CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby johnboy » August 11th, 2013, 8:40 am

I like the break bumps.. it's DIRT people! if I wanted smooth there's all kinds of road to ride.
johnboy

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » August 11th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I don't necessarily like break bumps. I am all for technical trails, but I'd rather that be rocks or roots. I say put rocks in dips of break bumps and it should remain technical, but a bit better armored (as long as the rocks are big enough not to get ripped out).
that being said, I rode the trail Friday and I had no problems. I do know the section he is referring to, there is a banked turn at the end of it. I always make it a point to ride that downhill with reckless abandon. you really don't even need to brake that much at all, which is ironically true of most places that develop brake bumps.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby c0nsumer » August 11th, 2013, 11:40 pm

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:I don't necessarily like break bumps. I am all for technical trails, but I'd rather that be rocks or roots. I say put rocks in dips of break bumps and it should remain technical, but a bit better armored (as long as the rocks are big enough not to get ripped out).
that being said, I rode the trail Friday and I had no problems. I do know the section he is referring to, there is a banked turn at the end of it. I always make it a point to ride that downhill with reckless abandon. you really don't even need to brake that much at all, which is ironically true of most places that develop brake bumps.

Yep; that's exactly it. I imagine this section is great when smooth or if you can spot a good line. I don't know PLRA very well, so it always catches me a bit, and then it's rough coming into it with the brake bumps.

I'm not sure putting rocks in them would do it, as they are curved in such a way that I think the rocks would get popped out. Making the surface harder overall would help, but without rock... That may take paving the trail. Literally.

johnboy wrote:I like the break bumps.. it's DIRT people! if I wanted smooth there's all kinds of road to ride.

If you really like brake bumps, go ride dirt roads in populated areas. Brake bumps and washboard roads (particularly the pothole-ish ones near stop signs) are the same sort of wear. If not mitigated (graded in the case of roads) they'll keep wearing in until they are nearly unridable. This sort-of explains it from a washboard perspective, but brake bumps are the same thing except in reverse (slowing wheel instead of accelerating).
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby johnboy » August 11th, 2013, 11:45 pm

don't get me wrong, erosion sucks. I guess I should have said "I'm cool with whatever the trail throws at me, and I don't mind the break bumps"
johnboy

Postby ArcticRobot » August 13th, 2013, 1:58 pm

dirt wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.

Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.

Granted, but brake bumps are usually the result of trail design decisions. Designing the trail so that people naturally scrub their speed before the come into the corner hot will eliminate many brake bumps.

PLRA is in the real need of berms. Lots of turns can be bermed there so people who can't handle turns properly can still maintain their speed without producing brake bumps. And people who can handle turns will absolutely zipp on PLRA. Also, all of those mud spots need to be turned into rock gardens.
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby brokenbones » August 14th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Anyone know who strung orange Surveyors’ tape all over the trail a couple weeks ago, and more importantly, why It's still there?

Other than that, the trail has been great the last two nights, with just a few (usual) damp spots. No obstructions.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby ArcticRobot » August 16th, 2013, 2:27 pm

brokenbones wrote:Anyone know who strung orange Surveyors’ tape all over the trail a couple weeks ago, and more importantly, why It's still there?

Other than that, the trail has been great the last two nights, with just a few (usual) damp spots. No obstructions.

I was wondering the same thing.
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby Xtian1206= » August 17th, 2013, 2:44 pm

our group's first time to ride this trail today and conditions where perfect!!! we did notice remnants of Orange tapes..
Xtian1206=

Postby amadkins » August 18th, 2013, 10:22 am

Pretty dry out there yesterday with the most loose grapefruit size rocks that I've seen.
amadkins

Postby Sortaslow » August 18th, 2013, 4:41 pm

amadkins wrote:Pretty dry out there yesterday with the most loose grapefruit size rocks that I've seen.

Loosest I've ever seen it since I stated riding in 08. Pretty fun time.
Sortaslow

Postby parasurfore » August 19th, 2013, 8:11 am

Who is the trail coordinator for PLRA? The trail has seemed overgrown and some of the Cycletherapy people would be more than able to help during a trail day.
parasurfore

Postby c0nsumer » August 19th, 2013, 8:32 am

parasurfore wrote:Who is the trail coordinator for PLRA? The trail has seemed overgrown and some of the Cycletherapy people would be more than able to help during a trail day.

Dave / compactedgraphite here. Email plra@cramba.org to get in touch with him.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby KLydesdale » August 23rd, 2013, 11:48 pm

ArcticRobot wrote:
brokenbones wrote:Anyone know who strung orange Surveyors’ tape all over the trail a couple weeks ago, and more importantly, why It's still there?

I was wondering the same thing.

You mean you guys haven't heard? Due to the increasing amount of complaints about erosion and brake bumps out there, the DNR has decided to pave the MTB trail. The orange tape is to guide the construction crew.
KLydesdale

Postby jpak » August 24th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Are there any races around this loop? What are people clocking for lap times?
jpak

Postby jbone » August 24th, 2013, 6:56 pm

jbone

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments