CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby compacted_graphite » September 10th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Trail conditions for Tuesday, September 10, 2013: There are no obstructions on the trail. Trail bed is dry, loose and rocky. The sand pits are loose. Rocks and roots in the trail may be moist and slippery for morning riders due to the heavy dew in this warm weather. The shade is welcome during the short heat wave. Very little rain fell in this area on Monday.
compacted_graphite

Postby oldkhs » September 10th, 2013, 9:34 pm

You da man for picking the hottest day to ride. Thanks for your support on the trail.
oldkhs

Postby Critter7r » September 11th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Waterford got a downpour(!!) for about 30 minutes tonight on my way home from work, I suspect it also hit PLRA, so the trail should be dust free tomorrow!
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby MtnBikerMi » September 12th, 2013, 4:17 am

There is a "hike a bike through" tree down after the switchbacks, about a 1/4 mileish, it is right before the climb with the sharp right turn. With just about 3 miles left last night, the sky went dark, thunder started, lightening was crossing the sky, and I ALMOST made it. Got hammered by the rain in the last mile. I will 2nd the previous post, ton of rain dropped on the trail! I would say it dropped about 15 degrees in the last 2 miles of my ride, made for a interesting ride!
MtnBikerMi

Postby Bigfelt66 » September 12th, 2013, 10:27 am

any news on the trail conditions after last nights storm?
Bigfelt66

Postby oldkhs » September 13th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Trail in good shape. Tree mentioned above still there. A ride around is forming. Also, there is a limb in the chute that causes you to cut the 2nd of 3 turns short.

Also, the tracked vehicle / atv seems to be going further on the trail now. Especially on the back half. What is that? Surely not "supposed" to be on the trail, but it does seem to be knocking some of the brush and crap down on the sides.
oldkhs

Postby Doc_d » September 15th, 2013, 4:53 am

Rode yesterday. What's up with the orange electrical cable on the trail. That thing must be miles long. There was one fast section where I thought I might get tangled up with it. The damage the tracked equipment has done to the trail is inexcusable. Is the DNR monitoring what's going on out there?
Doc_d

Postby parasurfore » September 15th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Same here with the orange cord. They're making a mess out of the trail...anyone know the story? I heard it has something to do with gaslines
parasurfore

Postby oldkhs » September 15th, 2013, 2:43 pm

This area is being checked for gas / oil. If they find some, I'm not sure where they would drill. I know they can come in sideways from quite a distance.

However, I would think those guys should still play by dnr rules, meaning not trashing the trail... If not, it could be a bad sign for things to come.

A lot of orange cord for sure.
oldkhs

Postby parasurfore » September 15th, 2013, 2:49 pm

i mean they knocked over a ton of trees by the "bowl"/ area where the easy/hard signs are/switchbacks. We now need a chainsaw to clear the fallen trees :/
parasurfore

Postby b_b » September 15th, 2013, 4:12 pm

The orange cord is a safety hazard for sure especially just before the paved road crossing it's strung haphazardly all over the middle of the trail throughout a fast downhill and wouldn't be pretty if got tangled in wheels or pedals/cranks.
b_b

Postby oldkhs » September 15th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Just called the park. Was told this is a permitted activity - both laying orange cord on the trail for seismic testing, AND running a tracked atv on the MTB bike trail.

That is fantastic.

Mentioned potential safety issue with cord running in middle of a downhill MTB trail that guys are running 20 mph on. He said he would need to talk w supervisor about that.

He did also say it wouldn't be much longer.

Would be nice if they at least cleaned up the mess they made that we will have to go in and fix.
oldkhs

Postby Sortaslow » September 15th, 2013, 5:49 pm

I'd bet any complaints on safety from us would just result in
temporary trail closure. When higher powers are involved, we are nobody.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

Postby oldkhs » September 15th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Could be. I left it at that. IMO there was only one spot where the cord was off the ground and could be an issue.
oldkhs

Postby johnboy » September 16th, 2013, 9:46 pm

there's an easy fix to that... cut the cord, and sell it for scrap. hahaha
johnboy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments