CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby DownRiverRat » February 13th, 2006, 8:42 am

Rode west loop sunday 2/13. We counted only a few downed trees around the 1.5,2 and 3 mile marks, overhanging brush in a few other spots. The 4-6 inches of snow has been packed down by hikers( :D THANK YOU HIKERS!!! :D ) and has made the trail very rideable. We still had to walk a few of the steep hills due to traction issues(I blamed the tires :wink: ) but everything else was in good shape. GET OUT AND RIDE!!!
I say let the haters hate and the riders...ride. RIDE ON!!!!
DownRiverRat

Gruber's "trimming"

Postby Josh McCreedy » February 16th, 2006, 1:24 pm

I read the Bent Rim Bugle report on Holdridge and was surprised by comments about Gruber's. Is its condition really that good? I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I ran sections last fall that were an utter disaster. If it is that clean, then great job everyone! I can't wait to get on it.
Josh McCreedy

bent rim

Postby jeffcolombo » February 16th, 2006, 6:39 pm

I haven't gotten or read the report yet so not sure. As far as I know there is a lot of work needed there. But there is a possibility that someone went out there and did something without people knowing. If os then less work for us to do in March as far as cleaning has to go.

I have posted the dates for our trail days and events for Holdridge on the calender.
jeffcolombo

Holdridge West Loop?

Postby bike00 » February 28th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Anyone been on the west loop the last week or so? What kind of condition is it in?
bike00

West Loop Ride

Postby bike00 » March 1st, 2006, 8:12 pm

Rode the West loop this afternoon. It was mostly snow covered with very little mud in the bare areas. Couple of hike-a-bike dead falls to go over or around, but overall, the trail was in very good shape. Only boot tracks with mine the only tire tracks in the snow. Tried to get a few more miles in on the North loop, but the trail got pretty muddy in the open area after leaving the woods. I turned around so as to not mess up the trail.
bike00

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 6th, 2006, 11:38 am

The main west loop is now clear of deadfall. Tech loop three-foot drop area is clean, but not sure about the rest. We did not clean the Turtle or Lakeshore Drive trails.
TC's-I had high school students out there with me. Seven of us cleaned the main West Loop in just under three hours Saturday We saw three bikers in two parties, and one fisherman or rabbit hunter.
810-656-1556
Josh McCreedy

Trail hike

Postby jeffcolombo » March 13th, 2006, 9:17 pm

Well this weekend should be nice enough weekend to mark more of the downed trees on Grubers Grinder. So far I have GPS 28 downed trees on the last 5.5 miles of the trail (from the 9.5 mile to ean of trail). I still have to do the first 9.5 miles of this trail.

I haven't walked the tech loop yet but will be tomorrow. I have walked all the lake loop and turtle loop there are 5 trees needed to be cleared on there. Thank you Josh for clearing the trees on the West loop. I still need the names of your helpers for FAFL hours. Please email them to me.

There is a lot of work to be done out at the trails so please come out and join us March 25. See the MMBA calender for tools and time.
jeffcolombo

Re: Trail hike

Postby Diesel » March 14th, 2006, 2:59 am

jeffcolombo wrote:There is a lot of work to be done out at the trails so please come out and join us March 25. See the MMBA calendar for tools and time.

I'll try to get a group of the Ruby Campground/Team Sandbag bunch to help out. I posted the trailday on our team site.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby KRUG » March 14th, 2006, 6:44 am

Jeff,

I walked the first 7 miles of Gruber's to The Thorne Dog exit last Sunday and we have about 8 trees that will requrie a chainsaw and a lot of stuff that can be handled with a hand saw.

And with the wind we are having right now........

Krug
KRUG

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 14th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Jeff. I'm pm'ing you right now. I look forward to the Chainsaw day; I won't be able to get out there this weekend at all.
I should have 5-10 students to provide labor on the 25th.
Josh McCreedy

Postby Diesel » March 18th, 2006, 9:59 am

I walked the West Loop (no tech loop or lakeshore loop) this morning on my way home from work. There's good and bad to report...

THE GOOD-The temp was 22' when I started. The ground was firm and the trail would have been rideable in all but a very few spots. The trail is clear of fallen trees and I cleared away ALOT of small to medium sized new fallen branches. I think I will try to ride the trail tomorrow morning at the same time (7:30 AM). If you get there later in the day it may start to soften up.

THE BAD-Some Jackhole rode the trail on a dirt bike on what must have been a pretty warm day. It did considerable damage to several of the more sensitive parts of the trail, and there are deep, wide frozen ruts all over the place. It was also very apparent that this person looked to have the most fun in the muddiest parts of the trail. :x

Also, for the upcoming trail day...There are no trail maps or MMBA membership applications at the trail head sign.
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby jeffcolombo » March 18th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Diesel I must have just missed you I walked the tech Loop and see the same JACKHOLE'S TRACKS. I told Shawn about the incident today. He is not happy either. I didn't walk all the trail to see the damage in its entirity but from what I seen of the trail I was beside myself. I hope I don't see the POS 1 thing I know is he won't be riding anything for awhile! I also walked the miles 7-9.5 on Grubbers grinder. The good there is that I didn't see his thacks there.
jeffcolombo

Postby jeffcolombo » March 18th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Well the Chainsaw and Chili Trail day is coming up in a week and from what I hear there are going to be a lot of people attending, which is great because we need all the help we can get!

TELLING EVERYONE, WHOEVER IS USING A CHAIRSAW WILL HAVE TO HAVE A PAIR OF CHAINSAW CHAPS ON WITH EYE PROTECTION NO EXCEPTIONS!

Here is the assesment of the trails gathered over the last 3 weeks:

42 trees on Grubbers Grinder

3 trees on the North Loop

3 trees on the Lake Loop

2 trees on the Turtle Loop

3 trees on the Tech Loop

More trees could come down between now and then. As well as all the small braches on the trail I did clear some but not much.

If there are more than enough people for all the chainsaw crews, then I will have a crew or 2 taking out all the log piles on Grubbers Grinder, we will be building new ones in different areas on the April trail day! We will be using the trees from this clean-up.

Hope to see you all at the Trail Day!
jeffcolombo

Postby DownRiverRat » March 20th, 2006, 10:19 am

I'll be there bright and early, 9am,ready to work. I don't own a chainsaw so I plan to bring:

Loppers
Bow saw
Shovel
Rake
Gloves
Glasses
Camelback(with snacks)
Smiling personality and a SPOON......... :P
Did I miss anything???

I also plan to bring the new bike but looking at the MotorX report mud still seems to be a problem. I know all of the suspect mud holes on the West Loop(some better than others :lol: ) and most on the North loop. They stay a little wet most of the year. Well, except last year because it was soooo dry :cry::twisted: . Anyone think riding will be possible(if the weather holds out that is)? Who/ how many are going?
DownRiverRat

Postby Josh McCreedy » March 20th, 2006, 12:44 pm

I'll be there with some students from Holly High Outdoor Club.
Jeff, will you have those extra chaps/chainsaw gear that Mary Ann had last year? I'll bring my saw. I can't wait to hear more about the new log action.
Josh McCreedy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions