CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby smartblast.org » April 29th, 2015, 9:50 am

The horses entered at Cross road and and continued for several miles past several bike signs including the start of the trail. They obviously do not care. Take a picture and give it to the DNR. I will be calling them today (248) 666-1020 to voice my displeasure and ask them to send some horse people out there to clean up there mess:)
smartblast.org

Postby Critter7r » April 29th, 2015, 9:53 am

Ramborage wrote:Yup witnessed this on the downhill section before the last climb yesterday. Two people riding horses as I sped past them they told me to slow down. So yeah they're on our trails.

If they yelled at you to slow down, I'd guess they assumed that the trails are multi-use and didn't know that there are segregated trails. If they knew they were poaching bike trails, they likely wouldn't have said anything, and if they thought they were on a 'horses only' trail, they'd have likely told you that.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby GeoffM » May 8th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Rode it this morning before the rains. There's still horse poo at the base of the switchback hill. It's old and rotting now, so make sure you avoid it. Other than that the trail is perfect.

I actually saw some horse at the Maceday Lake road crossing in the middle of the park. That was a first.
GeoffM

Postby brokenbones » May 8th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Fresh steaming piles of horse *beep* in the first couple miles today. Weren't there on my first lap, were on my second, around 1:30. Never saw the horses or riders, in spite of my picking up the pace, hoping to catch them.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby vette-ss » May 9th, 2015, 6:52 am

I encountered some there last week too, at the bottom of the last re-routed hill climb before you dump back out onto the 2-track. But that may be the same hill that GeoffM is referring to. I'm not real sure how well I'd handle the situation if I was on a bike only trail and an equestrian rider told me to "slow down"....

Edit: clarifying that I saw *beep* , not actual horses
Last edited by vette-ss on May 9th, 2015, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
vette-ss

Postby c0nsumer » May 9th, 2015, 6:55 am

Stop, tell them that they are on a trail where horses aren't allowed, and if they give you any guff and don't try to remedy the situation immediately take pictures and call the DNR.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby vette-ss » May 9th, 2015, 7:18 am

c0nsumer wrote:Stop, tell them that they are on a trail where horses aren't allowed, and if they give you any guff and don't try to remedy the situation immediately take pictures and call the DNR.

If only I was this diplomatic in a confrontational situation.
vette-ss

Postby brokenbones » May 9th, 2015, 7:38 am

I had no plans to be diplomatic. I probably set a new PR trying to catch them.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby GeoffM » May 11th, 2015, 4:08 pm

What do you guys think of the bridge that's a little after the airfield but before Orr road? I've noticed a lot of the boards are starting to break.

The reason I'm asking is I have some extra wood here, and it might be a fit for that bridge, or it might not. We just tore down a treehouse and a lot of the interior boards are in good condition. I also have a lot of boards that are still built into the walls. Think 2x4s and 2x6s. Since they're built into the walls, I was just going to burn it all, since removing them is a bit of effort.

...But, if the consensus here is that bridge is in need of some help, I'll hold off on burning and get a hold of the TC.
GeoffM

Postby oldkhs » May 17th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Trail almost all good. Pretty slick after the chute.
Bad: major tree mess at the campground road crossing.
Good: literally 25 ft from road, so could park right there and cut up w/o hiking far w chainsaw.
oldkhs

Postby madmike23 » May 19th, 2015, 6:41 am

Rode Pontiac Lake yesterday late afternoon and the trail was in great shape. Just a couple greasy spots. The corkscrew and the climb after were slippery and just a bit muddy (not bad).
madmike23

Postby ihateplaindave » May 19th, 2015, 9:48 am

They had some kind of Senior Skip Day at Pontiac yesterday. INSANE. Cars flying thru the parking lot. Drunk, high kids (90% guys). The beach and parking lot were completely trashed after the ride. Thankfully, they didn't go near the MTB trail.
ihateplaindave

Postby brokenbones » May 19th, 2015, 3:48 pm

There was one there a couple of Fridays ago, with the same kind of shenanigans. The park staff were on hand, and trying to keep the kids in line. At least it didn't turn out as bad as the one at Stony the same day.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby GeoffM » May 19th, 2015, 11:49 pm

On Monday afternoon it was kind of greasy. Ordinarily wouldn't mind, but it really highlighted the BRAND NEW horse tracks.

I saw them from cross road to the top the the switchbacks/newly re routed trail from the last trail day. I think they're entering at cross road, going all the way to the top of the switchbacks, and using the cutover to get to the horse trails from there.

Didn't set any PRs trying to catch them, but I did spend quite a lot of time enjoying the thoughts of what I would do if I did. I also again encountered some horses at the leftmost horse crossing on the road that runs through the park.
GeoffM

Postby tm314 » Yesterday, 4:27 pm

Trail is still in great shape except for some real sandy corners. I took a spill around the 3.5 mile mark after the downhill and right hand corner going over some roots. Didn't expect it to be sandy so took it on full speed and front end washed out.
tm314

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments