CRAMBA: Holdridge

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Holdridge

Postby Jim O » May 15th, 2014, 11:13 am

SAuge wrote:Leaves really came out last night...

Kind of a good thing! The leaves hide all the devastation and downfall.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby stinkychamois » May 19th, 2014, 7:49 am

Last edited by stinkychamois on May 19th, 2014, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
stinkychamois

Postby Critter7r » May 31st, 2014, 1:20 pm

Ok well, North sucks giant monkey balls.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Ti_fighter » May 31st, 2014, 1:22 pm

SAuge wrote:Walked the dog around Meadows. Three trees down, several places the trail goes through a pond (who'd thunk) where to get around I needed to walk through scratchers. Lotta mud - recommend hiking only for now.

Rode Grubers Grinder last night. Trail is in good shape, dry and clear - lots of fall leaves and small branches on the trail but very ridable.

Except for the meadows. Trail there is flooded next to the lake (who knows how deep but I would guess at least a foot) you can't see where it finishes as the whole area is covered in standing water. I turned around and cut back across the Old Shields Rd.
2013 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29HT
2013 Motobecane FB4 Elite
2014 Specialized Crave SL
2015 Niner One9 RDO
Ti_fighter

Postby Critter7r » June 12th, 2014, 10:07 am

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that we clear the beaver dam if there was one, for the record. I was just curious if that might be the reason, or if maybe the outflow was choked off by fallen trees and brush .... but maybe that pond doesn't actually flow anywhere and the level only goes down as it evaporates and filters into the ground. It seems to me that most other lakes and rivers with somewhere to flow out have returned to pretty normal levels.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » June 16th, 2014, 7:51 am

Ron and I went in thru Hess at the 12.5 mark last week and went in reverse. Cleared everything until we came to the overflow pond. Ron thought we may be able to create a re-route there. Chris, is it now clear(in reverse) from the overflow pond to the cut off at Thorny dog? I can tell you it is still impassable fron the 12.5 forward! There are at lease two LARGE trees down that will take some work.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby black2003ss » June 28th, 2014, 4:11 pm

There is a ~14-16" tree down between the bench on top of the wall climb (West Loop) and the little old log across the trail (been there for ever), requires a dismount and will need chain saw.

There is also a nasty head hunter on the lake loop that I nailed my head on, didn't see it. It's on the long board walk armoring section. Most will have to lay on the handle bars as you go under it and it comes up on you quickly.

All the hard work you guys put in on the trail are definitely showing, filling in some of the mud holes (some still persist and nothing can be done about them) and working/clearing some areas well (not a lot of face slappers!). The work was evident to me.
black2003ss

Postby honkonbobo » July 7th, 2014, 6:51 am

Jim O wrote:
saladshooter30 wrote:2 trees down between 1 and 1 1/2 mile mark. THANK YOU to whomever removed the others in the past couple days! Great ride tonight.

West, North or East Loop's??

West
honkonbobo

Postby r21954 » July 17th, 2014, 11:27 am

Attempted to finish the ground trimming on Orchard loop but the second new DR line trimmer had some quality control issues that prevented me from finishing a section around 11.5. The only time I didnt have a back pack full of tools I needed them. SMH
r21954

Postby Critter7r » July 29th, 2014, 7:19 am

TheForemostSportsman wrote:Hi all,

We road the trails last week and they were in great condition! We got in 7miles of riding on the North, West, and Tech Loops. It is my favorite trail system in the area, and Thanks to everybody that helps to maintain them to keep them great! Already planning our next trip! I film all of my events and activities and here is the video of our ride!

P.S if the audio doesn't work try on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhLTnRUA ... fdCNWhvyqg

Thanks for watching! See you on the trails!

You should rotate your brake levers down so that they're more in-line with your forearms.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby lawn dart » August 2nd, 2014, 10:55 am

Jim O wrote:Snuck up on me too! What's up for tomorrow RON?

Argh! Snuck up on me too!

I wasted time at work when I could have been working on the trail?! :x
lawn dart

Postby EnRaz » August 4th, 2014, 7:40 am

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but I fear you got the wrong idea from my post. I wasn't trying to highlight any negative aspect of the trail. Rather, I was mentioning the debris as a reference to the fact that the trail seems to get very little traffic, yet is very well maintained. I had a blast, debris or not, and just wanted to highlighted the fantastic work that has gone into this trail!
~Nick

"It is a tragedy of the world that a man does not know what he does not know. And the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything."
EnRaz

Postby fiddlestix » August 7th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Hey folks, I don't have the tools for the job or I would have taken care of this myself. Today on the east loop right at the 14 mile mark, there was a giant tree down over the trail. Probably a foot and a half in diameter or more. Hopefully someone's itching to swing a chainsaw around for a bit. Otherwise the trail's looking great!
fiddlestix

Postby michmtb » August 8th, 2014, 9:18 am

I was thinking about heading out to the East loop later today. Anyone know how the trail conditions? I don't get out there very often and I don't know how it holds up to rain.

Thanks.
michmtb

Postby turbotoad » August 23rd, 2014, 6:14 pm

Did someome get the licence plate of that truck that ran over me? :lol:

I rode the entire East loop(s) this afternoon and hate to say it........man I'm feeling my age :P But the trail was in great shape other than a couple small muddy spots catching you by surprise on Orchards. Plus there seemed to be a lot more sandy/loose corners early on in Grubers than I remember. I guess the amount of rain & riders have washed out a lot of the hilly stuff. The drop-in into the Orchard Loop is really a white knuckle ride :o

Sorry Jim, I didn't get a chance to enjoy the now leanless corner on West. The thought had crossed my mind to continue on and ride the West, but my lower back was already SCREAMING when I hit the Orchard Loop turn-off earlier.

An item for the next trail day "bucket list" would be Orchard Loop. It had a lot of face slappers and tons of debri on the trail. A quick once over with the hedge trimmers and a rake (leaf blower?) would make it perfect.
turbotoad

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions