CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby jjmcwill » July 5th, 2014, 6:05 am

Right around mile 7, where you go down the tight switchback, there is an overhanging tree before the trail climbs a right-hand turn and rejoins the non-technical shortcut. I managed to smack my head on the tree because I was looking down instead of straight ahead. It's as much my own fault as anything, but could this one be removed?
jjmcwill

Postby gus » July 7th, 2014, 11:55 am

I was out for a ride on Saturday around 3PM. I know it was a holiday weekend but I'm starting to see the same thing more and more. I guess this past Saturday everything came together. First off I come up on a family consisting of mom dad and hopefully still two kids. None of them were wearing helmets and they were on bikes that looked like they could barely handle the parking lot. Me to dad, “It’s great you are getting outside with the family in all, but this can be a very dangerous trail and someone can easily get hurt if they are not fully prepared.” Dad responded by saying they may ride up a little more and then ride back the same way so they don’t get lost. I recommended that when he and his family turn back around to please walk their bikes and off to the side because they would be riding into oncoming unexpected traffic.
Thinking I should be in the clear for the rest of the ride, I pass a couple with helmets on beach cruisers looking very panicked and finally between check point 4 and 5 I nearly missed a head on collision with what appeared to be two young teenagers sneaking off to go make out.
I know not every place needs to be marked with warning signs or danger zones, but this seems to be happening more and more to me at Pontiac Lake. I just want the place to be safe for those that know what they are getting into and would hate to have any future access issues on such an amazing trail.
Finally before leaving the dad, I asked if he had a phone or knew how far into the trail he was in with his family if something were to happen. He replied by saying he left his phone back at camp and had no idea but thought they had been gone for about an hour.
gus

Postby Sortaslow » July 8th, 2014, 7:51 am

For about a week or two each year I start seeing this on various trails and then it stops. I do think it's people on vacation.

Trails tend to be self pruning. People start realizing they are on in their heads at a certain point. Sometimes it can be far into the trail though as as you state and they can make it dangerous for themselves and others when they backtrack out.
Sortaslow

Postby smartblast.org » July 15th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Trail conditions improved a lot today thanks to Dave, Richard and Craig. Five hours and four volunteers put a serious dent in the face slappers, tall weeds and thorny pickers waiting to tear at the skin. Cleaned as much off the trail as we could but everyone should notice a difference...at least for a week or so.
smartblast.org

Postby brokenbones » July 15th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Thanks guys. It was luxurious tonite.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby ihateplaindave » July 16th, 2014, 7:43 am

Thanx. The trail was starting to disappear.
ihateplaindave

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments