CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby Bellock » July 6th, 2011, 8:46 pm

"A tree adjustment was made at mile 7 at the bottom of the corkscrew/gully section, where a head-level obstruction was removed at 11:30 this morning. Thanks to the two bikers who helped move the tree carcass off of the trail, and several others who offered help while sawing was still underway.

Thanks to all that removed this tree. Nice job.
Bellock

Postby RMXByker » July 7th, 2011, 6:58 am

Rode 2 laps last night. Trail was in great shape. Careful out there on some of downhill corners, theres some loose spots looking for the lazy rider. Overall it was a really good ride!
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby Reptar » July 8th, 2011, 10:42 am

There's a small tree down just after the rock garden. It's easily rideable.
Reptar

Postby redmosquito1 » July 8th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I keep seeing you guys name parts of the trail, like the rock garden or switchback hill. Being a rebourn newb to this trail is there a map out there that has all these things marked out on it?
redmosquito1

Postby black2003ss » July 9th, 2011, 10:54 am

The rock garden is pretty easy to define, it is the area where there is a short right turn down a slope into a small ravine type area filled hundreds of "baby skull" sized rocks for a few feet immediately followed by a short climb to the left out of it. Switch back hill, I would assume is what I used to call big puke hill at the end, right before you get dumped back out on the single track. It's the last big hill climb that used to have a straight shot up it, but now has several "Switch backs" to climb it and prevent erosion. Another term commonly used is the "chute" which is the downhill portion that has switch backs going back and forth a couple of times in a thing like a chute.

There used to a great pin map someone had with most of the features pointed out with good descriptions. I'm not sure what happened to it. Some guy hosted it on his personal website and I think when the new trailguide was created, it might have gotten lost.
black2003ss

Postby redmosquito1 » July 9th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Thanks, it'd be nice to get a hold of that map so if anyone has it can you email it to me or post it up?

The chute is the hard way at the first easy sign? I don't go that way, or haven't yet. Maybe later today if I ride out there. But I think I know where everything else is, thanks for the help.
redmosquito1

Postby chris f. » July 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm

chris f.

Postby black2003ss » July 9th, 2011, 8:55 pm

That's the map I was referring to. Awesome. Any way we could get that put on the Trail Guide?

FYI, that last "Y" near mile 9 is a bypass that is half way up the switch back hill everyone refers to. In my opinion, if you made it that far, you might as well finish the climb.
black2003ss

Postby redmosquito1 » July 10th, 2011, 1:07 am

Sweet, thank you chris f. I know all the parts now that you guys talk about.
redmosquito1

Postby compacted_graphite » July 12th, 2011, 11:41 am

Trail conditions for Tuesday, July 12, 2011: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake is unobstructed and in good shape. Yesterdays rain has firmed up some of the sandier sections. The tree down at mile 3 has been adjusted. The trail this morning had a couple of moist spots but otherwise dry with no puddles. The trail is a little brushy.
compacted_graphite

Postby AirGuitar29 » July 13th, 2011, 7:27 am

compacted_graphite wrote:Trail conditions for Tuesday, July 12, 2011: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake is unobstructed and in good shape. Yesterdays rain has firmed up some of the sandier sections. The tree down at mile 3 has been adjusted. The trail this morning had a couple of moist spots but otherwise dry with no puddles. The trail is a little brushy.

Thank you for all your hard work. I rode 1.5 laps last night (2x the north "loop") and the trail is in great shape. I, on the other hand, am unfortunately not in great shape.
Experienced Crasher
Niner SIR 9
AirGuitar29

Postby brokenbones » July 19th, 2011, 9:33 pm

2 Trees down tonight. No. 1 is a tangle of dead trees with some nasty spikey branches a couple hundred yards in after the Campground Road crossing - blocking the right hand sweeper in the pine trees. Not rideable - you must stop and climb over. No. 2 appears to be another part of that same oak tree that has blocked the right hand sweeper at mile 6.5 in the last couple of months. This one is rideable without too much drama.

Otherwise, the trail was fast and fun.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby ArcticRobot » July 28th, 2011, 3:54 pm

how is PLRA after recent rain?
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby brokenbones » July 28th, 2011, 6:40 pm

It's wet.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby oldkhs » July 29th, 2011, 9:54 am

brokenbones wrote:It's wet.

Unless it was a dry rain, you know like the dry heat they have out west....

I'm guessing we got 4-5" of rain in the past two nights, maybe more. I really need to invest in rain guage. I am about 1/2 mile from the trail.

Sandy areas drain really well, but the muddy areas no doubt have water. I am waiting until sunday, more due to schedule, to ride again.
oldkhs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions