CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby oldkhs » March 14th, 2011, 10:47 am

str8flush24 wrote:
Paul Brown wrote:What about keeping this on topic :shock: .

Agreed :icon_thumright: , I am much more interested in trail conditions at Pontiac Lake

x3. Anyone riding PLRA now? What are conditions? Curious when the ice will me all (or mostly) gone...
oldkhs

Postby str8flush24 » March 16th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Definitely not ridable. Went out there tonight and its 80% still covered in a decent amount of packed snow/ice. Its going to be two weeks before its even remotely ridable.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby KLydesdale » March 17th, 2011, 6:19 am

If you want to get a good indication when the trail goes on-line for post-thaw riding, watch the soil temperature measurements for the NWS White Lake office posted HERE. They only update them once a week but when they go above freezing, it indicates the frost layer is gone so the trail can drain and dry out.

Here in the Clarkston area, the ground is still pretty frozen in shaded areas even though there's no snow or ice on top.
KLydesdale

Postby AirGuitar29 » March 18th, 2011, 7:00 am

KLydesdale wrote:If you want to get a good indication when the trail goes on-line for post-thaw riding, watch the soil temperature measurements for the NWS White Lake office posted HERE. They only update them once a week but when they go above freezing, it indicates the frost layer is gone so the trail can drain and dry out.

Here in the Clarkston area, the ground is still pretty frozen in shaded areas even though there's no snow or ice on top.

Great tip, thanks! I was out there on foot yesterday and, of course, the trail is a mixture of ice and mud.
Experienced Crasher
Niner SIR 9
AirGuitar29

Postby c0nsumer » March 18th, 2011, 7:03 am

KLydesdale wrote:If you want to get a good indication when the trail goes on-line for post-thaw riding, watch the soil temperature measurements for the NWS White Lake office posted HERE. They only update them once a week but when they go above freezing, it indicates the frost layer is gone so the trail can drain and dry out.

That's pretty nifty. It makes me want to build a soil temp gauge of my own now.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby flamingo » March 20th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Went to check out conditions yesterday. Entered from the Taggerdine road to see how is it in the place where the trail crosses the road. It is still soft. Sure enough there were some heavy tire markings on it. Please don't ride it yet. Snowmobiles already did some damage to it on the last sections.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby oldkhs » March 27th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Anyone been out to the trail recently? Curious if most of the ice is gone yet, and if this cold week has made the trail hard enough to ride w/o rutting it up.
oldkhs

Postby abu1971 » March 30th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Any update regarding PLRA trail condition? Thx..
abu1971

Postby Paul Brown » March 30th, 2011, 2:07 pm

AVOID.
Paul Brown

Postby RQ1 » March 31st, 2011, 12:42 am

Lots of muddy, slick sections all over. Still some ice and snow in shady places. Seven or eight sets of pizza cutters as far North as the airfield.

Avoid for a while.
RQ1

Postby Roy » March 31st, 2011, 7:00 am

Consumer,

Building a Soil Temperature gage could be a great project.
We now live in a data driven world. I can see the frost depth posted at the trail head.
" FROST DEPTH IS NOW AT 3 INCHES, PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE TRAIL"
The data would need to be very current. (updated daily)
The "please don't ride" notices are allowed to stay up after the frost is gone. If a rider reads a please don't ride sign and the the trail in ok, then that rider learns to disregard it.
The area around a trail head tends to thaw out first. Many well meaning riders get fooled. It is not until they into the shaded areas that they hit the frost.

I think that "consumer' is on to something.
Island Lake or Stoney would be good trails for a pilot project.
Maybe someone on this board works with instruments and would have an idea as to the cost.
A " Mister Science" approach might be to burry copper tubes at different depths. Then just pour water in the tube. If the tube drains the frost is gone at that depth. Are there other "Mister Science" ideas out there?

Roy
Roy

Postby compacted_graphite » April 3rd, 2011, 12:34 pm

Trail report for Sunday April 3, 2011: Pontiac Lake Recreation area has still not fully thawed out from winter, therefore, the trails still have a lot of moisture in the ground that softens the trails during afternoon warmth. There was still some snow and ice on the track yesterday. It is not recommended that bicycles ride the trails at this time, as they will leave deep ruts. More moisture is expected April 3 and 4th. There is one tree down at mile 1.9 before two mile hill climb that has to be walked around, there are three other trees down that can be ridden around. Trees will be trimmed this coming Saturday at the April 9th Trail Maintenance Day. Volunteers do not need to be members of the MMBA. The trail maintenance will meet at the Trail head by the beach at 9 AM. There will not be any new trails constructed. Volunteers should bring sturdy shoes, water bottle, safety glasses, and gloves. Rain day will be the following day April 10. We will do some benching on some of the steeper uphills and downhills primarliy on the south half of the trail (the first five miles) depending on how many people attend the session.
compacted_graphite

Postby AirGuitar29 » April 5th, 2011, 7:07 am

I plan on attending the Trail Maintenance Day on the 9th. Should I also bring a shovel, a rigid rake for grading, possibly a manual pole saw for cutting limbs? I've never been to one of these before. Thanks for any tool suggestions and thanks for organizing it.
Experienced Crasher
Niner SIR 9
AirGuitar29

Postby compacted_graphite » April 6th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Thanks for your response, airguitar29. We are bringing a trailer full of tools to the trail day. I've already got a chain saw coming, so I am really only asking people to bring a branch lopper to carry with them, along with what ever tools we take from the trailer. The biggest job is to do some benching in some eroded areas - we have shovels and mcleods and other implements of construction in the trailer.
compacted_graphite

Postby paynful » April 7th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Not looking good for the race... I know its 2 weeks away, but the fact that it still hasn't thawed and it has been raining a lot is not going to dry it out unless we get a heat wave!
paynful

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions