CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby sdycha » November 11th, 2010, 11:08 am

Pontiac was in magnificent shape yesterday. No sight of hunters. Five beagles came to visit us though. Shots were heard but I think there is a gun range there. A few slippery leaves from dew and fog dripping. Wonderful ride.
sdycha

Postby Critter7r » November 11th, 2010, 5:50 pm

sdycha wrote:Pontiac was in magnificent shape yesterday. No sight of hunters. Five beagles came to visit us though. Shots were heard but I think there is a gun range there. A few slippery leaves from dew and fog dripping. Wonderful ride.

the gun range is off Gale road near Williams Lake. I'm hoping to ride there tomorrow. Skipping out of work early for it. I hope the weather holds up.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby MikeBl » November 13th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Trail in great shape - only saw one hunter with two dogs - orange arrow still present - what's the deal with all the orange painted :?: rocks in the trail path? Not a distraction, just curios.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby oldkhs » November 13th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Read a few posts back. Some group did that & was supposed to remove it, but either never did, or was unsuccessful.
oldkhs

Postby MikeBl » November 28th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Only one real muddy spot, old/new re route at previously consistant muddy area. I would classify PLRA as OK to ride. :D What a beautiful day it was/is.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby ArcticRobot » November 28th, 2010, 11:04 pm

MikeBl wrote:Only one real muddy spot, old/new re route at previously consistant muddy area. I would classify PLRA as OK to ride. :D What a beautiful day it was/is.

That reroute actually make things worse. That little muddy spot was easy to avoid, and now all we got is just supermuddy uphill, which is getting destroyed really easy by riders. This can be fixed by some gravel sprinkled - will make that little uphill fun to ride even when it's dry)
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby oldkhs » December 7th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Trail in good shape tonight. No slushy parts, everything is frozen. 1 or 2 sticks to watch out for.

Since there is no dome over the trail, it is a bit cool though. :D
oldkhs

Postby str8flush24 » December 18th, 2010, 11:54 am

Anyone been XC skiing out there? How are the conditions?
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby oldkhs » December 20th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Better yet, anyone riding PRLC on the bike? Conditions? I've been unable to get out for a bit.
oldkhs

Postby RQ1 » December 21st, 2010, 4:05 pm

I rode the North half on Sunday (from the camp road, past the airfield, back to the camp road).

The whole trail was packed down by a group of 60-70 ultra-runners that morning (doing multiple laps, I was told). They made a pretty uniform 20 inch wide channel through 6-10 inch deep snow the whole way. It's foot traffic, so it's a bit lumpy and requires a lot of concentration to stay in the groove. I'm on a skinny-tire bike, so I walked a lot of the uphill slopes due to lost traction and/or steering. But the ones I did climb felt like major victories.

I checked out part of the South half and found snowmobile tracks from the camp road returning towards the trailhead. But I didn't follow them far enough to see if they went all the way. One of the guys from the running club said that three quarters of the trail hadn't had any snowmobile traffic. So I would guess that maybe half of the south half had tracks, since the North half didn't have any at all. If that makes sense. Basically, if you want to try riding on snowmobile tracks, start at the normal trailhead. If you want to ride on foot packed snow, start at the airfield. Have fun.
RQ1

Postby ReidRules18 » December 26th, 2010, 8:36 am

Has anyone been out here lately? What are the conditions, I haven't ridden this trail all year and was thinking of making it out this morning.

-Reid
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby utabintarbo » December 26th, 2010, 9:13 am

ReidRules18 wrote:Has anyone been out here lately? What are the conditions, I haven't ridden this trail all year and was thinking of making it out this morning.

-Reid

See here.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby ReidRules18 » December 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I made out there on Sunday and it was slow going. More snow on that side of the state than I thought, and ended up riding the trail to the campground road and then heading back on the return trail. Saw some snowmobiles, man are those things loud!

Also, I found a MP3 player at the trailhead. It must have been lost that day as the battery was still good and everything worked. I dried it off and returned it to the DNR headquarters. If you can identify it, go get it back!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby oldkhs » January 2nd, 2011, 4:45 pm

Rode today, decent ride. A small percentage of the trail is icy in the singletrack lane, just enough to slow you down pretty good to be safe, especially in some key spots. Was a good technical ride to dodge the ice though. Would be tough to ride with a light snow, as you would not know where the ice is. Not sure how much studs help, I obviously don't have them.
oldkhs

Postby str8flush24 » January 8th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Rode the first half of the loop today and bailed out at campground road due to time constraints. Trail is in decent shape but obviously slow. Minimal foot traffic and only one other set of tire treads out there. No sign of snowmobiles on the singletrack.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions