sustainability issues, both directions are good. Use caution and watch out for hikers and hunters. Most don't realize that mountain biking is now allowed.
Josh McCreedy

Wilderness Loop Direction

Postby bh357 » April 30th, 2008, 7:52 am

To anyone who's ridden the Wilderness Loop both ways, do you have a preferred direction? I've only ridden it once, and rode counter-clockwise. I thought it had a nice flow, and was very fast, almost like Bald Mountain North.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby turbotoad » April 30th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Josh McCreedy wrote:It has no designated direction currently. With such good sight lines and no major sustainability issues, both directions are good. Use caution and watch out for hikers and hunters. Most don't realize that mountain biking is now allowed.

Thanks for the info. I agree about the hikers and have found that most seem to travel "clockwise" for some reason (maybe they're following the signage #'s). But the other day I did come up behind a runner going "couter clockwise". Unfortunatly he had his i-Pod blaring and could not hear me screaming ON YOUR LEFT at least four times. He obliviously ran right down the center of the trail and I decided to slow and wait until I had an open area to go around. Of course I scared the crap out of the guy as I went around him on his right (off in the grass). Oh well, I tried to warn him...
turbotoad

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 30th, 2008, 8:48 pm

I really can't decide which direction I like better, but lately I find myself automatically doing it clockwise.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Brandon Love » April 30th, 2008, 9:02 pm

I rode the Wilderness Trail portion for the first time today; counterclockwise as well. I think there does need to be a designated direction for mountain bikers on that trail because there are several blind corners and it will only get worse as the foliage fills out this season. Without the designation there could definitely be some nasty collisions. That aside, it's a very fun trail and I'm glad I've discovered it! I'll continue to ride it counterclockwise. :wink:
Brandon Love

Postby Diesel » April 30th, 2008, 9:35 pm

I once rode it both directions on the same day. I prefered counter-clockwise.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby KRUG » May 1st, 2008, 5:37 am

I like CW best
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby bh357 » May 1st, 2008, 6:32 pm

There are trees down on the East Loop. One at just over 7 miles in (beginning of the Meadows Loop), a headhunter just past the Thorn Dog exit, and 2 trees down shortly into the Orchard Loop. All will require chainsaws to remove.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions