CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2015, 11:50 am

johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
CannondaleMike wrote:Are 4 wheelers allowed on the actual bike trail?

Motorized wheeled vehicles (except for those used by the DNR, special events, etc) aren't allowed anywhere in the rec area.

ya need to go to the DNR PLRA web page and re research your information. it clearly states that snowmobiling is permitted without restrictions anywhere in the park with more than 4" of snow on the ground

You need to research the difference between a wheeled vehicle and a snowmobile.
KLydesdale

CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby johnboy » January 29th, 2015, 12:18 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:

Motorized wheeled vehicles (except for those used by the DNR, special events, etc) aren't allowed anywhere in the rec area.

ya need to go to the DNR PLRA web page and re research your information. it clearly states that snowmobiling is permitted without restrictions anywhere in the park with more than 4" of snow on the ground

oh that's right it's got a track with wheels inside of it. it's an obvious that it's more of an anything goes with 4" of snow but keep yourself in check kinda rule. the fast tear it up 4 wheelers can't go all that well in 4"+ snow. and the 4x4 ones are not anymore reckless than snowmobiles
johnboy

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2015, 2:22 pm

johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:

oh that's right it's got a track with wheels inside of it. it's an obvious that it's more of an anything goes with 4" of snow but keep yourself in check kinda rule. the fast tear it up 4 wheelers can't go all that well in 4"+ snow. and the 4x4 ones are not anymore reckless than snowmobiles

Huh?

Sorry, I don't know what you're really saying above but it's pretty obvious that MI DNR snowmobile rules apply specifically to vehicles defined as snowmobiles. And 4 wheelers are not in that definition so the 4" or more of snow rule does not apply to them by any means. State land use rules specifically say wheeled motor vehicles are NOT allowed anywhere but on designated trail and areas and PLRA has none of those.
KLydesdale

Postby Spinwheel » January 29th, 2015, 2:57 pm

johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:

..... and the 4x4 ones are not anymore reckless than snowmobiles

4x4s are definitely more reckless and destructive than snowmobiles, from my experience. They can turn a much tighter radius and have worn out their welcome on the trails I help maintain due to the destructive nature of their operators.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby johnboy » January 29th, 2015, 3:01 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
johnboy wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:

Huh?

Sorry, I don't know what you're really saying above but it's pretty obvious that MI DNR snowmobile rules apply specifically to vehicles defined as snowmobiles. And 4 wheelers are not in that definition so the 4" or more of snow rule does not apply to them by any means. State land use rules specifically say wheeled motor vehicles are NOT allowed anywhere but on designated trail and areas and PLRA has none of those.

that's funny, any winter I've ridden my 4 wheeler there the DNR guys wave hi or a head nod as we pass.

technically speaking, sure.. no go on the 4 wheelers in the rules. and that would apply to golf carts in my neighborhood, or snowmobiles crossing from lake to lake, not too many cops, dnr or anyone else makes a big deal about em like you are.

big f'n deal! move on!
johnboy

Postby jreyst » January 29th, 2015, 5:13 pm

If the rules are no wheeled vehicles that means no wheeled vehicles no matter how pleasant the DNR guys have been in the past. I know from personal experience the 4-wheelers tend to tear up the trails where I ride so I'm glad that rule exists.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby jumbo » January 29th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Can this thread return to discussing PL trail conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Stumpjumper Expert 29er
2014 Fat Boy
2012 Crux Comp Disc
2011 Epic Comp 29er
2009 Stumpjumper SS 29er
jumbo

Postby johnboy » January 29th, 2015, 6:46 pm

jumbo wrote:Can this thread return to discussing PL trail conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took a spin out there Wednesday just before dark. trail was nice and fast, packed down with very little ice. even with today's snow/ice I'm sure it's still doable on a set of skinny's
johnboy

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2015, 6:55 pm

jumbo wrote:Can this thread return to discussing PL trail conditions?

Sure.. Go ahead.
Last edited by KLydesdale on January 29th, 2015, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » January 29th, 2015, 7:03 pm

johnboy wrote:technically speaking, sure.. no go on the 4 wheelers in the rules. and that would apply to golf carts in my neighborhood, or snowmobiles crossing from lake to lake, not too many cops, dnr or anyone else makes a big deal about em like you are.

big f'n deal! move on!

Whatever dude... You should have moved on instead of making a big deal about doing research and snowmobile rules.

I simply answered a question using what I learned about the rules from a couple of DNR folks I've worked with over the years. If the present management and crew out there are looking the other way on the rules... Great! I guess means that when there's 4 or more inches of snow on the ground, we MTBers can ride any trail we want.
KLydesdale

Postby Roy » Yesterday, 7:54 am

This is the slow boring season and when I read this thread and got to thinking:
What about a fatty tandem with a trained monkey on the back?
Would the DNR look the other way or evoke the endangered money act?

Roy
Roy

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments