CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » February 17th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Indigenous wrote:The trail is in awesome shape for fat biking!

Well that settles the question of where I am going to ride after work today! Thanks for the report, Jay. I just got a set of new Snowshoe XL 4.8s and PLRA will be just the place to test them out.
KLydesdale

Postby S3aturnR » February 17th, 2015, 5:13 pm

i might have to head that way, too, for some riding. i was there a week or so ago and the conditions were... less than ideal. glad to hear it's ready to ride!

s3aturnr
S3aturnR

Postby Indigenous » February 17th, 2015, 8:59 pm

S3aturnR wrote:i might have to head that way, too, for some riding. i was there a week or so ago and the conditions were... less than ideal. glad to hear it's ready to ride!

s3aturnr

Where were you riding? I've been riding out there most of the winter and the conditions have been really good most of the time, including the last couple weeks.
Indigenous

Postby KLydesdale » February 18th, 2015, 8:53 am

Indigenous wrote:
S3aturnR wrote:i might have to head that way, too, for some riding. i was there a week or so ago and the conditions were... less than ideal. glad to hear it's ready to ride!

s3aturnr

Where were you riding? I've been riding out there most of the winter and the conditions have been really good most of the time, including the last couple weeks.

What parts of the trail have you been riding, Jay?

I parked at the RC fly field lot last night and the section of the trail in that area wasn't all that great. It was packed down mainly by foot traffic so the ridable path was very narrow and somewhat uneven. I really had to concentrate on staying centered on it because if I veered off just a bit, my wheels bogged down and washed out. It was slow going for me and I was just thinking about heading back to my car and driving over to a different trailhead when just past mile marker 6 I found what I was hoping for... Snowmobile Tracks! So I kept riding along them as they pretty much followed the MTB trail. Now THAT was some great fun. Just past the Orr road crossing though I decided to just double back to my car because it was getting pretty late. That section between mile 6 and the RC field road was even tougher for me on the way back because it's more uphill riding that way.
KLydesdale

Postby S3aturnR » February 19th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Indigenous wrote:Where were you riding? I've been riding out there most of the winter and the conditions have been really good most of the time, including the last couple weeks.

i started at gale rd and rode the actual mountain bike trail. at about 3 miles, the snowmobile tracks leave the bike trail and go off on the horse trail, then the hiking trail. i stayed with the bike trail the first time and had a really bad day as the trail goes from snowshoe tracks to boot tracks to deer tracks to rabbit tracks. all before the rc airplane field. i bailed there after literally carrying my bike for about a mile hoping it would get better.

same story on the 17th, except i followed the snowmobile tracks and got totally lost. ended up only riding about 5 miles on trails i'd never seen before...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR

Postby Indigenous » February 19th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Y'all need to ride the snowmobile trails...although I have rode most of the mountain bike trails and some are a little work, but most are rideable. But I haven't rode the section near the miniture air field, but I did ride the last portion of the mountain bike trail, backwards, and got off the trail about a mile before the miniture air field and got on snowmobile trails. The first part of the mountain bike trails are rideable to the Campground road, with a little tough section in the open field area.
Indigenous

Postby S3aturnR » February 22nd, 2015, 12:24 am

i'd like to thank KLydesdale for stopping and rendering assistance today out at PLRA. i was on the hiking portion of the trail after the snowmobile tracks veered off from the bike trail and, while climbing a decent sized hill, my chain literally exploded. not in half, but 2 separate pieces. one was about 10 links long. never seen that happen before.

anyway, i put it back together and bypassed the derailleur to save me from grenading it like i did a few years back, switching gears with a chain that was then too short. it was ok for a little while, but somehow i still got the derailleur tangled and broke the hangar. ended up pushing on uphills and coasting on downhills, retracing my route to get back to the parking lot. it was brutal.

he found me somewhere near 2 mile hill and we talked for a few while i took a piece of shoelace and tied what was left of my drivetrain to my seat stay. i ended up taking a short cut down a VERY steep hill and crashed twice going down it. the slow-motion crashes that can only happen in snow. twisted knee, tweaked back and shoulder and sprained wrist. the wrist happened while trying to right myself from laying on my back in several feet of powdered snow. pushed down and arm went thru and fingers caught on something and pushed them back at an unusual angle.

but, i made it. i'm glad that the bicycling community checks up on their fellow riders and offer help when they see someone broke down. so, KLydesdale, i hope you had a great ride today. hope to see you on the trail again sometime. hopefully, when i'm having better luck at this mountain biking thing... :D

s3aturnr
S3aturnR

Postby KLydesdale » February 22nd, 2015, 12:29 pm

S3aturnR wrote:
he found me somewhere near 2 mile hill and we talked for a few while i took a piece of shoelace and tied what was left of my drivetrain to my seat stay. i ended up taking a short cut down a VERY steep hill and crashed twice going down it. the slow-motion crashes that can only happen in snow. twisted knee, tweaked back and shoulder and sprained wrist. the wrist happened while trying to right myself from laying on my back in several feet of powdered snow. pushed down and arm went thru and fingers caught on something and pushed them back at an unusual angle.

but, i made it. i'm glad that the bicycling community checks up on their fellow riders and offer help when they see someone broke down. so, KLydesdale, i hope you had a great ride today. hope to see you on the trail again sometime. hopefully, when i'm having better luck at this mountain biking thing... :D

Ouch... did you try to ride down the steep side hill from the top of the Overlook? That thing's nasty to even walk down. Wish I could have been more help. I would have offered to ride to my vehicle and pick you up someplace but I was quite far away from it at that point.

My ride was pretty outstanding. After I left you, I encountered some of my good friends who were out snowshoeing right around at the Marker 5 MTB/equestrian crossing. The section of MTB loop between there and Campground road is much tougher riding than the rest of the south half because no snowmobiles have been on it. My friends took that section on their way back so hopefully four sets of snowshoes will have packed it down better for riding.
KLydesdale

Postby S3aturnR » February 22nd, 2015, 1:02 pm

KLydesdale wrote:Ouch... did you try to ride down the steep side hill from the top of the Overlook? That thing's nasty to even walk down. Wish I could have been more help. I would have offered to ride to my vehicle and pick you up someplace but I was quite far away from it at that point.

My ride was pretty outstanding. After I left you, I encountered some of my good friends who were out snowshoeing right around at the Marker 5 MTB/equestrian crossing. The section of MTB loop between there and Campground road is much tougher riding than the rest of the south half because no snowmobiles have been on it. My friends took that section on their way back so hopefully four sets of snowshoes will have packed it down better for riding.

yeah, i went around the fence and followed the snowmobile tracks down that killer slope. in the end, it probably saved me about a half mile of pushing (or at least, that's what i kept telling myself to make me feel better) but it pretty much turned me into a snowball in the process.

glad to hear you had a good ride. i hope to be back out there soon (as soon as i can get replacement parts, i guess). riding is very therapeutic for me. i'll have to suck it up and continue on the bike trail instead of following the tracks next time and see how that goes.

again, thanks!

s3aturnr
S3aturnR

Postby jreyst » February 25th, 2015, 1:11 pm

How's Pontiac Lake for a skinny today?
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby KLydesdale » February 25th, 2015, 2:43 pm

You be the judge if it's good for regular MTB tires. The trail is to the right in this photo.
KLydesdale

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments