CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby Critter7r » August 28th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Riding East in the morning before anyone else has been thru is always fun ... go in clean-shaven with a short-sleeve shirt, come out with a sweater and a beard!

Oh, and the apples in Meadows must be more bad-ass than the ones in Orchard; I ate one and it made more of them appear. Then one ran under my front tire and tried to make me crash.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » August 29th, 2013, 6:30 pm

West loop this evening. Trail was in pretty good shape, tacky and a little damp still. A couple water/mud holes in the cronic wet spots. Also a few small trees down at about the 1mile, 3 mile, and just before the Tech Loop split. All small enough to be bunny hopped if so desired. Or at least ridden over easily. Just sort of upset the flow that's all. There is a large downed tree on the downhill after the Tech Loop's first skinny. I attempted to make it passible by putting ramp logs/branches on either side, but it is in a tricky spot with a root just before it. So the approach is very jarring. It should probably just be removed. It looked like someone wiped out on the Tech Loop double log crossing as the "ramp" logs were scattered and there was a busted up reflector on the ground. I put the logs back as best I could. There were some broken limbs sticking out into the trail along the long wooden matting section of Lake Loop. The entire west could use a "touch-up" with some hand pruners for all the stuff growing into the trail. The last climb out of Lake Loop looked pretty good and the repair is holding up so far.

North Loop was once again pretty wet/muddy in a couple spots. The repaired "swamp" section looked good but was REALLY soft and gooey. There were a few pizza slices already appearing.
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » August 29th, 2013, 9:08 pm

What turbo said. *thumbsup*

The repairs (filled mud holes) done two weeks ago on North had time to get bedded-in and have worked out well, but the the long section in the swamp didn't have enough time to firm up and is becoming a gooey mess. Nuts. We'll keep an eye on it to see how well it dries out.

Still, the North loop was in real nice shape overall. We were able to do two laps at our best "race pace" and had a ball.
lawn dart

Postby SAuge » August 30th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Big tree down on the west loop after the hanging tree. If no one else will, I plan on sawing it Sunday morning. (Sat is the Renfest!)
SAuge

Postby Jim O » August 31st, 2013, 12:51 am

Go for it! I am out of town, county and state until next weekend! However, big trees may and should need some help. Might ask Andy or Ron's assistance.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby black2003ss » August 31st, 2013, 7:32 pm

Rode West and Lake Shore Loops tonight. That big tree right after the hanging tree on West is still there, so it looks like you might be getting it tomorrow morning. Another rider said there were four trees down on West as I left the lot for a loop. I stopped and moved 3 of them off to the side on my first lap, they weren't that big. On Lake Shore, there is a really low hanger, big tree, right at the top of the last big sandy climb (which is holding up nicely to the rain now). Riders can hug the handles bars to pass underneath it. It looks like it will be a big job though, should have another person or two to help out. Other than those two remaining trees, West is good to go. Most of the repairs seem to be holding up very well and not holding water anymore.
black2003ss

Postby SAuge » September 1st, 2013, 12:23 pm

OK - took out the hanger and the 10 inch downed tree between .5 and 1 on the west loop.

Also took out the mess at the "top of the hill" on the lake loop. Yep, finally sagged so much even I couldn't walk under it so off it went. I piled up the refuse so they might be used for "don't be goin here" logs somewhere... or not. :)

That's all I know about!
Last edited by SAuge on September 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAuge

Postby black2003ss » September 1st, 2013, 12:26 pm

That's awesome! Thank you for doing that.
black2003ss

Postby ilikenature » September 2nd, 2013, 7:12 am

How much rain did the holly area get last night?

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby black2003ss » September 2nd, 2013, 7:20 am

The main storm cell went right through here at 11:45 last night and we got dumped on for half an hour or better. I personally would give it until later this afternoon, then it should be OK. We had some high winds too so expect some possible downed trees.
black2003ss

Postby ilikenature » September 2nd, 2013, 12:44 pm

Went this morning around 10. Awesome riding conditions.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby black2003ss » September 4th, 2013, 8:07 pm

West and Lake loops were awesome tonight. Thanks again for the cleanup, it's nice not having to stop to climb over trees, etc.
black2003ss

Postby lawn dart » September 4th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Did a little more work on the North loop, filling mud holes and flattening pizza cutters. The trail itself is clear, fast, and remarkably dry, but some of our earlier repairs will need to be monitored until they all get packed down and bedded-in.
lawn dart

Postby turbotoad » September 5th, 2013, 4:32 pm

CAUTION !!! Large tree down on the last downhill out of the Lake Loop (just before the trail merge and last bridge). Right as you come around a blind corner at high speed ! VERY bad spot. I almost slammed into it at full speed. Can't believe I managed to stop in time...... This was at about 4:30pm today. Hope nobody has a really bad day because of it :shock:

Edit;

North trail looked great. Nice work. Swampy section still a little soft but getting better.
turbotoad

Postby SAuge » September 6th, 2013, 10:07 am

I'll take a look at that tree on lake loop tonight (friday) and bringing my saw.
SAuge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments