CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby lawn dart » August 7th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Rode West & Tech a couple of times this evening. Cleared deadfall at .5 and 1.5 miles. The rest of the trail was clear except for a few face slappers. Dozens of muddy areas, which is curious because most of them could be easily configured to drain naturally. We skipped North figuring it would be a mess.

I'm in if there is a trail day planned. These trails are too fun to be ruined by a passing shower.
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » August 8th, 2013, 10:53 am

lawn dart wrote:Rode West & Tech a couple of times this evening. Cleared deadfall at .5 and 1.5 miles. The rest of the trail was clear except for a few face slappers. Dozens of muddy areas, which is curious because most of them could be easily configured to drain naturally. We skipped North figuring it would be a mess.

I'm in if there is a trail day planned. These trails are too fun to be ruined by a passing shower.

As listed on the CRAMBA website:

http://www.cramba.org/calendar/
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » August 8th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Cliffs: Trail day is next Saturday, August 17th.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby lawn dart » August 8th, 2013, 2:13 pm

mmba6862 wrote:
lawn dart wrote:I'm in if there is a trail day planned.

As listed on the CRAMBA website:
http://www.cramba.org/calendar/

Awesome!
Many thanks for the link.
lawn dart

Postby andyf » August 12th, 2013, 7:06 pm

*HOLDRIDGE TRAIL DAY* this Sat Aug 17 10am-2pm

Meet at the Holdridge trail head for a Trail Day - Hess Rd, Holly, MI, 48442

There are numerous possible work projects for all three loops dependent on volunteer turnout (like the one quoted below):

lawn dart wrote:Dozens of muddy areas, which is curious because most of them could be easily configured to drain naturally

Holdridge trails are 100% maintained by volunteer efforts.

Take some time out to give back to the trails that you enjoy!

Bring work gloves, eye protection, bug repellent, and water.

Ron Arnott/Andy Fraser
Holdridge Trail Coordinators
Holly State Recreation Area
holdridge@cramba.org
andyf

Postby Critter7r » August 13th, 2013, 7:27 am

Forgot to mention ... on Sunday evening, there was a 10-inch tree down just before the 14.5 sign on the return. Not hoppable, it's about thigh high. It comes up kinda fast, it's just after a downhill left sweeper, and just before the small (maybe one-foot) rock drop-off.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » August 13th, 2013, 11:17 am

Critter7r wrote:Forgot to mention ... on Sunday evening, there was a 10-inch tree down just before the 14.5 sign on the return. Not hoppable, it's about thigh high. It comes up kinda fast, it's just after a downhill left sweeper, and just before the small (maybe one-foot) rock drop-off.

Thanks Chris, will take care of! There have been several in that area over the years. See you Saturday?

Update, the tree is now on the ground and partially cut. Pinched the chain on the saw(stupid) will finish today.

Be very careful here as this tree is on a fast downhill with a blind turn and a bit big to jump!
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » August 14th, 2013, 7:59 am

After I went out cutting, I've been thinking of cutting the log in half across the trail and use the waste product as a bridge on and off the log. Just an idea.

(Note, I'm not cutting the latest log!)
SAuge

Postby andyf » August 15th, 2013, 6:10 pm

SAuge wrote:I've been thinking of cutting the log in half across the trail and use the waste product as a bridge on and off the log.

Most very large trees that fell near optimal position or could be moved with block and tackle somewhat parallel to existing trail have been converted into skinnys. That is usually a project for several people. I don't think this recent 10" fall is a good candidate with good location. Not sure exactly what you had in mind, but we can discuss at trail day if you make it out this Sat.
andyf

Postby xcrdr » August 16th, 2013, 9:08 am

First ride in quite a while on west and tech. Thanks for the work. It's a blast. Cleared the wall on my 1x9. Might not be tough for some but it was a challenge. Feels good at the top. I'm guessing local Single speeders make it.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby F7Cannon » August 17th, 2013, 7:39 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on this trail. Made it out today for the first time, rode all loops except for turtle. The tech loop is a blast and the west loop is a real workout. Trail was in great shape, thanks again. That is a lot of trail out there to maintain.
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-264 Geared-537 Road Bike-111
F7Cannon

Postby lawn dart » August 17th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Rode West, Tech & North. All are drying out very well.

Met Andy F. & Scott who were assisting at the CRAMBA Trail Day. You can see their handiwork everywhere -- lots of fixes & improvements. Thanks to all who pitched in.

I got in trouble for working on the trail (filling low muddy spots on North) without official CRAMBA/DNR clearance. Sorry, Guys! The last thing I want is to create friction between our club and Parks & Rec/DNR. (I just can't manage the 10am Saturday morning start time!)
lawn dart

Postby turbotoad » August 18th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Just got back from riding West and North. West loop is finally almost completly dry except for a couple of small spots. The places we (Ron, Josh, and myself) armored and repaired looked good and should hold up well. Ron and I worked on repairing the last climb out of Lake Loop yesterday by filling in the eroded trench and clearing the re-rout on the lefthand side a little. We also put in a number of water "re-directs" to hopefully slow and divert some of the water coming down the hill. I rode up the filled in area and it was 100 times better than before (still pretty loose). It may need a little bit if "touch-up" in a few weeks after it's been "riden in" and packed down by riders ans rain. But it looks like it should hold up for some time.

The North loop was trimmed in a few select areas and it looked like a couple of the early muddy areas had some work done. Unfortunately there is still that one long mudfest section! It appears that nothing can really be done there because of the landscape and the lack of anywhere to direct water off of the trail. But the edges of this area are starting to get dry and you can skirt around the sides fairly well.

Thanks to everyone who came out yesterday to work on the trails. It was cool to meet you all and hopefully the turn out is as good (or BETTER) the next work day.

Todd
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

Postby MediumRB » August 18th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Road Gruber's Grinder today and it was in fantastic shape. Very fast, except for the sudden, tight turns that make you scrub all your speed. Been a year since I was out there. Seems like a lot of downhill without too much climbing - some sort of gravity tricks going on at that trail. Great job by the crew yesterday and it was hazard free in totality.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » August 18th, 2013, 3:42 pm

MediumRB wrote:Road Gruber's Grinder today and it was in fantastic shape. Very fast, except for the sudden, tight turns that make you scrub all your speed. Been a year since I was out there. Seems like a lot of downhill without too much climbing - some sort of gravity tricks going on at that trail. Great job by the crew yesterday and it was hazard free in totality.

I always thought it was a bunch of climbing without too much downhill, but I'm OFS (old, fat & slow), so what do I know.... :P
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments