CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby PK » July 1st, 2013, 7:38 am

And yes. My shoulders are still sore from using the hedge trimmer as well.

Pete.
PK

Postby SAuge » July 1st, 2013, 10:02 am

I did some trimming on the East loop 14.5 to 14 and a bit beyond that (but not to the log that was cut on Sunday.) Broke my weed wacker head too! Bad day for weed wackers.
SAuge

Postby Negaunee » July 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

There is a tree down right at the start of the East Loop. It is only about 3-4" in diameter but is forked and the base is still attached to the trunk, making it impossible to move on my own. A chainsaw would make short work of it. A handsaw would take a little bit more effort but would still work I think. I had neither. Its less than 100ft in from where the start of East Loop crosses the road, easy access.
Negaunee

Postby SAuge » July 2nd, 2013, 3:26 pm

I'll saw that tree tonight (Tuesday night)
SAuge

Postby andyf » July 3rd, 2013, 9:50 am

I'll be out trimming on East ~0.5 - #3 (going positive) starting at about 12:30 today (as soon as I can get some equipment and get out there).
andyf

Postby iamkickstand » July 3rd, 2013, 9:15 pm

North loop was muddy tonight, lots of fun. West loop was in decent shape, Tech loop was good.

1. There is a shortcut developing on the north loop around a rooty section, really should be blocked off.
2. The skinnies on the west loop are starting to rot pretty bad, any repairs going to happen on these?
3. The 3 ft drop really should be properly labed as a 12" drop.
iamkickstand

Postby andyf » July 5th, 2013, 3:28 pm

iamkickstand wrote:1. There is a shortcut developing on the north loop around a rooty section, really should be blocked off.
2. The skinnies on the west loop are starting to rot pretty bad, any repairs going to happen on these?
3. The 3 ft drop really should be properly labed as a 12" drop.

Throw a log + leaves in the shortcut if you see something available. Will consider the other two items on the list of sign updates/projects. Won't get to any projects until trimming on East is done.
andyf

Postby andyf » July 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Note: if you participated in Trail Day or did any ad hoc work on the trail, make sure to report your volunteer hours at...
http://www.cramba.org/record-volunteer-hours/

The TC's don't track/report hours any longer as we did under the MMBA Holly/Flint Chapter.

Also Note: Report any trail damage or hazardous conditions to the Holly Recreation Area park staff by calling 248-634-8811. After meeting with Holly Rec DNR on 6/29, they clarified that the DNR Hotline should only be used for emergencies.
andyf

Postby mountainbiker1911 » July 5th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Today while I was riding / taking a break at the covered structure in the parking lot, a older man came through on a dirt bike. He looked like he was going to ride the West loop until he noticed a few of us watching, he got out of there fast at that point. I would have called the DNR but he didn't do anything wrong at that point. It was a green enduro and he was a older bald white male with a white longer beard.
Thankz

Shawn

2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite 1300 miles and...
2013 Trek Domane 4.5 1200 miles and ...
Keep riding my friends
mountainbiker1911

Postby xycarp » July 5th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I've been camping in Holly for the the past few years on the 4th. Every year we ride Grubbers Grid, and never really enjoy it. Its a nice trail, just a bit good choppy for my tastes... This year we decided to explore the other loops after our grubber loop for the first time... *beep*, I like that West loop / tech loop / lake loop. :).

Nice flow, fast and fun. We went back again today and did a couple more laps, and will likely again tomorrow too. I am just kicking myself for skipping it in previous years... It is definitely a trail worth riding. Nice work out there boys. :). Its obviously a well maintained trail.
xycarp

Postby Critter7r » July 5th, 2013, 8:21 pm

andyf wrote:Note: if you participated in Trail Day or did any ad hoc work on the trail, make sure to report your volunteer hours at...
http://www.cramba.org/record-volunteer-hours/

The TC's don't track/report hours any longer as we did under the MMBA Holly/Flint Chapter.

Also Note: Report any trail damage or hazardous conditions to the Holly Recreation Area park staff by calling 248-634-8811. After meeting with Holly Rec DNR on 6/29, they clarified that the DNR Hotline should only be used for emergencies.

Glad you mentioned that. I didn't want to double-report my hours and I thought that the waiver was somehow tied to the hours being reported. I just went and reported mine.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby c0nsumer » July 5th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Critter7r wrote:Glad you mentioned that. I didn't want to double-report my hours and I thought that the waiver was somehow tied to the hours being reported. I just went and reported mine.

This depends on the trail, trail day, and the TC. Some TCs enter the hours for everyone, others ask that the individual trail workers report their own hours.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby SAuge » July 6th, 2013, 9:20 am

There is a tree down in west loop. Somebody (or people) have been gathering wood for a log pile but haven't put it around the tree that fell yet. I think it is a good idea. Just saying!
SAuge

Postby andyf » July 8th, 2013, 7:41 am

SAuge wrote:There is a tree down in west loop. Somebody (or people) have been gathering wood for a log pile but haven't put it around the tree that fell yet. I think it is a good idea. Just saying!

Posting with the nearest .5 mile marker helps minimize the time and effort to locate and cut... or at least describe the general location as best you can. Any idea?

Also...to all others... if you cut something posted, please update the forum so others are not chasing something that is already cut... and keep in mind + 3ft cut from center line of the trail to allow for DR trimmer or brush hog ground trimming to easily pass by (unless we are purposely creating a choke point to keep out ATVs or for some other reason).

Just a friendly reminder to all :D
andyf

Postby iamkickstand » July 8th, 2013, 8:58 am

xycarp wrote:I've been camping in Holly for the the past few years on the 4th. Every year we ride Grubbers Grid, and never really enjoy it. Its a nice trail, just a bit good choppy for my tastes... This year we decided to explore the other loops after our grubber loop for the first time... *beep*, I like that West loop / tech loop / lake loop. :).

Nice flow, fast and fun. We went back again today and did a couple more laps, and will likely again tomorrow too. I am just kicking myself for skipping it in previous years... It is definitely a trail worth riding. Nice work out there boys. :). Its obviously a well maintained trail.

The West, North, Tech, and Lake loops all have a VERY different feel from the East Loop, though the east loop does have a certain charm, the other loops are much more fun in my opinion. I think so many people associate holdridge with grubers grinder that the other loops don't get ridden as often from any but people more local/familiar with the trail system.
iamkickstand

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments