CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby andyf » June 21st, 2013, 10:28 pm

I'll post a bit more Trail Day detail in the morning as we'll be sending out an email announcement to available distributions, etc.

Rode East this afternoon thru #7 and the Return. I spent a couple hours hand trimming out all the face slappers up thru ~1.5.

It was extremely dissappointing to see motorcycle trail tread damage from #7 down old Shields road bed to the Return and all the way past 14.5 and out to the road.

It was not there on Wednesday.

I tried, but could not track it back to a neighboring driveway off Hess Rd.

We really need to get the DNR on board to stop this kind of crap!

By the time I was done riding, it was almost 6pm other wise I would have driven over to talk to the DNR.

J.O. ... don't know if you have synced with Shawn yet, but I really think that step #1 is to get a real state park sign mounted again where the last one was destroyed.

The neighbors treat Holdridge like its an extension of their own back yard where they can do whatever they please.

I also think there are some folks that actually don't understand they are on state land (hard to believe... I know).

If you see motorcycles or ATVs on the trail, please call the DNR Hotline... 800-292-7800 ...so they can dispatch an officer.

-Andy.
andyf

Postby andyf » June 22nd, 2013, 10:26 am

SUBJECT: *HOLLY/HOLDRIDGE TRAIL DAY* Sat 6/29 10am-2pm

Description: Meet at the Holly/Holdridge trailhead for a Trail Day.

Participants should bring sturdy shoes, leather work gloves, eye protection, bug deterrent, and drinking water.

Trimming is priority #1. Without that, the trail does not stay open.

After trimming is under control, improvements will be addressed.

Holdridge trail maintenance is 100% dependent on volunteer efforts.

Take some time out to give back to the trails that you enjoy!

NOTE: Holdridge is now part of CRAMBA. Check out cramba.org Membership for details on joining!

Ron Arnott/Andy Fraser
Holdridge Trail Coordinators
Holly State Recreation Area
holdridge@cramba.org

CRAMBA - Clinton River Mountain Bike Association
A Chapter of IMBA - International Mountain Biking Association
andyf

Postby Critter7r » June 23rd, 2013, 2:01 pm

West is pretty clear. Might could use some trimming from about the bridge over the swamp (after the Tech Loop) to the end, but even that isn't too bad. Hess Rd entrance/exit, Meadows and the return to the trailhead were a little hairy. Orchard was almost completely overgrown a couple of weeks ago. The first 7 of Gruber's weren't awful as of last week. And I saw the evidence of that motorcycle on Meadow and the return today. Looks like they only did one or two laps. But they tore up the log pile pretty good at 13 (ish? maybe 14? There's only that one big log pile after the Orchard connection). That pile will need some repairs.

Looks like we'll need to add "No Motorized Vehicles" to our list of signs to put up. Maybe we could put them up facing the houses along Hess that built trails connecting to Gruber's.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby andyf » June 24th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I need someone to get the tools trailer from the DNR garage at Grange Hall / Dixie Hwy and pull to the trail head by 9:30am Sat for Trail Day start at 10am. Anyone with a truck who can help out? Let me know. -Andy.
andyf

Postby andyf » June 26th, 2013, 7:25 pm

J.O. has it covered.

andyf wrote:I need someone to get the tools trailer from the DNR garage at Grange Hall / Dixie Hwy and pull to the trail head by 9:30am Sat for Trail Day start at 10am. Anyone with a truck who can help out? Let me know. -Andy.
andyf

Postby Critter7r » June 27th, 2013, 7:05 am

I'll be there.

is food taken care of? Should I bring a pack of hot dogs and some chips? I'd rather not buy a bag of charcoal to start the grill, since I don't have any other need for charcoal.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » June 27th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Critter7r wrote:I'll be there.

is food taken care of? Should I bring a pack of hot dogs and some chips? I'd rather not buy a bag of charcoal to start the grill, since I don't have any other need for charcoal.

I do not have a need either, but will bring it anyway! There will be Dogs and chips as always.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby SAuge » June 29th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Hi Andy,

This is Scott. We met today on the "trail day." :D I haven't been out on one for a few years and it's good to know they still exist. (I do get the emails so those ARE important!) Nice to know this forum exists now too.

I have been reading about changes happening on the East loop. Root cutters and rock movers... that's bad news with soil erosion. :(

Sunday I am planning on going further down the trail we started (East) with my trimmer and weed wacker. Might as well be one stretch clear!

My sister also rode today and said there are two logs down on West "near the beginning." She says one is small. Could be left behind as an obstacle? The other she said is pretty big. So ya and Ron know.

I add Ron because I have been clearing stuff that has fallen on the trail and read he has been going out and there is nothing to find! Turtle loop was impassable and I saw kids going out, so I cleared it of fallen trees and trimmed it. It has been blocked since the winter when I go XC skiing out there.

I also went trimming and fallen tree clearing on the West loop (so the dude who was wondering if I was Ron, um, no). Cleared some trees that had fallen on the trail in the North loop (and cut back the grass).

So if Ron went out on reports of fallen trees, sorry, they might have been some I got. With this forum we now have better contact.

And I have worked directly with the DNR (as in paid as an employee) trail clearing in the Copper Harbor area (Fort Wilkins). Was pretty long ago, but rules don't change that much. :) So I do know the rules. IOW, mostly been trimming and taking out fallen trees on the trail - so no, I am not the "East loop bandit."

Later

S
SAuge

Postby Negaunee » June 30th, 2013, 2:03 pm

So I showed up today (Sunday) for Trail Day. It didn't take to long to realize that nobody and no trailer was there. Check the internet and sure enough, I'm an idiot and trail day was yesterday. Sorry I missed it. As penance I spent 3 hours hand trimming on the East Loop from the 9.5 mile marker backwards on the Meadow Loop. Hand trimming is a nightmare with all the wild rose that is everywhere, in addition to the rest of the foliage. I think I only did about a mile or so, but that mile looks nice :)

I was hoping to get to use a power trimmer from the trailer if I wasn't so scheduling handicapped. Is there any way I could get access to a power trimmer/hedger if I wanted to do some more trail trimming on a day off? It would be much more productive. I have a weed whacker but it wouldn't do the job needed for this type of growth. I might buy some type of power brush clearing device in the future but it's not in my budget right now. Hand trimming for hours doesn't seem to be very efficient for the limited time that I find to do trail trimming.

Patrick
Negaunee

Postby Negaunee » June 30th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Also regarding the East Loop: I have always had a love-hate relationship with this loop because of how difficult it was. I had always thought that that pendulum swung more to the hate side of the relationship. Then I rode it after that rogue trail modifier "fixed" some of the harder portions of it. It really bummed me out and made me a little mad when I accidentally took the new, easy path around some of these tough parts. I realized there was a whole lot more love than hate for the technical difficulties that is the East Loop, and why I consider it my home trail. I have been riding it for a few years and have spent a lot of time learning how to manage these features and really improved my riding skill because of them. They are there to learn and to conquer, not to build a path around. It wasn't always easy, and there were some crashes and injuries along the way, but this is a great trail. I understand the rogue was not being malicious but it really took away from the flavor of the trail.

After finishing some more trimming I would like to revert the bypasses to their previous state.
Negaunee

Postby andyf » June 30th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Negaunee wrote:After finishing some more trimming I would like to revert the bypasses to their previous state.

Since the guy who did the changes agreed to work with us, I don't think they all need to come out. If he had an uncooperative attitude, then I'd say they all need to come out. At this point, the priority is to get all trimming done and then deal with appropriate changes. I think we'll keep some and take some out. The overall approach is to keep the tight, twisty, technical nature of the Grinder while introducing some additional flow. There are lots of things to consider, the primary one is sustainability. Please don't make any further changes unless you contact one of the TC's (me or Ron) via PM or email to holdridge@cramba.org. Note: I need to check that email forwarder as I'm not sure it's currently forwarding email as it should.

Negaunee wrote:I was hoping to get to use a power trimmer from the trailer

I don't think we can loan out equipment. If you have a day in mind that you might want to do some work, let me know and maybe we can schedule some time to meet. I'm on vacation the next two weeks and plan to stay local.

For any trimming, the focus is ~3ft back from the center line of the trail. This is basically what you can reach while standing in the trail with a trimmer in hand. For the multi-floral rose, we have DNR permission to go after that by cutting at the base of the bush or if you see a smaller bush at the trail edge, reach down at ground level and you can easily pull it out by the roots. For the Autumn Olive (bush/small tree) where you see the nice inch or so long thorns, we also have permission to cut at the base of the tree. On Meadows #7-9.5 and Orchard #10-13.5 I want to make sure that we do not cut any good growth overhead that can help to provide shade and limit growth on the ground. We are starting to make some progress against the multi-floral rose growth, mostly thanks to Ron's hard work for the last couple years. Avoid or minimize cutting on anything good (i.e. new maple trees). Always be thinking ~3ft trimming right to the ground first, then get the vertical trimming after that. If you cut the vertical first, then it creates a pile to clear and prevents getting a good cut on the ground. Just some guidelines to keep in mind.

-Andy.
andyf

Postby andyf » June 30th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Many thanks to Jim, Josh, Chris, Scott, Dan, and special thanks to TC Pete from Stony Creek for helping out on trail day! We covered the remaining trimming on West and Lake loops as well as the worst overgrowth on East between #14 - 15. In this worst section, it took a crew of 4 about 4.5 hours to make 1 mile of trimming progress without the benefit of brush hog ground trimming.

Next priorities will be finishing the following on East...
1) From #7 following the Return to #14
2) #1-3 mostly heavy ground trimming.
* After completing these first two sections, East to #7 to Return to End will be in fairly good trimming shape *
3) #3-7 mostly only light trimming needed
4) #7-9.5 Meadows Loop and entry/exit from Hess Road
5) #10-13.5 Orchard Loop
andyf

Postby Jim O » June 30th, 2013, 10:18 pm

I echo Andy's praise. Thanks for all the help guys and thanks to Andy for his direction and priorities. We sure did miss Ron, however. Get well soon!!

BTW, there were a couple small trees down on the lake loop. Thought I would get them Monday or Tuesday evening. Would not take long. Other that that, the Lake loop is clear but a few washouts due to the recent rain.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby Critter7r » July 1st, 2013, 7:04 am

My shoulders are pretty sore still from swinging that hedgetrimmer around on Saturday. Good times, though. Thanks to Jim O. for bringing hot dogs and chips. There was a lot more work that needed to be done than we had the time and manpower to do in one day.I'm really bummed that we weren't able to rake the stuff we cut, due to what I assume is a huge number of thorns that we left in the trail. If nobody has, or is planning to do so, I'm planning on getting out there with a rake on Thursday after work. I hate to think that we did all that work to clear the trail so people can ride it, only to have the trail earn a reputation for causing lots of flats. (Plus, I don't want to get any when I go riding next weekend!)

So if anybody does any raking, let me know where, so I can avoid areas that were already raked.

P.S. Don't forget to log any time you spend working on the trail. There's a link to the log in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=108539
I'm pretty sure you don't have to count the trail-day hours, I think that those get logged by the TCs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby PK » July 1st, 2013, 7:22 am

I have already logged my own hours for Saturday.

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments