CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby 2niner » March 4th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Anyone been out recently?
2niner

Postby ASHCAN575 » March 5th, 2015, 5:41 am

Rode yesterday afternoon and the snowmobiles had been out,the trail was a bit soft lots of foot traffic.
ASHCAN575

Postby 2niner » March 5th, 2015, 9:53 am

ASHCAN575 wrote:Rode yesterday afternoon and the snowmobiles had been out,the trail was a bit soft lots of foot traffic.

Thanks. Headed there around noon. I'll report after.
2niner

Postby GeoffM » March 10th, 2015, 6:52 am

I hiked it on the 6th, and I was a bit disappointed in myself.

For various reasons I never rode it this year (mostly different flavors of fear), but while i was hiking it, I completely understand what you guys have all been talking about.

Very very hard packed, and it would've been just like riding it in the summer. Worst part, that was probably the last chance I would've had to ride it until the season actually starts.
The warm weather is going to make the snow super squishy, and then we'll have mud until it dries.

Oh well. All 50s this week so hopefully it won't be long now. I did my first ever clipless ride yesterday, so I'm excited to see how well it improves my trail times.
GeoffM

Postby GeoffM » March 15th, 2015, 4:25 pm

There were even a few spots I saw fat bike ruts. It's super wet out there.
GeoffM

Postby oldkhs » March 28th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Anyone been out recently? I'm considering riding the back half tomorrow am. Or maybe all...

I figure the overnight will freeze it well (including last night), just curious how much ice and snow is still there.
oldkhs

Postby GeoffM » March 29th, 2015, 7:53 am

oldkhs wrote:Anyone been out recently? I'm considering riding the back half tomorrow am. Or maybe all...

I figure the overnight will freeze it well (including last night), just curious how much ice and snow is still there.

On Wednesday I hiked about a mile next to the Maceday Lake road parking lot. No snow or ice. I was somewhat wet, but not necessarily pizza cutter. It might be worth a shot to go see now.

I'm expecting it to be good soon. Wednesday is mid 50s and sunny, while Thursday is almost 70 with a chance of rain. One or both of those days I'm going to give it a shot.
GeoffM

Postby jumbo » March 29th, 2015, 11:49 am

I did a loop of PL this morning on the fat bike. 85% of the trail is in great shape. A couple of percent is snow and ice covered. The remainder is soft and really shouldn't be ridden just yet, especially with skinny tires.

I tried to smooth out as many of the ruts as possible by riding over it with fat tires. Looks like a few others have also done that.

We are close, but not quite there yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Stumpjumper Expert 29er
2014 Fat Boy
2012 Crux Comp Disc
2011 Epic Comp 29er
2009 Stumpjumper SS 29er
jumbo

Postby oldkhs » March 29th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Agree w above.
I thought it would have been more frozen given the past two nights.
In a few spots surface seemed to be soft, but didn't really make ruts. The soft spots were mostly by the airfield and where we did the reroute last year after the airfield.
Bike needed a bath though.
Back to waiting.....
Overall though, looks like people have been doing good to stay off when not ready, as there a really no major bad areas.
oldkhs

Postby oldkhs » Yesterday, 7:45 am

Big tree down a bit before the two mile big climb. Chainsaw for sure.
Forget exactly where.

I saw a few others riding yesterday too, maybe they remember better.

Has anyone ever asked the folks who live on lynn drive (south side of rec area) for permission to access the trail through their yard?
oldkhs

Postby GeoffM » Yesterday, 10:18 am

oldkhs wrote:Has anyone ever asked the folks who live on lynn drive (south side of rec area) for permission to access the trail through their yard?

Once, when I was walking the entire course, I saw a suburban pulling a trailer driving through some well concealed trucks paths. They actually went out and were cutting trees that had fallen. I presume they were taking the wood back for firewood.

It was right around Lynn trail. So, they're either trail keepers living there, or someone else has asked them for permission.
GeoffM

Postby oldkhs » Yesterday, 1:06 pm

There is a big firewood stack just south of the trail before it makes the right turn by those houses.

I think it is not park property, there is a metal wire fence if you look closely I think.
This may be what you are talking about?

I don't think you can really see it once the foliage grows in.
oldkhs

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments