CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby brookes » August 5th, 2011, 9:50 pm

The trail is in great shape. Watch out for horse poo from mile 6-7. I suspect the horses also damaged the bridge near mile 6.
brookes

Re: Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby amadkins » August 7th, 2011, 4:35 pm

brookes wrote:The trail is in great shape. Watch out for horse poo from mile 6-7. I suspect the horses also damaged the bridge near mile 6.

Lots of horse droppings and broken boards on the bridge prior to the chute. When did that section open up to the equestrians?
amadkins

Re: Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » August 7th, 2011, 7:24 pm

amadkins wrote:
brookes wrote:The trail is in great shape. Watch out for horse poo from mile 6-7. I suspect the horses also damaged the bridge near mile 6.

Lots of horse droppings and broken boards on the bridge prior to the chute. When did that section open up to the equestrians?

Who said it did?

Here's some contact information for the PLRA supervisor's office. Voice your displeasure. Make sure to mention that these horses were on a newer section of trail that was specifically created by the MMBA to be part of the official bike loop when the bike/horse trail separation was done several years back.

Floyd, Karris P & R Spv 2 248-666-1020 jefferyj@michigan.gov Supervisor Pontiac Lake RA
Jeffrey, Julie GOA E 248-666-1020 jefferyj@michigan.gov General Office Assistant Pontiac Lake RA
KLydesdale

Postby oldkhs » August 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Is there special permission required to post addional signage on the trail. For example, a few small signs indicating which direction the trail goes, and perhaps even "wrong way" signs as well. These would need to be placed at a few spots around the loop, to prevent people who simply don't know there is a "direction" to ride.

Additionally, it could be called out that these are bike trails, and horses are not permitted....

Someone has to know somebody who makes signs that can hooks us up with a deal. I'm in for a few bucks.
oldkhs

Postby kaysee » August 9th, 2011, 9:26 am

Yea I noticed all of this too. with the amount of *beep* on the trail, it is clear that this was not a one time/one horse thing.....I wrote some emails.
kaysee

Postby MediumRB » August 11th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Great condition today with no hazards to speak of. I caught a lot of air off the little jump around mile 9 (?) and laughed the rest of the way. Fast, packed pretty firm with just a little soft and loose in a couple corners to keep you awake. And the lake was beautiful as I watered up for the 7 mile ride home from there.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby wspfan » August 12th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Second the post above. Got a late evening ride in and the trail was in great condition and a big thanks to those that rid the trail of the horse *beep*.
wspfan

Postby compacted_graphite » August 13th, 2011, 9:25 am

Trail conditions for Saturday, August 13, 2011: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake is open with no obstructions. Trail is a bit loose and has its mid-summer rockiness. Some brush trimming has occured on the last mile and one-half (green guard rail at Maceday Lake Road to the last climb) and also in the pasture at roughly 3.5 mile mark. There are a few moist spots but no puddles. Rain is expected this weekend. Pontiac Lake does dry out fairly quickly. Probably the biggest obstacle right now is the occasional raspberry bush branch with prickers that jut out into the trail; otherwise, trail is in good shape. The skeeters are fierce. Bring bug dope in case you have a flat tire.
compacted_graphite

Postby cjn1014 » August 13th, 2011, 10:23 am

Lots of stable flies, too; they had no trouble keeping up with me in the downhills.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby AirGuitar29 » August 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm

To compacted_graphite (Dave) and anyone else who worked on the brush trimming:
Thank you for the brush trimming! I rode the trail Tuesday and it was fantastic.
Experienced Crasher
Niner SIR 9
AirGuitar29

Postby oldkhs » August 23rd, 2011, 7:38 am

Rode last night - 1st night ride of the year - a bit sad, this means the days are getting shorter...

Anyway, trail in good shape, a few wet spots left, almost are are avoidable. I got a bit of mud due to being slower to see it at night. Today should be great.
oldkhs

Postby smartblast.org » September 2nd, 2011, 11:44 am

Trail conditions were good this morning with the rut at the end of the very last downhill getting worse by the day.

Horses have been at a again with them being on two different sections of the trail. Must be doing it on the weekends. Also a dead fox in the middle of the trail just past the rc field. If a bike hit it, that will make for an interesting story to tell.
smartblast.org

Postby specialized rider » September 3rd, 2011, 1:01 am

OK a dead fox and horse crap, sounds good. :P
I want my Big Wheel back.
specialized rider

Postby oldkhs » September 4th, 2011, 10:03 am

Looks like we only got about .2 - .25" rain last night / this morning. If anyone rides early today, would be curious of the conditions, I may ride late afternoon / early evening.
oldkhs

Postby xycarp » September 4th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Trail was fine. Some wet spots but nothing of note. No down trees, no large puddles... It was firm and fast. No dust. I would definitely say, go ride.
xycarp

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions