CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby lawn dart » October 15th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Pontiac was all clear today (I skipped the first "hard" but rode the second). Nothing blocking the trail.

There is plenty of moisture in the soil, and there were many wet/slick/gooey spots on the trail, not to mention plenty of fallen leaves, but conversely there is some good traction available in the normally loose, sandy bits.
lawn dart

Postby lawn dart » October 17th, 2014, 10:37 pm

PLRA was all clear today, though there is some deadfall brush starting to encroach on the trail in various places.

The blanket of leaves makes the trail very interesting. There were no "good" lines, as they all looked the same. It seemed every downhill was like a Hail Mary pass; just pitch it out there and hope for the best. Good fun.

Only a few gooey spots, but that may change with tonight's rain.
lawn dart

Postby GeoffM » Yesterday, 7:27 am

Was all clear yesterday. It was slippery in the normal few spots. I'd estimate a total of 5 additional spots were damper than usual. I slipped a lot, but I was hauling ass and set a new best time for myself: 51:30!

Off topic: If you do decide to ride the horse trails to the west of Teggerdine, there is NO bridge over the river. I recommend trying to get speed and pulling your feet up as you coast through. If you try to pedal, your feet will get wet.
GeoffM

Postby c0nsumer » Yesterday, 7:53 am

GeoffM wrote:Was all clear yesterday. It was slippery in the normal few spots. I'd estimate a total of 5 additional spots were damper than usual. I slipped a lot, but I was hauling ass and set a new best time for myself: 51:30!

Off topic: If you do decide to ride the horse trails to the west of Teggerdine, there is NO bridge over the river. I recommend trying to get speed and pulling your feet up as you coast through. If you try to pedal, your feet will get wet.

You really shouldn't ride the equestrian trails, particularly at PLRA. There is a long history of user conflict at this park, and since equestrians and cyclists have their own trails we should respect each other's space and stay off of them.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby GeoffM » Yesterday, 8:23 am

c0nsumer wrote:
GeoffM wrote:Was all clear yesterday. It was slippery in the normal few spots. I'd estimate a total of 5 additional spots were damper than usual. I slipped a lot, but I was hauling ass and set a new best time for myself: 51:30!

You really shouldn't ride the equestrian trails, particularly at PLRA. There is a long history of user conflict at this park, and since equestrians and cyclists have their own trails we should respect each other's space and stay off of them.

I had thought it might be a sticky topic on here. The purpose for me riding them was exploratory: If I can personally map them with a quick way like on a bike, then I can hike them later and know the area. I didn't find what I was looking for though :( There's a parking lot just before the river on white lake road. I was hoping one of the trails would lead there.

I did encounter horses after the river when I was headed north. By the time they saw me and called out I was already off the path. They didn't seem upset and we exchanged pleasantries. I do understand your concerns. I've read newspaper articles about dirt bikes being offensive towards the horse people in the past. I wanted to make sure I wasn't that guy.

Overall, I don't intend on doing this for a while, if ever again. After the river the trail got worse. There was one instance where my bike got stuck, because the pedals got stuck in the mud(Think bottom bracket was submerged). I was at speed, and the unintended consequences of still pedaling meant I literally jumped over my handlebars! After that, I noticed my bike getting dirtier and dirtier. My rear derailleur kept getting louder as well. All told it took about an hour of cleaning to get my bike back to decent shape.
GeoffM

Postby compacted_graphite » Yesterday, 10:41 am

Please do not ride bicycles on the equestrian trails. As CRAMBA Trail Coordinator, you are undermining my assertion to the park supervisor and equestrian community that the only people who are riding bicycles are guests of the state park who are staying in the campground, and are unknowingly seeking a passage from the campground to the beach, and end up on a horse trail. The trails were separated many years ago and so far, I have not yet seen a horse on the bike trails since the split occurred. Horses need to stay off the bike trails and bikes need to stay off the horse trails.
compacted_graphite

Postby johnboy » Yesterday, 3:35 pm

Tonight at 8pm there's a big group night ride. Roll at 8
johnboy

Postby SteamDriven » Yesterday, 4:45 pm

Is there somewhere these rides are posted? I would like to join the group but too late for tonight.
The guy with the black Crave and weird accent... Usually found at the back!
SteamDriven

Postby GeoffM » Yesterday, 5:35 pm

SteamDriven wrote:Is there somewhere these rides are posted? I would like to join the group but too late for tonight.

x2 on this. I would've joined if I hadn't just finished my first beer.
GeoffM

Postby johnboy » Yesterday, 6:00 pm

GeoffM wrote:
SteamDriven wrote:Is there somewhere these rides are posted? I would like to join the group but too late for tonight.

it's on the Cycletherapy Facebook page. they have been going for the past 3 Thursday's. I figured I throw it out here too for tonight
johnboy

Postby KLydesdale » Yesterday, 7:24 pm

johnboy wrote:
GeoffM wrote:

it's on the Cycletherapy Facebook page. they have been going for the past 3 Thursday's. I figured I throw it out here too for tonight

Why not post it in the Ride Announcement section under its own topic?
KLydesdale

Postby johnboy » Yesterday, 8:52 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
GeoffM wrote:

I didn't know there was one..
johnboy

Postby KLydesdale » Yesterday, 9:46 pm

johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
GeoffM wrote:

I didn't know there was one..

You should.. I mean, you've actually posted in it before regarding rides @ PLRA. :wink:
KLydesdale

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments