CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » June 14th, 2011, 7:27 am

brokenbones wrote:Reroute beginning to form to the left of that tangle. Where's Mr. "I can break it with my bare hands" when you need him? Trail was great otherwise.

The bare hand bit pretty much only works with trees that are dry, rotted and brittle. The tree in question is still quite green, supple and strong.

I'll try to remember to put my folding bow saw in my pack when I ride tonight (and some Deep Woods OFF too!). But stating this here pretty much guarantees that I'll stare into the back of my vehicle for a few seconds before my ride with the vague feeling that I'm forgetting something and then take off without it.
Last edited by KLydesdale on June 15th, 2011, 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » June 14th, 2011, 7:28 am

ihateplaindave wrote:Looks like someone started to saw it out, but hadn't finished as of Sunday AM.

Probably got carried off by mosquitos before they could finish.
KLydesdale

Postby compacted_graphite » June 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm

The downed tree limbs at mile 6.5 (on the ridgeline referred to as Ugga Bugga Land) have been cleared as of 3 PM Thursday. A ten inch hand saw was used and took about 45 minutes of mosquito infested work to clear. The trail on the walk in from Orr Road appeared to be fairly dry, but is becoming somewhat brushy due to the amount of water to help grow the lush green forest this year. The TCs will be working to do some brushing and trimming work over the next couple of weeks.

The TC doesn't want to get preachy, but if you favor bug repellent, make sure you wear it. If you don't favor bug repellent, bring it along just in case you have a flat tire or mechanical problem; otherwise, the bugs will devour you as soon as you stop. The skeeters seem to be very healthy and in great numbers this year.
compacted_graphite

Postby EnRaz » June 17th, 2011, 8:11 am

Didn't rain much here in Farmington Hills last night, but I heard it was monsoon-like up near PLRA.

Anyone have any trail updates? Have tentative plans to meet a friend this evening for a ride, but don't wanna ride the trail if it needs a day or two for drying...
~Nick

"It is a tragedy of the world that a man does not know what he does not know. And the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything."
EnRaz

Postby KLydesdale » June 17th, 2011, 9:06 am

EnRaz wrote:Didn't rain much here in Farmington Hills last night, but I heard it was monsoon-like up near PLRA.

Anyone have any trail updates? Have tentative plans to meet a friend this evening for a ride, but don't wanna ride the trail if it needs a day or two for drying...

The rainfall in the area yesterday varied quite a bit even within a few miles. The NWS White Lake weather station reported 0.19 inch of rain for the 24 hour period ending at 8am today while Oakland County International Airport reported 0.74". http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=dtx&product=RTP&issuedby=DTX&format=ci&version=1

On this map it doesn't look like the PLRA got hit too badly. (zoom in on the area)
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/RFC_Precip/?site=dtx&lat=43.5&lon=-83.5&zoom=3

In any case, I wouldn't fret about riding tonight if it is warm and sunny all day like predicted. All it takes is a half day of weather like this for the trail to dry out.
Last edited by KLydesdale on June 17th, 2011, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KLydesdale

Postby kaysee » June 17th, 2011, 9:19 am

If anyone rides this today, can you please update?
kaysee

Postby Negaunee » June 17th, 2011, 11:29 am

Rode today. Puddles here and there in the low spots. You will get muddy and have to hose off your bike but they're not anything you have to slow down much for. There is a lot of plant overgrowth encroaching on the trail. It's amazing how fast that stuff grows. I had to duck a lot and missed a few of my lines due to greenery blocking my view and my way, added critical milliseconds to my rocket speed time. I wish we didn't have to have our mountain bike trails in nature. It's so darn inconvenient.

A bit of trimming will be needed before next weekend's race.
Negaunee

Postby kaysee » June 17th, 2011, 11:36 am

cool! Thanks
kaysee

Postby KLydesdale » June 17th, 2011, 9:10 pm

FWIW, I rode PLRA around 6:30 pm today and didn't get muddy at all. I did hose off when I got home though, but that was because I'm seeing a helluva lot of poison ivy out there these days so I wash down exposed skin outside using cold water and some dish soap to remove any PI oil (urushiol) I may have gotten on me somehow.
KLydesdale

Postby kaysee » June 20th, 2011, 11:04 am

rode this yesterday. *beep* near perfect shape. no trees or mud on the trail.
kaysee

Postby RMXByker » June 20th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Where is the best location to park and ride here? I've only ridden once at PLRA and it was for the first Tailwind race this year. Is that a decent spot to park or is there somewhere better? Google map location preferred.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby utabintarbo » June 20th, 2011, 2:34 pm

RMXByker wrote:Where is the best location to park and ride here? I've only ridden once at PLRA and it was for the first Tailwind race this year. Is that a decent spot to park or is there somewhere better? Google map location preferred.

Here

That's the trail heading off to the left.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby RMXByker » June 23rd, 2011, 9:47 am

What do you guys think? Ridable today?
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby redmosquito1 » June 25th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Just got back from riding what I'll call the north loop which is the loop north of the campground road. Trail was in pretty good shape and dry, there were a few spots where it had overgrown in the fields but come on this is mountain biking after all. If you wanted 10ft on either side of the trail Indian Springs isn't to far away.

This was my first ride through the north section in at least 15 years if not ever and man that was fun. I skipped the half pipe looking downhill section because at that point I was dead, but met up with a few riders mid trail for a rest and they said it was in good shape, their first time through too and said definitely crazy hard for 1st timers.
redmosquito1

Postby oldkhs » June 26th, 2011, 7:47 pm

redmosquito1 wrote:Just got back from riding what I'll call the north loop which is the loop north of the campground road. Trail was in pretty good shape and dry, there were a few spots where it had overgrown in the fields but come on this is mountain biking after all. If you wanted 10ft on either side of the trail Indian Springs isn't to far away.

This was my first ride through the north section in at least 15 years if not ever and man that was fun. I skipped the half pipe looking downhill section because at that point I was dead, but met up with a few riders mid trail for a rest and they said it was in good shape, their first time through too and said definitely crazy hard for 1st timers.

Nice work. Glad you were able to split the trail to work your way back in. Nothing like being able to make a short ride to such an awesome trail....
oldkhs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions