CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby c0nsumer » July 28th, 2013, 5:51 pm

jthomp wrote:What about installing some erosion control similar to the dragon scale matting like is in use at Poto?

From what I know of that webbing, it should never be visible. If it is visible as it is at Photo then its use has failed to meet the desired goal.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby b_b » July 28th, 2013, 6:04 pm

I think that webbing is a temporary bandaid. Brighton has similar issues and the multiple reroutes done over past couple years on both ML and TS are awesome. They used some power equipment.
b_b

Postby iamkickstand » July 29th, 2013, 10:48 am

Rather than re-route the trail, why not just understand that erosion is going to happen and to maintain fun trails they need to be maintained?

There is nothing wrong with a work day to go out there and move some dirt and do some "damage/erosion" control and leave the trail just as it is. Sure, the erosion will come back, but the idea that you'll ever build the perfect maintenance free erosion free trail is ridiculous.
iamkickstand

Postby barry1me » July 29th, 2013, 1:26 pm

what are the current conditions like? Anyone been on the trails in past few days?
barry1me

Postby Critter7r » July 29th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Rode East from the Hess entrance/exit to the end and West yesterday during the rain, and it was pretty perfect. Just a coupla muddy spots. Nothing to keep anyone from riding the trail.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby lawn dart » July 29th, 2013, 7:09 pm

iamkickstand wrote:...but the idea that you'll ever build the perfect maintenance free erosion free trail is ridiculous.

True, but careful planning and scrupulous maintenance can get you close.

Addison Oaks has been laid-out in such a way that there are very few "fall line" sections of trail. There are no steep gullys in the trail for rainwater to sluice through. Gutter-like troughs line many portions of the trail to direct water away, and buried culverts provide drainage for low areas or places where water may pool. A variety of bridges span creeks, ponds, and chronically wet areas.

Plus, Trail-Angel Pauly provides near-maniacal attention to the trail. The results? A highly-rated & enjoyable trail that can be ridden the day after a serious downpour, and rarely suffers debilitating tear-ups.

The sad fact about our sport is that some of the most challenging, adrenaline-pumping sections of trail are almost always maintenance whores.

Trail day, anyone?
lawn dart

Postby iamkickstand » July 29th, 2013, 7:34 pm

lawn dart wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:...but the idea that you'll ever build the perfect maintenance free erosion free trail is ridiculous.

True, but careful planning and scrupulous maintenance can get you close.

Addison Oaks has been laid-out in such a way that there are very few "fall line" sections of trail. There are no steep gullys in the trail for rainwater to sluice through. Gutter-like troughs line many portions of the trail to direct water away, and buried culverts provide drainage for low areas or places where water may pool. A variety of bridges span creeks, ponds, and chronically wet areas.

Plus, Trail-Angel Pauly provides near-maniacal attention to the trail. The results? A highly-rated & enjoyable trail that can be ridden the day after a serious downpour, and rarely suffers debilitating tear-ups.

The sad fact about our sport is that some of the most challenging, adrenaline-pumping sections of trail are almost always maintenance whores.

Trail day, anyone?

I don't disagree with you, but the fall line trail exists, it's not impossible to make it last longer and be less prone to erosion without having to reroute it
iamkickstand

Postby acidtattoo » July 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Rode a few laps of East today. Trail is in great shape, with only a few small mud spots in the Orchards. There are 2 trees down - one at 3.25 miles in, one right after the 4 mile marker. Both will need a good size hand saw/ chainsaw.
acidtattoo

Postby jthomp » August 1st, 2013, 12:20 pm

I know it rained a lot yesterday. Would the East Loop be rideable by Sunday?
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby SAuge » August 1st, 2013, 3:43 pm

I'll get those trees that are down by the three and four mile markers.

A lot of the east loop might be ridable by Saturday (provided no more rain.) A great deal of the trail is sand and gravel with a few spots of mud dirt. I do see a thunderstorm forecast for Friday though...
SAuge

Postby iamkickstand » August 1st, 2013, 4:32 pm

east loop should be just fine after rain this time of year. May be greasy, but you are not going to hurt the trail. Go enjoy it.
iamkickstand

Postby SAuge » August 1st, 2013, 7:30 pm

Trees are cut - trail was beautiful!
SAuge

Postby turbotoad » August 1st, 2013, 8:00 pm

Rode West today at around 5-ish...Started out sort of dry but soon got caught up in a 10 minute thunderstorm. Trail was clear of any downed trees but plenty of wet spots and greasy corners! North was a disaster.....I should have known better than to even attempt the North that shortly after a rain :(
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » August 3rd, 2013, 11:05 pm

We rode West, Lake, Tech & North loops today for the first time. All were in really good condition (except for about 15' of mud on North), and really fun.
lawn dart

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » August 4th, 2013, 5:33 pm

There was a lost dog (Boxer?) running the trail in the Orchard Loop today 8/4/13.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120226
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments