CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby ilikenature » October 12th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Critter7r wrote:Did you go IN the exit?

Riding tomorrow after a bit of a hiatus (got the big "V", and I don't mean Vatican), providing the weather holds. Rode a few miles a couple times this week, hoping to ride all of East, but may bail at Mile 7 if my "boys" aren't cooperating.

Hana no. It was shortly after the climb with the giant root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
ilikenature

Postby Critter7r » October 14th, 2013, 7:43 am

Speaking of which, there seems to be 2 less inches of dirt in front of the root. It's turning into a really tall obstacle to ride over.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » October 14th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Critter7r wrote:Speaking of which, there seems to be 2 less inches of dirt in front of the root. It's turning into a really tall obstacle to ride over.

Oh boy, here we go again (7 pages ago) :lol:
turbotoad

Postby Critter7r » October 14th, 2013, 1:15 pm

turbotoad wrote:
Critter7r wrote:Speaking of which, there seems to be 2 less inches of dirt in front of the root. It's turning into a really tall obstacle to ride over.

But I'm talking about ... since just 2 weeks ago. I've noticed it getting slowly taller and taller, but now (seemingly) suddenly it got scoured out a lot in just a little time.

All the more reason for coming up with a mediation plan. (Notice I didn't say "re-route").
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Sortaslow » October 14th, 2013, 1:21 pm

If you were not so *beep* bent against 29ers, it will really only feel like 1/2" higher. ;-)
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » October 14th, 2013, 1:29 pm

Critter7r wrote:
turbotoad wrote:

But I'm talking about ... since just 2 weeks ago. I've noticed it getting slowly taller and taller, but now (seemingly) suddenly it got scoured out a lot in just a little time.

All the more reason for coming up with a mediation plan. (Notice I didn't say "re-route").

Just a couple wheels being spun trying to get over it will do a lot. :\

My first thought would be armoring the front of it.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Critter7r » October 14th, 2013, 2:40 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Just a couple wheels being spun trying to get over it will do a lot. :\

Does "armor" imply a specific type of product? Or is it just a general term for "cover it with something"?

When I read "armor", I always think of the black plastic diamond-shaped stuff that holds the dirt in place, but we can't use that at Holdridge. I guess some rocks would work.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » October 14th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Critter7r wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Just a couple wheels being spun trying to get over it will do a lot. :\

Does "armor" imply a specific type of product? Or is it just a general term for "cover it with something"?

When I read "armor", I always think of the black plastic diamond-shaped stuff that holds the dirt in place, but we can't use that at Holdridge. I guess some rocks would work.

I think Steve is refering to some type of natural protection like rocks or some logs to make the approach less of a "wall" and more of a "ramp" shaped obstacle. That would give the rider a better chance to roll up over the obstacle rather than slam the wheel(s) into the side, causing the rear wheel to spin out. And if the wheel does spin it will have some harder surface to spin on and not dig into the trail tread itself.

I usually give a short burst of power just before my front wheel touches the root and "wheelie" the front tire over the root. Then just before the rear wheel hits I stop pedaling, throw myself (weight) forward and lift the rear up over the root. Then pedal away frm the root. This all happens in probably 1 second and causes no spin out if cleared. I have missed judged timing a few times and either spun out against the root or just got instantly stopped. But I think I've only NOT cleared the root maybe 3 times in the past four years. But like you said it does appear that it is getting "taller" and I nearly didn't make it a few days ago.
turbotoad

Postby c0nsumer » October 14th, 2013, 3:44 pm

turbotoad wrote: I think Steve is refering to some type of natural protection like rocks or some logs to make the approach less of a "wall" and more of a "ramp" shaped obstacle. That would give the rider a better chance to roll up over the obstacle rather than slam the wheel(s) into the side, causing the rear wheel to spin out. And if the wheel does spin it will have some harder surface to spin on and not dig into the trail tread itself.

That's exactly what I'm thinking of, actually. Some flat rocks or broken concrete or something before it filling in the shape the dirt had before, but something that won't chew away like the dirt did.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » October 15th, 2013, 5:43 am

Holdridge West, Tech, Lake, & North loops were all clear and dry last night.

Note: There is a tree across West at about 3/4 mile. There have been a few branches placed on either side of it to make it passable. Is this going to be a permanent feature? It is right at the bottom of a short downhill and really ruins momentum for the next short climb.

Also, the low hanger on Lake is getting pretty low. Still passable, unless you are wearing a bulky backpack!

"The Root" appeared unchanged to me. *shrug*

Really appreciate the berm work done on West -- really helps keep the flow going.
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » October 15th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Thanks, will give it a look this P.M.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby johanssont » October 15th, 2013, 1:59 pm

If people are so worried about dumbing down the trail or making it too easy why are they riding that hill anyway? It is the easy way up. Shouldn't you ride the face of that hill if you are looking for a challenge? It is a lot harder.
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Postby PK » October 15th, 2013, 5:48 pm

23.95 miles of sweet singletrack.
All this time wasted typing about 3" of root... :shock:
Pete.
PK

Postby Critter7r » October 16th, 2013, 7:23 am

Everything else there is perfect, so it's the only thing to *beep* about!
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Negaunee » October 17th, 2013, 12:38 pm

There is a tree down on the East Loop just before the 14.5 mile marker. It is a big, branchy thing and hard to get around/over. I tried to carry my bike over it but kept slipping and ended up pretty much throwing my bike up over it and scrambling through the branches. Probably needs a chainsaw unless you really like spending a lot of time handsawing.
Otherwise the East Loop (minus Orchard which I did not ride) was a lot of fun. Fun as long as you don't mind having a hard time seeing the trail due to all the downed leaves. And fun if you don't mind the fact that all those leaves are wet and rather slippery. But I found it fun! Got my ride in this Thursday morning before the rain. It will only be more wet and things will change with the coming rain, but that big, ugly tree will still be across the trail.
Negaunee

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments