CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby compacted_graphite » April 23rd, 2014, 11:26 am

Steve: yes, I know that there are two five mile sign posts. No, I don't know why there are two, and I don't know which one is correct. I suspect one of them might be from over ten years ago when we had an extra two miles overall trail length (before the separation of equestrian and bike trails). We had a stair way drop, and little and big puke hills before Campground Road, adding length and challenge to the earlier half of the trail. DB
compacted_graphite

Postby Cerget » April 23rd, 2014, 5:40 pm

It seems like a time trial as it is only 2 laps as the old XC race was 3 laps.
Cerget

Postby parasurfore » April 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm

Its a XC race. It was an XC race last year too and only 2 laps for expert and elite. They lowered the laps to match the UCI race lengths that races should be between 1 hr and 20 min to 1 hr. and 50 min roughly. Some of the other races were getting close to 2.5 hours for some average expert riders so they decided to bump it down
parasurfore

Postby thunderzy » April 26th, 2014, 6:18 am

Anyone ride this trail last night? I'm considering riding my fatty on it today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
thunderzy

Postby Sortaslow » April 26th, 2014, 8:17 am

Should be just fine. Go for it.
Sortaslow

Postby oldkhs » April 26th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Trail in great shape.
Two basketball sized wet spots.
Lotsa flags out for the race tomorrow.
oldkhs

Postby thunderzy » April 26th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Trail in great shape. Down tree is not an issue. Two small soft spots.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
thunderzy

Postby c0nsumer » April 26th, 2014, 9:39 pm

I hiked everything south of Maceday Road today and it's in impressively great shape. I trimmed a few things that were hanging, but mostly I was just doing a GPS survey. While walking I kept an eye out for trail maintenance items, but beyond a very little bit of deberming I saw very little that was needed. PLRA is in great shape.

I was able to walk under the falling/leaning tree, but I honestly don't remember how close it was to the top of my head, nor how low it was on the far side. I could see it maybe being a bit of a choke point during the race, but it'll probably be just fine. I'm surprised Tailwind didn't clear it out before the race, though.

(I was the guy with the tan hat and pack and grey/green shirt, walking opposite bike traffic, holding a phone/GPS likely munching on a slice of pizza, if we passed.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby stinkychamois » April 26th, 2014, 9:57 pm

Will they be closing the trail for the race tomorrow or will it remain open to the public? Was looking to get a lap in tomorrow morning at 8:30-9ish, I'm a 45 minute lapper out there, so I should be done long before anyone sets out on the race course at 10.

Thanks,
stinkychamois

Postby c0nsumer » April 26th, 2014, 10:03 pm

stinkychamois wrote:Will they be closing the trail for the race tomorrow or will it remain open to the public? Was looking to get a lap in tomorrow morning at 8:30-9ish, I'm a 45 minute lapper out there, so I should be done long before anyone sets out on the race course at 10.

Thanks,

I can't speak for this race specifically, but I've never seen a trail actually closed for a race. If I were you I'd just go ride, and enjoy it.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby oldkhs » April 26th, 2014, 11:16 pm

I accidentally rode during a race last year or the one before. Wasn't closed.as you state, you'll be ahead of them anyway. Enjoy the ride.
oldkhs

Postby stinkychamois » April 27th, 2014, 10:51 am

Trail was fantastic this morning.
stinkychamois

Postby c0nsumer » April 28th, 2014, 8:08 am

I'm in the midst of making a CRAMBA-IMBA map of PLRA, and as with other trails I am intending to call out some specific, notable trail features to help people locate themselves on the trail. Here's my current thoughts. Do any of you have others locally-named features that you'd like to submit for consideration? If so, please provide name, location (lat/long would be GREAT), etc.

- Two Mile Climb: Self-evident.
- Overlook: The rest area-like spot where the trail curves right, goes a bit wide, and has a nice place to stop overlooking Pontiac Lake.
- The Chute: The switchbacks just before the hard clay climb on the first 'hard' option.
- RC Airfield: Self-evident.

(If you're interested, you can see the data that I've gathered thus far here on the OpenStreetMap slippy map.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby compacted_graphite » April 28th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Steve,

In addition to the spots that you have already mentioned, which I assume you have lat/long coordinates for:

- Overlook: The rest area-like spot where the trail curves right, goes a bit wide, and has a nice place to stop overlooking Pontiac Lake.
- The Chute: The switchbacks just before the hard clay climb on the first 'hard' option.

Here are some additional spots:

- the Rock Garden: 42 degrees 40' 45.82"N. 83 degrees, 28' 26.13"W
- Ugga Bugga Land: the start of the high skinny ridge, which goes for 1/4 mile: 42 degrees, 41' 24.46"N, 83 degrees, 28' 15.13" W
- The chute is also known as the gully or the corkscrew
- The optional trail (right hand turn) is called "Extra Credit": 42 degrees, 41' 38.15"N, 83 degrees, 27' 04.20" W

DB
compacted_graphite

Postby c0nsumer » April 28th, 2014, 12:54 pm

compacted_graphite wrote:Steve,

In addition to the spots that you have already mentioned, which I assume you have lat/long coordinates for:

Here are some additional spots:

- the Rock Garden: 42 degrees 40' 45.82"N. 83 degrees, 28' 26.13"W
- Ugga Bugga Land: the start of the high skinny ridge, which goes for 1/4 mile: 42 degrees, 41' 24.46"N, 83 degrees, 28' 15.13" W
- The chute is also known as the gully or the corkscrew
- The optional trail (right hand turn) is called "Extra Credit": 42 degrees, 41' 38.15"N, 83 degrees, 27' 04.20" W

DB

Thanks Dave, those are good to hear. I'll keep that all in mind when getting the finalized map together.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments