CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby mmba7349 » July 22nd, 2016, 8:03 pm

mtbdudex wrote:How are the horse flies at PLRA?

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

A couple weeks ago the flys were bad. But I was hiking. On a bike you may be able to stay ahead of them.
mmba7349

DANGER - Tree Down

Postby CannondaleMike » July 23rd, 2016, 10:33 am

Tree down prior to reaching the switchbacks, maybe within 1/8 mile or so? Not your normal tree across the trail. This one will inflict some damage. Be cautious.....
CannondaleMike

Postby MINiner » July 23rd, 2016, 8:38 pm

I can attest to the pain the down tree can inflict. I was so focused on the hole left by the roots that I missed the stout, sharp branch at head level. It's pointed back up the trail, so it's extremely dangerous. Luckily the only damage is a sore neck and dented helmet. A few inches lower and I could've lost an eye.
MINiner

Postby KLydesdale » July 24th, 2016, 9:09 am

MINiner wrote:I can attest to the pain the down tree can inflict. I was so focused on the hole left by the roots that I missed the stout, sharp branch at head level. It's pointed back up the trail, so it's extremely dangerous. Luckily the only damage is a sore neck and dented helmet. A few inches lower and I could've lost an eye.

Did you have paramedics come out to help you? I was at my buddy's place on Pontiac Lake watching the boat races and one of his neighbors who is a White Lake paramedic told us he went on a call Saturday morning to help a MTBer who had run into a downed tree.

It was a bad day for people and trees.... During the boat races, a tree from an island in the lake fell onto a pontoon full of people who were anchored nearby. Three people got hit by it, including a woman who was taken away by rescue boat and ambulance. It looked pretty serious.
KLydesdale

Postby jpspring » July 24th, 2016, 9:29 am

I think a rider either had a serious wreck or a heart attack last year during quake on the lake. Maybe 2 years ago. I have tomorrow off and I'll park at the rc airport & take some gear w me. Thinking that section may be a lot faster now for me at least now that i don't have to shim my 760mm bars through those trees.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jpspring

Postby smartblast.org » July 25th, 2016, 6:04 am

Took care of the downed tree and a couple of others yesterday.
smartblast.org

Postby jpspring » July 25th, 2016, 7:33 am

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jpspring

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments