CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby jeffcolombo » March 27th, 2006, 5:04 pm

THANK YOU ALL THAT SHOWED UP FOR THE CHAINSAW & CHILI TRAIL DAY!

There was a great turn-out this last weekend for the trail day! The most we have ever had, again Thank You. Well I would like to say that ALL but 2 miles was cleared! We still need to get between the 3-5 mile markers on Gruber's to be done. I will be gone this weekend so I can't get to them. But I will be out the on the April 8 or 9 to cleard out the rest. If anyone would like to join me email me or pm me.
jeffcolombo

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 27th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Kudos to Jeff, Krug, Ginger for organizing a great trail day. It was obvious that a ton of work went into it with walking, mapping, and of course, the chili! It was great to meet everyone.

Jeff, I have some students who need service hours, so I may get them out on Gruber's this weekend. Please don't tell me you're going to the Red again!
Josh McCreedy

Postby jeffcolombo » March 27th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Nope I'll be in Texas climbing! :P March 29-April 2. 8) Going to The Red will be Easter weekend! Interested in going? So far only 1 other going.
jeffcolombo

Grubers

Postby jeffcolombo » March 27th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I like what everyone is saying about Gruber, but its not going to be done overnight. Also this is a great place to get things started for ideas, but it should be talked about on a group ride! That is were the best conversation will come out seeing the trail and what everyone is wanting and where.

There is a way to just do the first 7 miles and not ride Hess road! I walked that straight shot its really not on the map and it takes you past the 14 mile marker. I have found walking the trail is the best way to see the trail. When I ride the trails I am going either to fast or I'm consintrating on what is in front of me.

I will be either riding (trail conditions permiting) or walking it in sections to mark all the old log piles that need to be removed. This will be done by the next trail day. I will hopfully have some places to put new ones at also, just in case we have enough people to do both.

The are quite a few field stone plies from the days when the area was a farm. I will also have them marked, some already are. Then maybe we can use the raocks for the trail or make the trail go over them. On some of the the rock piles I seen the trail goes right next to it so why not spur the trail so you have a choice!

Once I GPS mark all the old log piles and rock piles we can plan and organize our efforts. Most of you have seen my GPS map!

I don't want random work going on out there, that isn't good for trail flow either. Lets keep it a coordinated effort. We don't just have to do this work on trail days either, we can work out there in groups on other days. Krug or I will be available for other days.

There is also work that needs to be done on the North and West loops also! There are some areas that are badly erroded. So much time has been spent on trimming roses that we haven't done this type of work. As always its about volenteers, if 15-20 people show up regularly we can get more done, if not less gets done.

Jeff Colombo
Holdridge Trail Coordinator
jeffcolombo

Postby jeffcolombo » March 29th, 2006, 9:15 am

Did I say something wrong? Nobody is posting a reply.

Jeff
jeffcolombo

Postby DownRiverRat » March 29th, 2006, 11:25 am

jeffcolombo wrote:Did I say something wrong? Nobody is posting a reply.

Jeff

NO........I think what you and others have posted is spot on.
I say let the haters hate and the riders...ride. RIDE ON!!!!
DownRiverRat

Postby Chris » March 29th, 2006, 11:30 am

is the east loop ridable?
I wanted to make the trail day but I had a house full of sick kids!
Sounds like a lot was accomplished.
2015 Specialized Fatboy
Chris

Postby KRUG » March 29th, 2006, 12:36 pm

There is still be a few trees down on the east loop at between 3-5 miles, should be able to walk around any remaining trees.

Bypass the two extra loops since they are most likely wet. That should get ya about 9 miles of ridable trail.

Krug.
KRUG

Postby Chris » March 29th, 2006, 12:57 pm

thanks, I think I'll check it out tomorrow.
2015 Specialized Fatboy
Chris

Postby Andy_B » March 29th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Jeff

I was sort of wating for a answer to my questions....
Andy_B

Postby Dan_Harrison » March 30th, 2006, 8:55 am

Andy_B wrote:

Jeff

I was sort of wating for a answer to my questions....

The answer is...
"The world is ruled by the people who show up."

Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby Andy_B » March 30th, 2006, 9:00 am

Thanks for the insight Dan, your so thoughtful.

:roll:

Typical management style answer....

edit: And people wonder why I don't belong to the MMBA. I offer my support, ask questions to help further my understand and all I get is smart-ass answers from the MMBA's leaders.

FNKA
Last edited by Andy_B on March 30th, 2006, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy_B

Postby KRUG » March 30th, 2006, 9:05 am

Chris wrote:thanks, I think I'll check it out tomorrow.

I think I'll ride the East loop today at about 4:00pm.

Krug
KRUG

Postby dirt » March 30th, 2006, 9:27 am

Andy_B wrote:Thanks for the insight Dan, your so thoughtful.

:roll:

Typical management style answer....

edit: And people wonder why I don't belong to the MMBA. I offer my support, ask questions to help further my understand and all I get is smart-ass answers from the MMBA's leaders.

FNKA

Smart assed answers usually come from smart assed questions..

I'm confused, I must have 1 to-many closed head injuries.... More user-friendly by not dumbing it down?

Those two do not go hand in hand with the IMBA/MMBA.

care to explain?

I believe that the 'user friendly' comment is more in response to making the trail a stacked loop, so it's not as much an 'all or nothing' trail, with the only option being bailing back on the road. A stacked loop would allow people options of length, while staying on the trail. I don't think the 'user friendly' comment had anything to do with removing obstacles from the trail. Didn't you read where they ADDED another log pile during the trail day?
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby Andy_B » March 30th, 2006, 9:33 am

Dirt- This is what I was referring to, not to be a smart-ass.

Andy_B wrote:
Dan_Harrison wrote:

Since we were talking about the Grinder the other day, here are some thoughts based on what I saw, and comments from others.

<snip>
The devil is in the details, of course, but here are some general principles that could improve the Grinder:

1. Make it officially a stacked-loop trail. Use crossovers to create options to return *using the trail, not Hess Road*.

2. Use signage to designate options, distances, difficulty. Close all bandit bailouts, mark with "no traspassing" signs (when you do that, add an arrow on the trail that says "Return to Trailhead - X miles")

3. Create loops of, say, 9, 12 and 15 miles. For example, cutting across from the 7-mile mark to 13, makes a 9-mile loop.

This would make sense, but is the old road "private property"? If you follow the bail out option signage, thats where it leads to, and then from there to hess. I did not re-call any no trespassing signage going this route. Correct?

Dan_Harrison wrote:4. Emphasize *flow* on the initial loop: remove awkward lines, unnecessary obstacles. Place benches at scenic points, encourage users to take a break, hang in there, enjoy the experience. That way, even 9 miles of the revised trail will be about the same effort as 7 miles of the old.

How many miles we talking here Dan? The opening 5 miles flow great, if you are semi skilled rider. Granted some of the climbs are a bit tedious . I do not recall any "unnecessary obstacles" other than the rather large log pile, that is marked.

Dan_Harrison wrote:5. Emphasize *skill* on the middle loop: introduce more log crossings, rock features, challenging lines.

No more log crossings, they are to repetitive. Small ladder bridges maybe. More rock gardens, add them to the down hills and the climbs (there are tons of large boulders and baby heads out there). Berm the corners out, add some off camber turns and non bench cut climbs.

Dan_Harrison wrote:It should *all* have flow and sustainability, but these qualities will be most important on the inner loop, which will always get the most usage.
Dan

It already flows good. You just need to be able to pick a line and let it roll.

Also at around mile 5 or 6... there is that huge bowl... That would be a sweet feature... spiral down and back up.

my $.02
Last edited by Andy_B on March 30th, 2006, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy_B

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions