CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby lawn dart » November 22nd, 2013, 8:09 pm

I'd love to join in the fun, but can't make it this weekend. :(
lawn dart

Postby turbotoad » November 23rd, 2013, 12:09 am

Wish I could make it but my band has a gig at noon.
turbotoad

Postby Jim O » November 23rd, 2013, 2:05 pm

Thanks to Sauge and Krug the West loop is cleared. Lost count on the number of down trees. All I can say is, a football game, a couch and beer sounds mighty good!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby turbotoad » November 26th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Holy quagmire! Hate to say it Jim, but the West Loop (end of lake loop) was a mess this afternoon! Numerous trees down from the wood-matt section all the way to the last downhill. Plus the amount of flotsam/debri littering the entire trail is astounding. I can't believe my spokes and rr deraileur survived :o There were a few others earlier in on the West Loop but were mostly passible. North Loop was clear. There was some deadfall blocking the trail on the East return section along the road. Can probably be moved by hand.

I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow morning/afternoon to just walk and clear whatever I could without a chainsaw.
turbotoad

CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby KRUG » November 26th, 2013, 4:26 pm

turbotoad wrote:Holy quagmire! Hate to say it Jim, but the West Loop (end of lake loop) was a mess this afternoon! Numerous trees down from the wood-matt section all the way to the last downhill. Plus the amount of flotsam/debri littering the entire trail is astounding. I can't believe my spokes and rr deraileur survived :o There were a few others earlier in on the West Loop but were mostly passible. North Loop was clear. There was some deadfall blocking the trail on the East return section along the road. Can probably be moved by hand.

I was thinking about heading out there tomorrow morning/afternoon to just walk and clear whatever I could without a chainsaw.

We ran out of steam half way through the lake loop.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby turbotoad » November 26th, 2013, 4:54 pm

KRUG wrote:
turbotoad wrote:Holy quagmire! Hate to say it Jim, but the West Loop (end of lake loop) was a mess this afternoon! Numerous trees down from the wood-matt section all the way to the last downhill. Plus the amount of flotsam/debri littering the entire trail is astounding. I can't believe my spokes and rr deraileur survived :o There were a few others earlier in on the West Loop but were mostly passible. North Loop was clear. There was some deadfall blocking the trail on the East return section along the road. Can probably be moved by hand.

We ran out of steam half way through the lake loop.

I can see why, Jeese, there was a lot of cleared crap throughout the trail. Obviously there was a LOT of work done.
turbotoad

Postby turbotoad » November 27th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Spent 3+ hours out there this morning. Cleared the deadfall on the East return near the parking lot, then spent the rest of the time on the West Loop. Walked entire West Loop (including Tech Loop) and cleared as much debri and downed trees as I could without a chainsaw. Got everything except for the stretch (last mile of Lake Loop) from the wood matting until the last downhill of the Lake Loop. There is a low leaner on the matting section itself, and then 3 or 4 large downed trees after that. My bow saw was no match for them :wink:

Spent a good 1.5 hours just on the last pile of trees at the end. What a friggn mess! All clear now except for the main large trunk. All that's needed is a chainsaw to finish the remaining large stuff.
turbotoad

Postby acidtattoo » November 27th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I rode Gruber's today - the trail is going to need a lot of TLC. There are at least 40+ trees down, and tons of derailleur hating sticks all over the place. The thin layer of snow and piles of leaves, coupled with all the stick, made for a fun, slippery ride.
The Orchards is by far the worst for downed trees, and the entire trail is going to take a bunch of work to clear. With that said, if there is a trail day coming up, I'll do my best to join you guys.
acidtattoo

Postby SAuge » November 27th, 2013, 5:58 pm

I can snip them dead falls on Lake on Saturday.
SAuge

Postby turbotoad » November 28th, 2013, 12:13 am

Could maybe help Saturday depending on time.
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » November 28th, 2013, 10:05 am

Thanks (Giving!) to all who have been working these trails. I'll free-up some time on Saturday to assist as well.
lawn dart

Postby Critter7r » November 28th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Wow ... 22 degrees and a half-inch of snow made for some really awesome riding today. Meadow had about 10 trees across the trail. Two were rideable and I cleared 3 or 4 small blockers. I have one word for riding in the cold : layers. Ok, maybe a second word : pace. If I rode too hard and started sweating, I'd get cold, so I had to find a pace the didn't make me sweat too much. Wider tires helped too.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby SAuge » November 28th, 2013, 8:53 pm

I cleared the Lake loop this morning, so I guess all that's left is the east.
SAuge

Postby SAuge » November 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm

I'll be at the park at 10:00am. Probably bail to the East loop by 10:15am.
SAuge

Postby SAuge » November 30th, 2013, 5:02 pm

East from return up to entrance of Orchard cleared. Part of Orchard cleared, then somehow I broke my chain! Three big trees down by taking right on Orchard from the Hess Rd short cut.
SAuge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments