CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby compacted_graphite » August 24th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Trail coordinator notes Saturday August 24, 2013: the orange tape seen in the woods is for defining survey coordinates for natural gas deposits. Surveyors are looking for gas, but park supervision indicates that drilling rigs would not be placed on park property. That's not to say that if gas is present, drilling might be done outside of park boundaries and reach under the park boundaries. Drilling rigs have been seen on the NE corner of Teggerdine and White Lake Road, and also on the NW property edge of Indian Springs Metro Park.

As for trimming the trail, how many people might be able to make a trail day on September 7, 2013? Trail coordinators are really anxious to organize a trail day to start armoring the last drop, but if people are willing to trim brush, we can do that, too.
compacted_graphite

Postby MtnBikerMi » August 29th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Lots of evidence of a 4-Wheeler on the trails today. Not sure if it is related to gas surveys, but looked excessive as it appeared they were blazing new trails when the mtb trail was to narrow for them. Mostly after the 2 mile hill and a mile or so past the airfield road. Otherwise trail was in good shape.
MtnBikerMi

Postby steveracer » August 29th, 2013, 9:31 pm

I noticed evidence of the gas surveys, and am concerned this is going to change the landscape of the park. It is a shame.
Also the trail is quite loose in quite a few spots, be aware of what is ahead, and watch out for the poison ivy. It itches like *beep* right now.... :evil:
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby AaronEvan » August 30th, 2013, 7:23 am

Where is the poison ivy?
AaronEvan

Postby smartblast.org » August 30th, 2013, 10:31 am

Rode the trail this morning and could see how the gas company was using the bike trail. DNR had told me that the permit stated they could not use the trails for equipment. I stopped at the park office and they said they were not aware of them using the trail and would take a look today. Also noticed most of the tape was gone.

Trail could use a trim but is in decent shape for this time of the year. If you know where the poison ivy is, please post and we will mark it so others can avoid it.
smartblast.org

Postby b_b » August 30th, 2013, 10:45 am

Wow I don't understand why DNR would even allow them to use quads especially if they're not allowed on trails. It would be useless unless they're allowed to blaze their own trails which I seriously doubt.
b_b

Postby wspfan » August 30th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Much bigger than an ATV back there. rode a couple laps and paid special attention to the equipment tracks. I was hoping it wasn't a new method for trimming the trail. After the air field there is quite a bit of damage to the canopy to the point of broken limbs that you really need to duck under. Was hoping that the park would not allow this activity on the trail. Looked like the put in a reroute for us just after campground road, but it looks like they came in off the equestrian trail. Looked to be small tractor or bobcat with tracks.

That said I thought the rain the night before helped the trail a little and was a fun ride as always.
wspfan

Postby thunderzy » August 31st, 2013, 6:24 am

Any ride pontiac today? Curious to know how wet it is?
thunderzy

Postby steveracer » August 31st, 2013, 8:16 am

AaronEvan wrote:Where is the poison ivy?

All over my right arm and right leg.

Just don't fall or touch anything and you will be fine.
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby mjbl » September 2nd, 2013, 5:49 pm

Rode this AM, real nice shape. Go get it.
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby Zach_T » September 6th, 2013, 10:30 am

Do you have to pay a fee to ride this trail? I'm getting conflicting information.
Zach_T

Postby MtnBikerMi » September 6th, 2013, 10:34 am

Only Need a State Park Pass to park in the lot, and ride the trail, no specific charge to ride!
MtnBikerMi

Postby lawn dart » September 8th, 2013, 11:51 am

steveracer wrote:Where is the poison ivy?

AaronEvan wrote:All over my right arm and right leg.

Ba da dum *rimshot*

LOL! :mrgreen:
lawn dart

Postby oldkhs » September 8th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Trail in great shape this am.

Seems as if someone has trimmed a bit on the back half. Or it was the guys with the atv's.
oldkhs

Postby lawn dart » September 8th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Trail was in great shape this pm.

Found a spare tube at about mile 3. Posted in Lost & Found.
lawn dart

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments