CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby andyf » August 18th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Thanks to all who came out to trail day yesterday.. Ron, Jim, Todd, Scott, Conrad, Josh, Cory, and Jesse. 9 in total... our best turnout this year. We completed trimming on East and part of North and repairs on West (as Todd described below). Still plenty more that needs to be done.

If you are motivated to do some trail work on something that you would like to see addressed, please let one of the TC's know (myself or Ron). Send us a PM from this forum or email holdrige@cramba.org. We want to make sure that all efforts are coordinated, are acceptable according to DNR guidelines and work together to achieve the best possible balance for different trail sections or loops (sustainability, riding styles and preferences, degree of difficulty, environmental impact, etc.). We use the IMBA Trail Solutions book http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building as a guide for maintenance and improvement. At bottom right on this web page, check out the free "Trail Building and Design" papers. This will give you some idea of the detail in the book and the detail that potentially goes into trail improvement planning. There are many more things to consider than you might think.

So... if you have a project in mind... (like the regrading of muddy spots on North)... just run it by us. If it makes sense (all things considered)... we'll give you the green light to do the work and may even rally some resources to pitch in to get it done. North is very flat and so the options to deal with water are very limited. Re-grading is somewhat helpful, but only temporary unless you can take advantage of very small changes in elevation. Permanent fixes are more likely limited to armoring (i.e. with rock) or bridging over consistently wet areas.
lawn dart wrote: I got in trouble for working on the trail (filling low muddy spots on North) without official CRAMBA/DNR clearance.

Small work projects like this can be very helpful if well thought out and if attempting to provide the best practice solution for a given trail section/problem. We need all the help we can get... so let's work together.

-Andy.
andyf

Postby turbotoad » August 18th, 2013, 5:00 pm

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
MediumRB wrote:Road Gruber's Grinder today and it was in fantastic shape. Very fast, except for the sudden, tight turns that make you scrub all your speed. Been a year since I was out there. Seems like a lot of downhill without too much climbing - some sort of gravity tricks going on at that trail. Great job by the crew yesterday and it was hazard free in totality.

I always thought it was a bunch of climbing without too much downhill, but I'm OFS (old, fat & slow), so what do I know.... :P

Me too (both points)! That's why I tend to prefer the West flow over Grubers grind. Grubers seems to have a few fast, technical, gnarly downhills. But they don't seem very long...and then your either on a stair climber from *beep* or twisting around more than Chuby Checker on crack :P 20 years ago Grubers would be a "fun" ride, but now that I'm OFS it's more of a "how much longer will this friggn' torture last" kind of rides :wink:
turbotoad

Postby Toy529 » August 19th, 2013, 12:05 pm

I love Grubers,,it is awesome ...you know that you have riden it when you are done.
Toy529

Postby Jim O » August 19th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Toy529 wrote:I love Grubers,,it is awesome ...you know that you have riden it when you are done.

What he said!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » August 19th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Well, I come the Appalachian mountains (google Fountainhead, Virginia) and they fixed up the mountain bike trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4yhZDwIBs) - some, like me, say it is more of a race track now than a mountain trail - personally I think they f'ed it up and all it needs is pavement - but imagine six or seven The Walls ya got to go UP hill on! This too is a state park.

Another in the area is Wakefield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_j-ahL3DBQ) on the other side of D.C. Much more mellow, but entertaining. More popular that is for sure.

(And no, I didn't video any rides linked!)
SAuge

Postby SAuge » August 19th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Of course, there is always Copper Harbor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQjKFs40F8
SAuge

Postby lawn dart » August 20th, 2013, 10:29 am

SAuge wrote:Well, I come the Appalachian mountains (google Fountainhead, Virginia) and they fixed up the mountain bike trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4yhZDwIBs)

That trail looks fun. I really like the mellow 'floater' tabletop jumps it has. Just a little airtime before the next section. 8)

Thanks for posting!
lawn dart

Postby lawn dart » August 21st, 2013, 5:32 am

Rode Holdridge East for the first time yesterday evening (Aug 20). Those trails give you a real workout.

Conditions were quite good, though there is erosion in many of the climbs & desents (with the attendant sand at the bottom), and a decent-sized mud hole on the Orchard loop.

Many thanks for all the maintenance done last Saturday. That had to be a BIG effort. There were signs of some serious lumberjack work on Grubers Grinder, and lots & lots & LOTS of trimming on Grubers and Meadows loops.
lawn dart

Postby acidtattoo » August 22nd, 2013, 1:26 pm

I rode Gruber's, West, & Tech earlier today.
Gruber's - trail is in great shape. Little sand developing in the first and last few miles, but nothing big. I moved a few skinny trees of the trail. I think the biggest "issue" I found was apples all over the trail, especially in the Orchards (go figure). They tried to toss my bike off the trail in a few corners, until I ate one of them. I think the rest got the message.
West & Tech - no issues at all, aside from a guy walking his dogs off a leash.
acidtattoo

Postby SAuge » August 22nd, 2013, 1:54 pm

acidtattoo wrote: I think the biggest "issue" I found was apples all over the trail, especially in the Orchards (go figure). They tried to toss my bike off the trail in a few corners, until I ate one of them. I think the rest got the message.

LOL
SAuge

Postby black2003ss » August 24th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Great work on the West Loop! It looks like a lot of that armoring and shoring up on the low spots will work out. Trail was super dry and fast tonight. Even saw quite a bit of sand popping up.

I busted my chain out there, twice, tonight though so I only got to make 1 loop and walked the last mile...sans bug spray :roll:

Also, someone lost some sunglasses out there today, saw the note below posted on the board at the trailhead. If you found them, I'm sure James would appreciate a call!

black2003ss

Postby lawn dart » August 26th, 2013, 10:20 am

TC Andy F. & I did some trail work on the North loop, filling mud holes and raising the trailbed in the long marshy area.

If anyone rides the North loop, please let us know your thoughts on the repairs. :!:
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » August 26th, 2013, 12:29 pm

acidtattoo wrote:I rode Gruber's, West, & Tech earlier today.
Gruber's - trail is in great shape. Little sand developing in the first and last few miles, but nothing big. I moved a few skinny trees of the trail. I think the biggest "issue" I found was apples all over the trail, especially in the Orchards (go figure). They tried to toss my bike off the trail in a few corners, until I ate one of them. I think the rest got the message.
West & Tech - no issues at all, aside from a guy walking his dogs off a leash.

You might notice this year is a bumper year for apples everywhere and not just the trails. Trees are loaded, the ground is loaded and if you are not careful one's head might get loaded. The ground apples will test your handling skills. Watch those low hanging limbs. Deer should be good and fat for the hunters.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » August 27th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Rode Monday on the North loop - great job guys! Now we see if it lasts the rain storms this week!
SAuge

Postby Negaunee » August 28th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Road East Loop Wednesday morning minus the Orchard Loop. The trail was wet from the rain making the rocks and roots slippery but the trail was firm. Even the sandy spots were rideable. There was very little mud to speak of, some of the usual puddles but they weren't even that bad. I cleared any obstructing debris after all the storms but there was plenty of stuff on the trail that can be ridden over or dodged without problems. All the branches are hanging low due to the heavy moisture, much of which I absorbed into my clothes as I rode, it was quite cooling. I also cleared out a lot of the spider webs with my face, you're welcome. Had a good ride, should be even better if things get to dry a little more.
Negaunee

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments