CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 30th, 2006, 9:33 am

Andy_B wrote:Thanks for the insight Dan, your so thoughtful.

:roll:

Typical management style answer....


edit: And people wonder why I don't belong to the MMBA. I offer my support, ask questions to help further my understand and all I get is smart-ass answers from the MMBA's leaders.

FNKA

Andy, as I said several posts earlier, the Grinder needs flow, but "the devil is in the details." You've got some good ideas-- everybody acknowledges that. But unless you're going to show up and work out the details, that's all they're ever going to be-- ideas.
Your approach was to ride it the day after, and offer your expert opinion. That sounds more like management to me. On traildays, I'm just another grunt with a shovel, working under the Trail Coordinator. But the job gets done that way.
If your priorities are elsewhere, fine-- but you forfeit the right to complain about the way the work is getting done.
Dan
User avatar
Dan_Harrison
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills

Postby Andy_B » March 30th, 2006, 9:37 am

Dan_Harrison wrote:Andy, as I said several posts earlier, the Grinder needs flow, but "the devil is in the details." You've got some good ideas-- everybody acknowledges that. But unless you're going to show up and work out the details, that's all they're ever going to be-- ideas.
Your approach was to ride it the day after, and offer your expert opinion. That sounds more like management to me. On traildays, I'm just another grunt with a shovel, working under the Trail Coordinator. But the job gets done that way.
If your priorities are elsewhere, fine-- but you forfeit the right to complain about the way the work is getting done.
Dan


A: I did not know there was a trail day on the 25th.
B: Whens the next one? I'll have my Secretary clear my scheduled for that day.
Andy_B
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:40 am
Location: keeping the mountain in mountain biking

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 30th, 2006, 10:02 am

Andy_B wrote:B: Whens the next one? I'll have my Secretary clear my scheduled for that day.


I'm just going by the Calendar here, but it looks like April 29 and May 20.
Calendar at: http://www.mmba.org/calendar.php

Your idea for that bowl sounds sweet-- if you can't be there on the workday, try to make a date to walk through & flag it with the TC.

BTW, we didn't build a new logpile. We took out a newly fallen log that was 6' in front of a crumbling old log crossing, and used it to rebuild the original. The result flows much better-- and it has a ride-around. It's between 13 - 14 (I think-- like I say, I was just there to help out).
Dan
User avatar
Dan_Harrison
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 30th, 2006, 10:07 am

jeffcolombo wrote:Did I say something wrong? Nobody is posting a reply.

Jeff

Funny-- when I say something wrong, EVERYBODY gets into the act. :lol:
Dan
User avatar
Dan_Harrison
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 30th, 2006, 12:46 pm

First, maybe the MMBA isn't a perfect organization, but I've learned that more members=more clout=more access=more trails.

Second, I'm with Jeff in that a lot of this discussion would be more useful on the trail. I can think of several sections that could be more user-friendly without making them lame/easy, but it would be easier to explain while looking at them. You and many others have ideas for Gruber's improvements-good! There's a lot of energy for Gruber's right now (at last!). It sounds like much of the next trail day will be devoted the issues on this board. We all just need to do our homework and get together before the trail day to share ideas. eh?

No luck for Easter weekend, Jeff-I'm taking students to W.Va. for spring break adventure.
Josh McCreedy
 
Posts: 425
Joined: September 17th, 2004, 1:54 pm
Location: Holly

Postby Rider » March 30th, 2006, 7:28 pm

i love gruber's. the reason being that there are so many hard obsticles... which are even more fun on a full rigid ss! the idea of rerouting areas due to diffuclty really makes me cringe. i know there are some spots that could use reroutes because the terrain can no longer take the usage, but i think the best solution to put bypasses next to each log pile. that way people have a choice to try the stunt or not. just a thought.


rider


.
Rider
 
Posts: 485
Joined: January 20th, 2003, 9:51 pm
Location: MI

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 31st, 2006, 9:10 am

I don't think anyone wants to make Gruber's less difficult. I walked miles 8-9 last night and did some lopping/pruning. I counted 5 gorgeous rock piles in perfect locations that are ignored. Instead, the trail takes really tight turns through tight trees. To me, they're missed opportunities for true technical trail.
Josh McCreedy
 
Posts: 425
Joined: September 17th, 2004, 1:54 pm
Location: Holly

Postby KRUG » March 31st, 2006, 10:52 am

Josh McCreedy wrote:I don't think anyone wants to make Gruber's less difficult. I walked miles 8-9 last night and did some lopping/pruning. I counted 5 gorgeous rock piles in perfect locations that are ignored. Instead, the trail takes really tight turns through tight trees. To me, they're missed opportunities for true technical trail.


Josh,

I was on my bike and was looking for you out there but I skipped those miles of trail. I had seen your truck parked at the corrner on Hess road.

I was also looking at rock piles last night along the trail. Let's get started on them. I think this would be a great addition to our trail.


Krug
User avatar
KRUG
 
Posts: 506
Joined: July 2nd, 2003, 7:08 pm
Location: Ortonville

Postby mr_opjones » March 31st, 2006, 11:06 am

KRUG wrote:Let's get started on them. I think this would be a great addition to our trail.


Krug


awesome :!:
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
User avatar
mr_opjones
 
Posts: 4604
Joined: November 22nd, 2004, 2:43 pm
Location: Rochester Hills

Postby G.Cook » March 31st, 2006, 1:39 pm

It has been my expeariance when working on any trail during any given trail day that the only reason a trail is changed in any way is becuase of sustainability issues not to lessen the difficulty of the trail. The "dumbing down the trail " issue is always taken into consideration during the discussions of the work crew.
G.Cook
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: June 24th, 2002, 10:17 pm

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 31st, 2006, 2:31 pm

Krug-I've got some freedom this weekend if you want to get out there. I won't be checking the board again after today, so give me a call. Anyone else interested? Call.

810-656-1556
Josh McCreedy
 
Posts: 425
Joined: September 17th, 2004, 1:54 pm
Location: Holly

Postby KRUG » March 31st, 2006, 4:08 pm

Josh McCreedy wrote:Krug-I've got some freedom this weekend if you want to get out there. I won't be checking the board again after today, so give me a call. Anyone else interested? Call.

810-656-1556


Free 1st half of Sat. riding all day Sunday. We need to remove some downed trees from mile 5.o to 5.5 on the East loop (Gruber's).

Josh, I'll give you a call.
User avatar
KRUG
 
Posts: 506
Joined: July 2nd, 2003, 7:08 pm
Location: Ortonville

Postby Daveniz » April 2nd, 2006, 9:06 pm

Is this trail still in poor condition, or can it be ridden?.
Dave
User avatar
Daveniz
 
Posts: 5
Joined: March 19th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby murco » April 3rd, 2006, 9:35 am

Daveniz wrote:Is this trail still in poor condition, or can it be ridden?.


rode it on 3/29... miles 1-7 great, 8-9 great, 10-15 mostly ok, a few muddy spots but you can get around them.
murco
 
Posts: 53
Joined: November 11th, 2004, 11:02 am
Location: flint

Postby Josh McCreedy » April 3rd, 2006, 11:46 am

Krug- Good working with you. Sorry I had to take off so quickly. Did you get a chance to talk to Shawn? Just curious. Nobody mentioned anything about mile 7-8. Did anyone ride this section after Saturday?
Josh McCreedy
 
Posts: 425
Joined: September 17th, 2004, 1:54 pm
Location: Holly

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron