CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby GeoffM » April 3rd, 2015, 2:18 pm

Rode the first two miles today before the rain scared me off. You guys aren't kidding. Minus the greenery, it's exactly like summer.
GeoffM

Postby black2003ss » April 3rd, 2015, 5:51 pm

I'm sure North is a mud pit, any Intel on West?
black2003ss

Postby KRUG » April 27th, 2015, 4:35 pm

KRUG wrote:Rode Gruber's up to the orchard loop and took the out. Tree across the trail on the straight away between the start and finish ends of the Orchard loop. It's hip high and will need a chainsaw.

The tree was actually between the start and finish of the meadows loop. I miss typed orchards loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby r21954 » May 3rd, 2015, 10:46 am

Rode all of Holdridge and it was perfect except for someone once again altering the east about 3.8 miles in. If we have to use a trail cam to stop them it wont be pretty. They stuck logs in the trail on a blind down hill drop. Was dangerous.
r21954

Postby turbotoad » May 3rd, 2015, 12:54 pm

Noticed on Friday evening that someone had stacked some "sticks" in front of the big root on the "wall" climb. I realize they think they were helping, but someone before me had spun out on them an strewn them across the trail in front of the root. Now not only was there the root to clear, but some branches hindering the maneuver :evil: Please stop making half-azzed attempts to "fix" a perceived issue which only makes the situation worse :roll:
turbotoad

Postby r21954 » May 7th, 2015, 5:33 pm

East was awesome this afternoon.
r21954

Postby turbotoad » May 25th, 2015, 12:58 pm

GeoffM
If the tipped over "feature" your talking about is the one I think it is, it is actually not an "approved" feature. It was something somebody kept propping up on an EXISTING rock/log feature. Thus creating an un-approved/bandit feature and blocking and old existing one. I have moved it several times (as approved by Ron) only to find it back up on my next ride. But the last few times I've ridden it has remained turned over on the side of the trail. It really needs to be "disposed" of as I'm sure it will be put back up by someone. The problem is it is too big and heavy for one person to move it any meaningful distance alone. It would make a great piece for an "approved" feature somewhere else, so I would hate to resort to cutting it up with a chainsaw in order to discourage the "bandit" feature.
turbotoad

Postby turbotoad » June 2nd, 2015, 5:34 pm

Got lucky........squeezed a ride in after work today. The Root ball section is much smoother than before, but is still an abrupt change of flow compared to the original line. Oh well, it slows you down a bit but also makes you work your bike through that section a little harder :)

Pretty big low leaner just as you come to the Lake on the Lake Loop. I made it under but my Camelback was almost ripped off my back :shock: ....and I'm only 5'7" on a "small" framed bike! Some minor face slappers where I didn't get to yesterday and the whole trail is getting closed in with undergrowth.......DR Trimmer ready! Just a few very minor sludge holes in the usual hard to dry spots.

North was fairly grown in too. With a major tree top blocking nearly the entire trail. Not exactly sure the mile marker, but somewhere just before were the white gravel was recently added. There is a "hole" to get through it, but it needs to be cut back.

Unfortunately my band has a gig on the 13th at 1pm in Commerce Twp. so I will not be able to make the trail day :(
turbotoad

Postby Jim O » June 2nd, 2015, 9:45 pm

Got tied up at work and could not get there Monday. I will attempt to look at the Lake Loop and North trail tomorrow P.M. Thanks for the help. I do share your concern on the root and erosion. Need to give this some thought. Maybe Ron has an idea.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby turbotoad » July 3rd, 2015, 5:37 pm

Rode West/Tech/Lake/North. Trails in excellent shape but man was there a lot of "debris" strewn throughout the trails. Stopped at the base of the "wall" and blocked off the re-route with some nearby large branches. I always thought the rule of thumb was that a trail should be routed on the "high-side" of a tree/root system when possible. This re-route is on the "low-side" and could eventually cause more erosion issues than the current route (correct me if I'm wrong). So I will continue to block it off unless Ron approves of the bandit route as the new way to go.

That unapproved/make-shift log feature on the Tech-Loop was once again erected on top of the existing rock feature. I rolled the log over but it will eventually be put up again :twisted: I'm afraid it will have to be destroyed to the point that it is useless in order to prevent the continued unauthorized placement. Or..........Ron, what if it were moved about 100 yards down the trail to were the trail does that really tight "?" shaped direction change. Where you need to almost to a stop to go around some large rocks in the center. Maybe it could placed there as an alternate technical route (people use to cut through there anyway before the rocks were put there). IDK if it would even work there, just an idea.
turbotoad

Postby santaclausersolo » July 29th, 2015, 3:04 pm

So, what's the verdict on the re-route that keeps re-appearing on the bottom of the wall climb?

Also, I noticed that people are starting to clear rocks out of the second half of the "rock garden" next to the old skinny that fell into disrepair just before the "rock pile jump" on the west loop near I believe the 2 or 2.5 mile mark (just after the big tree that fell "over" the trail)

It may seem petty to complain about, but these small technical sections/features are what gives holdridge it's charm and makes it such a fun loop.
santaclausersolo

Postby r21954 » August 21st, 2015, 4:16 pm

Removed the trees from the Meadows and orchard
Don't forget trail date Saturday August 22nd 9:30 a.m. trailhead
r21954

Postby santaclausersolo » February 9th, 2016, 7:14 pm

North, West and Tech all clear except for the waist high bugger about a mile into west. Will at least need a hand saw or two people to move.
santaclausersolo

Postby honkonbobo » February 21st, 2016, 7:42 pm

still a half dozen or more large down trees but East Loop dry and good to ride.
honkonbobo

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions