CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby b_b » April 28th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Never heard of Ugga Bugga, but I'd recognize the others.
There's also the EASY cutoff at the CHUTE.
b_b

Postby plaindave » April 28th, 2014, 8:27 pm

For those of us who've been riding long enough Pontiac to have forgotten, the chute was called the toilet bowl.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby KLydesdale » April 29th, 2014, 8:57 am

In the group I ride with, the "local" names we use for sections of PLRA are more like:

The weird muddy spot where Thomas crashed and broke his collarbone.

That loose downhill where Richard went OTB and separated his shoulder.

The section with the big root on which Harold caught his pedal and did his great Superman impression.
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » April 29th, 2014, 8:58 am

KLydesdale wrote:In the group I ride with, the "local" names we use for sections of PLRA are more like:

The section with the big root on which Harold caught his pedal and did his great Superman impression.

So, what you're actually saying is that you want all of the roots removed from PLRA? ;)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Critter7r » April 29th, 2014, 3:37 pm

What about 'the rock garden after the rooty, sweeping righ-hander'? Not sure of the location, but it's distinctive.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » April 29th, 2014, 7:57 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:In the group I ride with, the "local" names we use for sections of PLRA are more like:

So, what you're actually saying is that you want all of the roots removed from PLRA? ;)

Or new buddies who don't wreck on them?
b_b

Postby KLydesdale » April 29th, 2014, 8:48 pm

c0nsumer wrote:

Au contraire! I try to aim for the roots as much as possible when I ride and dislike it when yahoos either remove them or create "panty lines" around them like they've done on the more challenging rooty little climbs out here.

*beep*, even Tom, *beep* and Harry don't want the trail dumbed down just because they happened to have a a little mishap.
KLydesdale

Postby Jim O » April 30th, 2014, 5:48 am

"Au contraire! I try to aim for the roots as much as possible when I ride and dislike it when yahoos either remove them or create "panty lines" around them like they've done on the more challenging rooty little climbs out here.

*beep*, even Tom, *beep* and Harry don't want the trail dumbed down just because they happened to have a a little mishap.[/quote]"

Keith,
That is good to hear! Hopefully the mishaps are used as experience and make them better riders.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby brokenbones » April 30th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Cluster of trees and vines blocking the trail 0.6 miles in - between the hiking trail crossing and the sandy 'S' curve. Probably a chainsaw job, but could be tackled by handsaw in a pinch. A few other minor branches and blowdowns after that. Didn't beat the rain, so had to bail at Maceday Rd. Can't speak to the condition of the rest of the trail.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 1st, 2014, 9:00 pm

conditions were pretty good Wed around 2. big down tree mentioned earlier after a downhill, it could surprise you a bit. I am not going to say trail conditions were perfect... water was not pooling in any substantial way, pizza cutters were minimal with no long stretches of wet trail. Wet spots could be avoided with a little hop here and there. Most of what made me or my bike muddy was water collecting in the chewed up leaf remains. No reason to hold off on a ride IMO.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 1st, 2014, 9:04 pm

There were a fair amount of cliff bar wrappers and trash out there, I know this is because the foliage hasn't grown in yet, but it's probably a good time to nab some of that. Also quite a lot of dead fall (vertically laying sticks/branches about 2" in diameter). nothing a little trail day won't clear up. Is there a plan or tentative date for one of those yet?
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby procos » May 1st, 2014, 9:47 pm

Rode it today and there is a big down tree that was mentioned earlier right at the start but it really caught me by surprise and had to nail the brakes and make a quick right turn to get around it. Trail was mostly dry with about 12 puddles throughout the ride. I was able to miss all the puddles and not cause any trail damage. Besides that trail was great. Not sure about the cliff bar wrappers I didn't see any but wasn't really looking at anything but the trail in front of me. Was going as fast as I could trying to break a sweat in the cold weather.
procos

Postby c0nsumer » May 1st, 2014, 9:56 pm

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:There were a fair amount of cliff bar wrappers and trash out there, I know this is because the foliage hasn't grown in yet, but it's probably a good time to nab some of that. Also quite a lot of dead fall (vertically laying sticks/branches about 2" in diameter). nothing a little trail day won't clear up. Is there a plan or tentative date for one of those yet?

http://cramba.org/calendar says May 3rd at 9am. :)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby compacted_graphite » May 3rd, 2014, 12:40 pm

Trail Conditions for Saturday, May 3, 2014: Trail maintenance work was conducted this morning. The tree previously reported as blocking the trail has been cleared up. Trash was picked up on various locations including the Pontiac Lake overlook. Drainage work was conducted on the first two miles of the trail and the last mile of trail. Trail is clear of any obstructions. Rain fell during trail work so trail surface is wet with some small water spots. Trail should dry nicely with next week's expected dry weather.
compacted_graphite

Postby jjmcwill » May 3rd, 2014, 2:09 pm

Jennifer and I hiked the trail counter-clockwise today with packs. We said "Hi" to the maintenance crew near the last hill when riding. We hiked the entire trail and picked up as much trash as we could, including 4 or 5 disposable water bottles, two sport water bottles, a beer can, a SOBE drink bottle, and a large pocket full of Clif bar and Gu wrappers.
jjmcwill

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments