CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby MediumRB » August 5th, 2013, 1:05 pm

Trail was pretty good yesterday. Try to mush out some of the worst cuts in the mud, if your aim is good.
Everything I ride makes sense.
User avatar
MediumRB
 
Posts: 485
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Location: Waterford

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby Bellock » August 7th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Anyone ride today? How is it.
User avatar
Bellock
 
Posts: 20
Joined: November 1st, 2008, 10:10 pm
Location: Oxford MI

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby thunderzy » August 8th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Anyone ride today?
thunderzy
 
Posts: 33
Joined: July 23rd, 2010, 10:25 am

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby johnboy » August 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm

it's gotta be good ta go. I live a mile from there, and we missed most of the big stuff in the past 36hrs. I have no standing puddles around my house. that normally means that it's the same there. I'm gonna head there in a few hrs to get my fix.
User avatar
johnboy
 
Posts: 73
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby thunderzy » August 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Just completed the entire trail. Completely dry except for a handful of slippery muddy spots.
thunderzy
 
Posts: 33
Joined: July 23rd, 2010, 10:25 am

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby Dirtdevil » August 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm

iamkickstand wrote:Rumor I heard was a guy died, helmet embedded with rocks. I don't however trust my source at all.


I heard the same thing from a gal who frequents the trail. Supposedly a guy slammed into a tree, broke his neck & died. Very sad regardless of how it happened :cry:

:twisted:
User avatar
Dirtdevil
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: July 5th, 2002, 11:56 am
Location: Plymouth

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby dirt » August 9th, 2013, 9:14 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.


Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.


Granted, but brake bumps are usually the result of trail design decisions. Designing the trail so that people naturally scrub their speed before the come into the corner hot will eliminate many brake bumps.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
User avatar
dirt
Administrator
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: May 20th, 2003, 11:44 am
Location: Mount Clemens

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby MediumRB » August 9th, 2013, 11:14 am

dirt wrote:Designing the trail so that people naturally scrub their speed before the come into the corner hot will eliminate many brake bumps.


I find that a hunter in the corner's apex with his rifle at the ready will usually have me squeezing the brakes.
Everything I ride makes sense.
User avatar
MediumRB
 
Posts: 485
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Location: Waterford

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby Steve_Balogh » August 9th, 2013, 12:51 pm

dirt wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.


Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.


Granted, but brake bumps are usually the result of trail design decisions. Designing the trail so that people naturally scrub their speed before the come into the corner hot will eliminate many brake bumps.


Haven't ridden PLRA in a couple months, I can't picture where this is a problem with trail design. As far as brake bumps being where they would not be expected, I've seen how that happens many times - kids "Brake Torqing" their front wheel so the rear kicks up dirt, or just slamming their brakes any old place to make a skid.
User avatar
Steve_Balogh
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: June 22nd, 2002, 7:29 pm
Location: Canton, Mi (aka "IKEAVILLE")

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby dirt » August 9th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Steve_Balogh wrote:
dirt wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.


Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.


Granted, but brake bumps are usually the result of trail design decisions. Designing the trail so that people naturally scrub their speed before the come into the corner hot will eliminate many brake bumps.


Haven't ridden PLRA in a couple months, I can't picture where this is a problem with trail design. As far as brake bumps being where they would not be expected, I've seen how that happens many times - kids "Brake Torqing" their front wheel so the rear kicks up dirt, or just slamming their brakes any old place to make a skid.


It's a pretty simple design rule. If the trail allows the rider to come into a corner faster then they'll be able to take the corner, the result is people standing on their brakes. Ways to fix this are either to force the rider to slow down first, or to build the corner so that the rider can take more speed.

http://forums.mtbr.com/trail-building-a ... 89403.html
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
User avatar
dirt
Administrator
 
Posts: 7096
Joined: May 20th, 2003, 11:44 am
Location: Mount Clemens

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » August 9th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Hmm... interesting. I've ridden PLRA several times since people have mentioned bad braking bumps out there and, for the life of me, I don't see what they are talking about. I've been actively looking out for them too.
KLydesdale
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:15 am
Location: Clarkston

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby c0nsumer » August 9th, 2013, 1:20 pm

KLydesdale wrote:Hmm... interesting. I've ridden PLRA several times since people have mentioned bad braking bumps out there and, for the life of me, I don't see what they are talking about. I've been actively looking out for them too.


One corner that comes to mind is after descending off of two mile climb there's a right turn into a climbing rock garden. Just before that is a really bad brake bumpy section.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8369
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby KLydesdale » August 9th, 2013, 1:33 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:Hmm... interesting. I've ridden PLRA several times since people have mentioned bad braking bumps out there and, for the life of me, I don't see what they are talking about. I've been actively looking out for them too.


One corner that comes to mind is after descending off of two mile climb there's a right turn into a climbing rock garden. Just before that is a really bad brake bumpy section.


Is this the rock garden to which you're referring?

Image
KLydesdale
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:15 am
Location: Clarkston

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby c0nsumer » August 9th, 2013, 1:43 pm

KLydesdale wrote:Is this the rock garden to which you're referring?


No. This one is shorter and immediately after a fairly sharp left turn and slightly climbing. The trail then gets a bit narrower and climbs a bit afterword. It's also preceded by a brake bump-littered downhill. ;)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
Administrator
 
Posts: 8369
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby compacted_graphite » August 10th, 2013, 9:04 am

Trail Coordinator comments regarding braking bumps: there are some locations around the trail where trail design and trail maintenance affect braking bumps. The stretches before the rock garden developing braking bumps unless annually reoccuring maintenance provides relief. Over time, the trail troughs out in the middle, and then rain water travels down the center of the trail, accelerating the erosion and brake bump development. Two years ago we sent a trail crew to that location to knock the downhill side of the trough back down the slope, so that the camber of the trail would let water drain down the slope, not the trail. This year, we concentrated on drainage improvements on the trail day from mile 4 to 6, so the front side of the trail system did not get its required annual repair.

Nice picture, incidently, of the rock garden. The rock garden is at roughly mile 2.9ish. Trail was free of obstructions as of Thursday PM. There were a couple of wet spots.
compacted_graphite
 
Posts: 74
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 12:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jen_Smith11 and 6 guests