CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby Critter7r » August 23rd, 2014, 10:13 pm

Found a pair of Locs sunglasses near the end of West. Was about 8 pm and they were right in the trail tread, so they must've been recently dropped. I hung them on the map board in the parking lot as I doubt I'll ride Holdridge again for 2 weeks. Will post in Lost-n-Found too.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » August 27th, 2014, 8:22 am

Critter7r wrote:I've always thought that bending the trail a little so that one has a straighter line onto the bridge would be a good idea.

Maybe we could look into that, or shifting the bridge over a few feet on the one end?
turbotoad

Postby r21954 » August 27th, 2014, 10:42 am

Putting a caution sign up would be easier but go ahead keep changing the trail to suit your riding style instead of learning to ride the course as its set up. Every trail I ride there are places I have to lock the brakes up unexpectedly when going fast in order to make a turn or jog in order to miss a tree or drop off or what ever.
r21954

Postby c0nsumer » August 27th, 2014, 10:48 am

r21954 wrote:Putting a caution sign up would be easier but go ahead keep changing the trail to suit your riding style instead of learning to ride the course as its set up. Every trail I ride there are places I have to lock the brakes up unexpectedly when going fast in order to make a turn or jog in order to miss a tree or drop off or what ever.

There's a big difference between changing a trail to "suit your riding style" and considering that a section could be revised to be better. All of us who build trails know that things aren't ideal the moment they get built, and thus sometimes changes are required. Feedback should be used to determine what to review, and then a decision made.

I personally think that abrupt transitions in trail design are poor. I feel trails should be tight and consistent, or fast and flowy and consistent, with nice transitions between the two. Mixing the two up, in my opinion, makes for less than optimal riding. I'm quite vocal about this with regards to other trails, have done everything possible to avoid it at River Bends, and think that all of us as Trail Coordinators should seek to avoid it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby lawn dart » August 28th, 2014, 11:41 am

North, Meadows, West, & Tech were clear and dry last night. Some spots were greasy, and others were sandy-loose, so it was about as good as can be expected.
Lots of little crumbies on Meadows, but that may be because it doesn't seem to have been ridden much.

r21954 wrote:...changing the trail to suit your riding style instead of learning to ride the course as its set up...

Speaking of that, it appears that West has seen quite a bit of "massaging". It has been a while since we had ridden it, and it was much faster than before, thanks to many areas being filled, smoothed, opened-up, and straightened-out.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the faster pace and flow, but it seems that changes are being made that may not be "authorized".

EDIT: The bridge entrance seemed okay last night, but the soil right at the lead-in had the consistency of taffy. It wasn't greasy, just the opposite; your front wheel would stick in the goo, knocking you forward on the bike, leaving you doing corrections while on the bridge. Not a big deal, but we all noticed it.

Saw SAuge and his sister(?) in the parking area. It's fun seeing these new connections and feeling like one of the regulars out there. :mrgreen:
lawn dart

Postby bax » September 1st, 2014, 7:58 pm

Big thanks to the guys who have been working hard on this trail all year. Today seemed like the first time for me in awhile that you could ride the whole trail and actually see the trail ahead without overgrowth, really changes the flow of the trail - way cool. 8)
bax

Postby lawn dart » September 2nd, 2014, 11:23 am

bax wrote:Big thanks to the guys who have been working hard on this trail all year. Today seemed like the first time for me in awhile that you could ride the whole trail and actually see the trail ahead without overgrowth, really changes the flow of the trail - way cool. 8)

We were talking to a rider at River Bends yesterday, and asked if he has been to Holdridge. He said yes, but avoids it during these months of the year because it gets so overgrown.
We were happy to tell him that TC Ron was taking excellent care of the trail system, and overgrowth was not the same as years past. Made us proud!
lawn dart

Postby Jim O » September 4th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Rode all of East today. No major issues. Just some face slappers and some branches easily moved by hand. Probably half dozen. First 7 all dry. Meadows all dry, amazing based on the recent downpour. Orchard dry except the usual 11.5 and 12 mile. 13.5 to the end all dry as well. Feels good to finally do all East at one time. Have not had a good year.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby r21954 » September 6th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Rode all of the East. Is in great shape. Removed some limbs and dead broken logs hear and there. Cut a dead apple tree off the trail at 10.6. Was amazed at how well it stood up to the storms. The last sand hill before Hess road didn't fare so well.
r21954

Postby r21954 » September 20th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Im out clearing the affore mentioned trees, anyone leave their chain saw between 1 and 2 on the east.
r21954

Postby turbotoad » September 24th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Walked the West with a shovel, rake, and bow saw. Downed small tree at 2.25 is removed. Cleaned up the bridges (Lake Loop & postTech-Loop) by removing gooey dirt from the wooden surfaces. Also filled in the "mud-holes" at the entrance/exit of the long post Tech Loop bridge. Repaired many "drainage" features along the trail at various spots that had filled up with debrit and dirt (preventing drainage). The small "log jump" on the downhill after the "wall" was re-graded/filled as was the "between trees jump" on the Tech-Loop.

BTW; On the matt section of Lake Loop there is a spot that was a tight "technical" spot as the trail made a curve through some trees. It was very tight and required a bit of "english" to get through without hitting your bars on either tree. It has been getting sketchier as the small tree on the left has gradually leaned in closer over the years. But a big tree has come down (held up by the small tree) and bent that small tree (on left when riding) into the trail. You are now FORCED off of the matting to get through. I think both the smaller tree and the one that has fallen onto it should be removed. It will require some expertise with a chainsaw :P
turbotoad

Postby Critter7r » September 27th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Horse *beep* on Tech Loop, just past the turn-around for the new skinny and then again a little further on.

Other than that, it's in great shape. Although the dirt roads in the area are inexplicably wet still ... seeing as it hasn't rained in a week.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby turbotoad » January 22nd, 2015, 11:51 am

Thanks Chris. I just tired of the old black and white one that looks old (even if it is up to date) and crappy.
turbotoad

Postby lawn dart » March 3rd, 2015, 2:23 pm

turbotoad wrote:...It's hard to imagine much more trail packed into the East :shock:

Jim would like to add a bit more challenge to East. You know, something like an alligator hatchery and a piranha pit.
lawn dart

Postby Critter7r » April 3rd, 2015, 6:14 am

joemel08 wrote:I was out there Yesterday, last night before dark, and walked at little of it backwards the last 2 miles of the trail is in great shape, after the second mile backwards (after that little access trail to Hess Rd) the singletrack is under water, it is not impassible but there is very thick mud and 2-3 inches of standing water in a lot places. There were only one or two few deep bike tracks probably should avoid that area. I don't get out on that side much so my descriptions are not very good, sorry about that.

At two miles backwards from Thorny Dog, I'm going to guess you're talking about the area on the Meadow loop that is very near the pond is the part that's muddy / puddled. Last year that area was under a couple feet of water, so it being only thick mud and a couple inches of water in spots is a good sign.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions