CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby redmosquito1 » June 26th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Short? haha, it took me an hour +. Thanks for the suggestion by the way, but it's an amazing trail, my cyclemeter ap says I have 30 minutes of stop time and 36 min last night and 45 min tonight of riding time. I felt like I stopped less tonight but it said same time, I felt tonight that I rode a lot better and faster so I'm happy with that. Can only go one way from here and that's up. Still haven't done that hard area where there are a bunch of berms down hill, way way way to tired after climbing up to the top of that hill. My goal by end of this week is to be able to ride this segment with out stopping and attack that part of the trail.

Trail was better today for sure, only complaint was today on a downhill I was taking a little slow I had a guy come ripping past me and it was a little upsetting cause I almost fell, had he alerted me to his presence I would have jumped out of the way gladly. He might not have seen me in his defense but still, let me know you're there geez. and I found a bad tube laying on the ground, I took that with me and stuffed it in my camelbak.

Anyone know if there was a race or something today? Yesterday and tonight there was a bunch of pink flags marking off the trail and tailwinds signs strewn about.
redmosquito1

Postby oldkhs » June 27th, 2011, 6:27 am

I meant short ride to the trail from your place. I'm in the same boat. About 5 min driveway to trail.

The hard area you are talking about is easy compared to the uphill you can't see.... It's fun though, and an insanely great workout. 1000x better than running.

Yes, there was a race yesterday.
oldkhs

Postby egraetze » June 27th, 2011, 6:47 am

Question about trail use - Does anybody hike the trail? ILRA shows trail use for the blue and yellow to include hikers. The Pontiac Trail DNR site only indicates exclusive mountain biking use. Is hiking allowed? My reason for this is I am interested in hiking the trail in preparation for a backpacking trip. I also do intend on riding the trail in the future.
egraetze

Postby Critter7r » June 27th, 2011, 3:58 pm

You might also look into hiking at Highland Lake, there would likely be less traffic. And what traffic there was would generally be moving more slowly. When you do hike on moutainbiking trails, be sure to walk the opposite direction indicated for bike travel.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby risnewski » June 27th, 2011, 9:11 pm

I've hiked it. It's a nice walk. Right now, you'll want to be careful due to overgrowth. There's some blind corners so you'll be wanting to listen for I-Pod wearing fast bikers coming your way who may not be fully in control.
risnewski

Postby oldkhs » June 28th, 2011, 7:22 am

I would think hiking the back half would be more risky than the front half, especially before and after the RC airfield. That is a fast part with twists, turns, and tall, thick growth.
oldkhs

Postby egraetze » June 29th, 2011, 8:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I've hiked the walking trails at Highland, but never considered hiking the biking trails. I may try that. If Pontiac is overgrown, then I think I will avoid it for now. I know that even though the ILRA trails are mixed use, it can get dicey with hikers or runners going in the same direction as bikers. I've also had my fun while biking ILRA coming up on other bikers listening to thier IPOD. I don't get why anybody wears them when they know that they need to hear what is going on around them.

Eric
egraetze

Postby Bellock » June 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Caution: There is a tree down just past the CHUTE, (the steep down hill back forth, back forth section with the roots). It is on that lower flat section just before the off camber climb. This is 6 miles into the trail. It is about head high and about 6-8" in diameter. Please be careful until it is cleared. :shock:
Bellock

Postby redmosquito1 » June 29th, 2011, 9:30 pm

It was mentioned in the lap time thread that there is a new technical loop, wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of that?

Also, I'm going to attempt to do the whole trail friday during the day so wish me luck, I'll certainly need it.
redmosquito1

Postby Exodus » June 30th, 2011, 5:20 pm

Bellock wrote:Caution: There is a tree down just past the CHUTE, (the steep down hill back forth, back forth section with the roots). It is on that lower flat section just before the off camber climb. This is 6 miles into the trail. It is about head high and about 6-8" in diameter. Please be careful until it is cleared. :shock:

Yep! Suprise, there goes all your momentum and have fun on the upcoming climb.... hahah

redmosquito1 wrote:It was mentioned in the lap time thread that there is a new technical loop, wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of that?

Also, I'm going to attempt to do the whole trail friday during the day so wish me luck, I'll certainly need it.

Good luck! Mind over matter, just keep pushing it. I just started this year on a completely stock 05 Wahoo with v-brakes and just did two laps. It certainly wasnt easy, and I was by no means a speed deamon(57 min for the first and 59 min for the second lap) but just keep going :D
Exodus

Postby AirGuitar29 » July 1st, 2011, 7:23 am

redmosquito1 wrote:It was mentioned in the lap time thread that there is a new technical loop, wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of that?

To ride both of the technical loops, simply locate the signs in the trail forks that say "Easy," and ride in the opposite direction of the arrow. There are 2 of them. Have a fun ride!
Experienced Crasher
Niner SIR 9
AirGuitar29

Postby compacted_graphite » July 2nd, 2011, 11:45 am

Trail conditions for Pontiac Lake Recreation Area Mountain Bike Trails for Saturday, July 2, 2011: Trails are in good shape. Pontiac Lake in the summer gets a little loose and rocky, and that's exactly what they are like right now. There are no wet spots on the trail today. There are no obstructions in the trail system. A tree adjustment was made at mile 7 at the bottom of the corkscrew/gully section, where a head-level obstruction was removed at 11:30 this morning. Thanks to the two bikers who helped move the tree carcass off of the trail, and several others who offered help while sawing was still underway.

The other trail condition to report is that Pontiac Lake's MB trail, which is used also by hikers and runners, is a little overgrown right now. There is some Poison Ivy out there right now. For the most part, you can still ride and avoid contact with leafy vegetation.

The two technical sections are not new, but the signage is new. Like the previous entry pointed out, at the two junctions where a easy way is pointed out, simple go in the other direction for more challenge and fun factor.

Mosquitos are quite voracious (hungry) this summer - bring or wear bug repellant.
compacted_graphite

Postby redmosquito1 » July 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm

Did my first full ride of the trail today, and holy smokes is it harder than I thought. Trail was in great shape, made it through the south half and was dead. North half I was even deader. Thanks to the 2 guys that stopped and made sure I was ok and gave me some electrolyte pills and offered up some water. I really appreciate that. I did walk the majority of hills on the north half due to exhaustion and fear that I'd not be able to make it, although I did ride 90% of the hills on the south half so I'm happy about that, except the corkscrew ridiculously long hill about 3 miles in.
redmosquito1

Postby mxracer » July 3rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Went out this morning and the conditions were great other than my buddy handing my butt to me in his first ride there.....on a single speed...lol. I always struggle with that uphill off camber deal after the corkscrew and he went right up it.
mxracer

Postby b_b » July 4th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Yeah ss riders know how to carry momentum. That hill and the one after are all about hitting with enough steam to take you up most of the way. Had a great ride this morning there.
b_b

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions