CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby GeoffM » December 14th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Does anyone have good advice on how to remove those? I have a chainsaw, but it's overkill for those logs and I don't like the idea of trying to attach it to me (18 inch blade).

On the other hand, a hatchet is too small.

I'm asking because I'm going to try and do this again tomorrow before work, and I can clear them then.
GeoffM

Postby oldkhs » December 14th, 2014, 7:26 pm

Hike in and out. Park close. Although this is bad for the ones far from parking area.
I think a few guys have smaller chainsaws they can put in a pack.
oldkhs

Postby oldkhs » December 14th, 2014, 7:29 pm

The third one you could do that, maybe even park off the side of the road with 4-way flashers and run back and get it.
#1 would be easy if you had a key to the gate and drive up the two track.
#2 may also be accessible from the road independently. Not sure exactly where it is. There is cut off back to the road somewhere in that area I think. There is a great map online someone did. I used it to navigate to the big fall before the switchback hill a few months ago.
oldkhs

Postby c0nsumer » December 15th, 2014, 10:06 am

That's probably the map that I did. Be wary of using any power tools without talking to the TC first.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby oldkhs » December 15th, 2014, 10:06 am

True on both points.
oldkhs

Postby GeoffM » December 15th, 2014, 10:41 am

I'd recommend no one ride this trail for a while.

The fast portion just before the air field and the entire fast portion after it is very wet and rutting. The portion after it looks like there was a race through there. I tried riding on the grass portion on the sides, but it was so wet the grass tore and sunk into mush like the rest of the path.

The fast portion after the Maceday lake road parking lot is also very wet. Not rutting as bad, but I definitely saw some.

Most of the rest of the trail was ok. The normal wet spots were also leaving ruts. Pretty much any spot without leaves covering it is vulnerable.
GeoffM

Postby c0nsumer » December 15th, 2014, 11:03 am

GeoffM wrote:I'd recommend no one ride this trail for a while.

The fast portion just before the air field and the entire fast portion after it is very wet and rutting. The portion after it looks like there was a race through there. I tried riding on the grass portion on the sides, but it was so wet the grass tore and sunk into mush like the rest of the path.

The fast portion after the Maceday lake road parking lot is also very wet. Not rutting as bad, but I definitely saw some.

Most of the rest of the trail was ok. The normal wet spots were also leaving ruts. Pretty much any spot without leaves covering it is vulnerable.

This is why the organized mountain biking community and your local IMBA chapter (CRAMBA-IMBA) recommends not riding during the spring and fall freeze/thaw seasons. You really shouldn't be riding in these conditions.

http://www.cramba.org/2012/11/29/ride-d ... ud-trails/
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby GeoffM » December 15th, 2014, 11:09 am

Yeah I'm going to stick to sidewalks and rail to trails for the foreseeable future.
GeoffM

Postby KLydesdale » December 17th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Did a loop this afternoon. The trail was in great shape.... well except for the places tore up by the mudder rutters who just had to ride in wet, soft thaw conditions. Now the ruts are frozen in place.
KLydesdale

Postby b_b » December 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

KLydesdale wrote:Did a loop this afternoon. The trail was in great shape.... well except for the places tore up by the mudder rutters who just had to ride in wet, soft thaw conditions. Now the ruts are frozen in place.

What a surprise. Not! Never ceases to amaze how many folks would rather go mud bogging than ride temps below 32 on pristine FAST trails. Oh well...

b_b wrote:the worst part about riding soft conditions early winter is when deep tire ruts become frozen solid for many weeks. I've seen this at most trails including PLRA
b_b

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments