CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby LCW » October 11th, 2010, 8:33 am

KLydesdale wrote:
blacksword wrote:Really though, I don't see an issue with riding during hunting season.

If you've ever had bullets/pellets fly through leaves over your head while riding, I'd bet you'd see an issue with it. That has happened to my ride group twice at PLRA during small game season and, let me tell you, it's a very disconcerting experience. I still don't know if it was accidental or if a hunter was trying to throw a scare into us. Both those incidents occurred mid-day on a weekend so we avoid riding there at that time nowadays. FWIW, I was wearing a blaze orange safety vest.

wow... if that's the case (hunters trying to scare the riders) that's not cool at all...

i rode there yesterday, one say a couple hunters towards the end, and they were right by the trail, completely visible and non-threatening... so no issues... although I should get something brighter to ride in at this time of year... i wear mostly black... not a good idea...
LCW

Postby b_b » October 11th, 2010, 8:43 am

KLydesdale wrote:If you've ever had bullets/pellets fly through leaves over your head while riding, I'd bet you'd see an issue with it. That has happened to my ride group twice at PLRA during small game season and, let me tell you, it's a very disconcerting experience. I still don't know if it was accidental or if a hunter was trying to throw a scare into us. Both those incidents occurred mid-day on a weekend so we avoid riding there at that time nowadays. FWIW, I was wearing a blaze orange safety vest.

I would log a formal complaint with DNR. If they get enough complaints these guys will lose the opportunity to hunt in these areas. I have no problem with hunting, but realistically we're talking about relatively small areas of public multi-use land in densely populated areas laced with hiking, biking, and horse trails. If the hunters really want/expect to be secluded then there are MILLIONS of acres of state and federal forests within 3 hours drive. Smart hunters will be out there before dawn when the animals are moving and there's slim to none people activity anyhow.
b_b

Postby str8flush24 » October 11th, 2010, 9:00 am

+1 on filing a complaint. I was out on Saturday and saw two hunters about 1.5 miles in but never heard a shot.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby blacksword » October 11th, 2010, 3:17 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
blacksword wrote:Really though, I don't see an issue with riding during hunting season.

If you've ever had bullets/pellets fly through leaves over your head while riding, I'd bet you'd see an issue with it. That has happened to my ride group twice at PLRA during small game season and, let me tell you, it's a very disconcerting experience. I still don't know if it was accidental or if a hunter was trying to throw a scare into us. Both those incidents occurred mid-day on a weekend so we avoid riding there at that time nowadays. FWIW, I was wearing a blaze orange safety vest.

The vast majority of people using state lands for hunting, are going to be using them on the weekends. Granted, in this economy, there might be more out there during the week- but hunters are just like the rest, out when they are off work.
Did you see the hunter who shot? Did you have an interaction with them? IF, and I feel that is unlikely, they did it on purpose a complaint at the office would be in order.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby str8flush24 » October 14th, 2010, 1:28 pm

If anyone goes out today please post the condition after the rain yesterday. Thanks.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby MtnBikerMi » October 14th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Couple of puddles, nothing you can't avoid. But the trees dropped a ton of leaves, watch out for slick roots and rocks under the leaves, hard to see through the leaves in spots. Although it was a great ride, best time of year to ride!
MtnBikerMi

Postby compacted_graphite » October 17th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Trail report for Sunday October 17, 2010: The Mountain Bike Trail at Pontiac Lake is in good condition, dry, and there are no obstacles to report. A tree leaning over the trail just before mile 7 (after the climb out of the gully) was removed. There are leaves covering the numerous roots and rocks, so bikers should exercise caution especially after any upcoming rain or early in the morning with dew.
compacted_graphite

Postby oldkhs » October 25th, 2010, 9:39 am

Large tree down crossing the trail a little bit after the 8 mile bicycle trail marker sign. I think my computer said 8 point something, but I start at the Cross road entrance, and I'm using the default setting, so I don't know how accurate that is... I think it is a mile or so before that Cross road entrance, during one of the last little rocky climbs and after the spot with the 3 or 4 drops as you go downhill. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Defnitely a chainsaw job in my mind. 1st noticed saturday afternoon, still there yesterday.

Fortunately is it easy to step over, but you need to get off the bike (at least I do).

Other than that, the trail seems very nice, saturday was a bit wetter, Sunday was great, nice day too.
oldkhs

Postby oldkhs » October 27th, 2010, 7:23 pm

To no suprise with the past 2 days, there is stuff down all over the place. Got off the bike 4 or 5 times to go over chainsaw material trees tonight. A bit of small stuff too. I'd offer to help, but am basically booked until next weekend.
oldkhs

Postby ArcticRobot » October 28th, 2010, 9:03 pm

oldkhs wrote:To no suprise with the past 2 days, there is stuff down all over the place. Got off the bike 4 or 5 times to go over chainsaw material trees tonight. A bit of small stuff too. I'd offer to help, but am basically booked until next weekend.

I've been riding yesterday at night and yes - lots of fallen trees around. On Today's ride there is new huge tree fallen approx 1 mile into the trail right before first big climb.
here is the link for the image (bike thrown for the proportions).
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby oldkhs » October 28th, 2010, 9:13 pm

ArcticRobot wrote:
oldkhs wrote:To no suprise with the past 2 days, there is stuff down all over the place. Got off the bike 4 or 5 times to go over chainsaw material trees tonight. A bit of small stuff too. I'd offer to help, but am basically booked until next weekend.

I've been riding yesterday at night and yes - lots of fallen trees around. On Today's ride there is new huge tree fallen approx 1 mile into the trail right before first big climb.

How hard is the trail to see with all the leaves down?
oldkhs

Postby ArcticRobot » October 29th, 2010, 9:03 am

oldkhs wrote:
ArcticRobot wrote:

How hard is the trail to see with all the leaves down?

I had no problems seeing the trail. Even when it gets dark and I have to use light - I can still maintain sufficient speed. Highland is in much worse condition, especially loop D - but still doable.
Either push yourself, or go back to island lake. (c) iamkickstand
ArcticRobot

Postby compacted_graphite » October 29th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Trail Report for Friday October 29, 2010: As anticipated, the big wind storm has left us with several large trees blocking the mountain bike trail, requiring riders to dismount and walk/crawl around or thru. The first is at approx 1.8 mile with a very large tree and several others that it took down with it. The second is at approx 3.7 mile, the third is at approx 4.6 mile, and the last is at approx 7.8 mile. Several other blockages were cleared today with hand saw. Because the Park Staff has hibernated their summer trail crew, MMBA chain saws will be required to remove these blockages. There are also two other downed trees that can be ridden under on the two track at the end of the trail. Please be patient as we try to get chain saw crews out to work on these blockages. The first tree down is massive and may need bigger saws than the TC staff has at our disposal.

Otherwise, the trail is bone dry and full of leaves, but there is enough bike traffic to see where the trail goes. Please do use caution as the leaves will hide roots and rocks, and will become slippery especially if we get rain or heavy morning dew.

Please do not turn left at the orange arrow at the first crossing of Campground Road; mountain bikes proceed directly across the paved road. The orange arrow was placed there by another trail user group and that group has been asked by the Park Staff to remove that orange arrow.
compacted_graphite

Postby smartblast.org » November 3rd, 2010, 2:38 pm

All clear. All downed trees have been cut. Left the big one on the trail before two mile hill but it is easy to get over.
smartblast.org

Postby compacted_graphite » November 10th, 2010, 8:06 am

Trail report for Tuesday, November 9, 2010: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake is clear of all obstructions. The trail is dry but not too dusty. There are leaves on the trail but the there is plenty of bike traffic making the trail easy to follow.
compacted_graphite

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions