CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby turbotoad » November 30th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it out this morning, got hung up with other thing. But I did get out to ride at around 3:30ish. There where a few greasy spots from the damp leaves with mudd hiding beneath :shock: Acually went down right by the old foundation on the North Loop. There is a right hander there with some exposed roots wich knocked the front wheel sideways, then the wet leaves and mudd underneath proceeded to instantly wash the front end out :x Nothing like a 2mph fall out of the blue to make you go *beep* !!! :evil: When I wipe out I like it to be spectacular not halarious.... :P

The West Loop was basically clear the entire way. Just one small tree down (don't remember exactly where) but it's only about 3" dia. and ridable, not a big issue. Lots of debri at the end of the North Loop. About 1/2 mile from the end I got a nice wirey branch wrapped up in my rear deraileur and casette forcing a dimount and a few minutes to clear the tangled mess out of the rear end.

Thanks for getting out there the with the chainsaw (SAuge)
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2004 Raleigh Inferno XC
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
1995 TREK Y33
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » December 1st, 2013, 11:22 am

I arrived at the trail day late (big surprise); after everyone was already out on the trails somewhere...

So I walked the North Loop and did little clean-ups.

turbotoad wrote:...Lots of debri at the end of the North Loop. About 1/2 mile from the end I got a nice wirey branch wrapped up in my rear deraileur...

Wow! Really? I thought I was going overboard by clearing everything 'way off the trail, especially the poke-y & vine-y bits.
Oh, well.

I'm actually looking forward to getting out there with a weed whip. Thorny plants beware!
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » December 1st, 2013, 9:31 pm

Thanks for all the assistance guys! Went to the OSU/UM game Saturday after getting a cold from last weekend. My cold did not deter my cheering at the game nor the result. Today needed to do the outside Christmas lights at home. Anyway, thanks for the help. Amazing all the down debris.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » December 2nd, 2013, 8:35 am

I rode Meadows on Thanksgiving and it was clear.

There were 4 trees down on the return on East, Sunday morning. (I entered thru the Hess rd entrance/exit and turned left at the sign). There's a tree blocking the first rock pile bypass and three more within probably less than a 1/4 mile - well before the entrance to the Orchard trail.

West has a few ominous-looking leaners in Tornado Alley, too. I don't know if anyone else calls it that, but it's the area about a mile in, after rounding a left-hand curve on a slight uphill there seems always to be lots of trees down around the trail after every little windstorm. At the end of what I call Tornado Alley, there is about an 18-inch drop that's not quite a drop, followed by a sandy right-hander, then a left and a rooty climb. (It's just after this climb that you can see the homes on Shields Court off to the left).
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » December 9th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Good work out there Scott(East). Missed you Saturday but saw your vehicle(arrow was in front of your vehicle originally) and handy work. I actually walked the East before you and then the "Meadows" where I marked the downed tree locations. Heard the saw and came back to the East. You had sawed the tree at the 9.65 marker. I had moved one of the trees there manually but the one you sawed was well wedged. Was running out of daylight so I could not track you down.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » December 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Yea, trying to get ready for XC skiing - need a little more snow!!!

The return for east from the Hess road entrance should be clear.

Haven't been able to walk all of the Orchard loop, so some may still be out there.

Haven't walked the east entrance from North up to the Hess road entrance - no idea what is out there.

Found some stuff on Meadow?
SAuge

Postby Jim O » December 10th, 2013, 7:06 am

Yes, Meadows has 4 down trees. Two that you can get by but the other two are straight across the trail. I would not be concerned about the Orchard loop till Spring.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » December 15th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Age of the wheel is dead!

Long live the flat boards! :)
SAuge

Postby Jim O » December 16th, 2013, 7:22 am

Not if you have a Fatbike! Are you enjoying the skiing on the North Loop? Saw your tracks Saturday and Sunday.
BTW, walked Orchard back from 12-mile to 14. Then crossed over to 3 and walked back to the start. Good workout with 6"-7" of snow. Trail is clean until .75 with a tree down but passible. There is also a low hanger at .65 that needs to go. It is too low. Will get to next weekend. Was able to clean everything else up by hand saw or just by hand.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » December 23rd, 2013, 9:32 am

Judging by the number of trees down in my neighborhood, I'm going to guess that the trail is going to be a mess. :(
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby SAuge » December 23rd, 2013, 10:43 am

Yea, and it'll be all frozen with ice and snow all over... There will be a couple more ice storms coming I figure. Maybe tonight I will see what gets in the way of the skis...
SAuge

Postby SAuge » December 24th, 2013, 9:34 am

Did a walk with the dog on north loop and the turtle trail.

On the North loop there are seven trees down (at least by my count). Three of them are large show stoppers - I mean, I had trouble getting around or through them on foot! One is a tricky bugger - broke off fifty feet up and the other fifty feet are hanging right in the middle of the trail. Of course it is still attached at the top. Hoping future storms will break the top off cleanly before summer. Else, I think the whole thing will have to come down - dangerous since fifty feet of it is hanging in the trail and can go anywhere when taking it down. At least a two man and wedges job (might even need a come-along). A real "widow maker."

On the turtle trail, there are two groups. Ya can climb over em, but it means using hands and feet. Also, the hanger at the beginning of the trail is coming slowly down. It's becoming a head banger.

Of course, all the living trees, specially the brush wood, are leaning into the trail. Looks nice with the ice on the branches.

Both are unpassable on bike or ski. Will walk the West tonight.
SAuge

Postby lawn dart » December 24th, 2013, 10:13 am

Appreciate the updates, SAuge. *thumbsup*
lawn dart

Postby SAuge » December 24th, 2013, 6:23 pm

West loop... stopped counting downed trees at ten...
SAuge

Postby KRUG » December 24th, 2013, 6:35 pm

I hike a section of DNR land just a few miles east of Holdridge and there is so many downed branches that I almost got lost trying to find my way around them. So I think we have a lot of cleanup ahead of us if Holdridge is anything like my hiking trail.

Count me in for the cleanup work.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments