CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby c0nsumer » April 21st, 2015, 11:50 am

Critter7r wrote:
Steve_Balogh wrote:I also rode late Sat afternoon. Nice job on the water passages, I noticed those immediately so I thought someone did some work recently. As far as the rock garden goes, I haven't ridden PlRA since last fall, but recall the rock garden was looking mighty thin. Rode right through it like pavement, seemed a lot of rocks were missing from being knocked out of place over time. Someone else posted elsewhere about burying rocks so rain will eventually wash out a little leaving support, but honestly I can't say what was done made that section less challenging as the rock level diminished last fall. Would be fun to see it fully restored like it was back when it was created.

I remember the huge pucker-effect that rock garden used to have many years ago. It was like rolling onto a bed of croquet balls at high speed in a corner. Now it's just bumpy.

Are you all talking about that lumpy section / rock garden that turns left and climbs slightly, just after a sweeping right turn? (The sweeping right turn has a tiny hiker trail off of it that leads to a somewhat-overlook area?)

If so, that spot just sucked last year. It was brake bumpy as crap before it from people slamming on the brakes before hitting the rocks, then the rocks themselves were just chattery.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby KLydesdale » April 21st, 2015, 11:58 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:I also rode late Sat afternoon. Nice job on the water passages, I noticed those immediately so I thought someone did some work recently. As far as the rock garden goes, I haven't ridden PlRA since last fall, but recall the rock garden was looking mighty thin. Rode right through it like pavement, seemed a lot of rocks were missing from being knocked out of place over time. Someone else posted elsewhere about burying rocks so rain will eventually wash out a little leaving support, but honestly I can't say what was done made that section less challenging as the rock level diminished last fall. Would be fun to see it fully restored like it was back when it was created.

That rock garden looked pretty healthily bumpy to me the several times I rode PLRA this spring prior to Saturday. When I rode on Sunday and saw that it was completely covered in fresh soil, I figured they just did the "re-grouting" thing and spring rain will take care of exposing the rocks like it tends to do.
Last edited by KLydesdale on April 21st, 2015, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLydesdale

Postby ihateplaindave » April 21st, 2015, 1:35 pm

"spring rains will take care of exposing the rocks like it tends to do."

+1
ihateplaindave

Postby Critter7r » April 22nd, 2015, 8:43 am

A long time ago, there wasn't any "grouting" going on at that rock garden. Just a bunch of loose, hand-sized rocks.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby GeoffM » April 25th, 2015, 10:08 am

I rode through there yesterday super excited to see the new routes. I didn't see any, and realized I've been doing that section wrong the entire time. At the top of the hill I always just went straight instead of turning and continuing up the hill. Oops.

Rest of the trail is fantastic shape. I did see that 3 mile rock garden is covered in sand. I think it'll wash away as the season progresses, because I always recall that area to be went.

Did they also add sand into the last big sand pit about a half mile before Maceday lake road? I hit it coming down that hill and swerved quite a lot, to where I almost thought I'd lose control. I don't think I was going any faster than normal. Maybe they added it for the race tomorrow?
GeoffM

Postby black2003ss » Yesterday, 10:08 pm

The trail was in the best shape I have seen it in in years. It was fantastic! Myself and my fitness? Not so much.
black2003ss

Postby c0nsumer » Yesterday, 10:14 pm

GeoffM wrote:Did they also add sand into the last big sand pit about a half mile before Maceday lake road? I hit it coming down that hill and swerved quite a lot, to where I almost thought I'd lose control. I don't think I was going any faster than normal. Maybe they added it for the race tomorrow?

It's especially dry for this early in the year and lots of trails have become sandy. Probably nothing more than this.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments