CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby Sortaslow » July 21st, 2013, 9:45 pm

Careful with complaints on braking bumps and fixing them. Everyone will attack you and say you are trying to dumb down the trail.
You know, they're an integral part of the trail's tech features!

I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Last edited by Sortaslow on July 21st, 2013, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sortaslow

Postby c0nsumer » July 21st, 2013, 10:03 pm

Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.

Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Spak » July 21st, 2013, 11:36 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.

Experienced people can, but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake -- leading to this. PLRA is popular with all levels of riders.

I agree on these notes. I rode PL for the first time on Saturday. There were some trees down as mentioned, but as far as the normal trail that was ridable there were a ton of spots that intimidated the *beep* out of me. I was walking for a decent amount of those first 5 miles. I have been pretty confident with my riding skills improvement, but PL really showed me that I have a ways to go until I am truly confident with my riding abilities. Of course I realize that after that storm they weren't in pristine condition, but I hope to ride them again and be able to hit some of those intimidating rocky downhill areas soon. I was able to clear most of the rooty climbs thankfully.
Spak

Postby MediumRB » July 22nd, 2013, 7:25 am

c0nsumer wrote:...but these corners scare some -- many of whom are the sort to heavily drag a rear brake...

Then you know I am innocent of this damage; no rear brake!
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby iamkickstand » July 22nd, 2013, 7:41 am

Sortaslow wrote:Careful with complaints on braking bumps and fixing them. Everyone will attack you and say you are trying to dumb down the trail.
You know, they're an integral part of the trail's tech features!

I agree on the braking bumps. They are atrocious on a rigid at PLRA. Odd thing is many are in corners where you can flow right through at high speed no brakes needed.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, and no.

Sometimes those braking bumps can turn into fun little lips to jump off of. Sometimes it is the smallest rock or root that I may find that offers the perfect lip to "gap" or "hop" over something that can make the trail that much more fun.

Even some of the braking bumps.

That said, if you brake before the bumps, you can typically roll out through them comfortably with out the bumps being that big of a deal. They'll scare the pants off you though if you come into them way to hot then try and brake while bouncing all over and trying to prepare for a turn. And by braking earlier you'll almost always come out of the turn with more momentum and less energy spent to get back up to speed after the corner.
iamkickstand

Postby chefjj » July 23rd, 2013, 9:48 pm

Does anybody know what trail conditions are like after the rain we got?
chefjj

Postby brokenbones » July 24th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Does anybody know what trail conditions are like after the rain we got?

The trail was quite nice last night. Just enough dampness in the soil to hold it together, but not slow you down. There are a few trees down in the first 2-3 miles. Some will require a chain saw IIRC. After those, the trail was completely clear of obstructions.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby gman122889 » July 24th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Trail was in great shape this afternoon. A little sandy and washed out in a few places from the rain but nothing to worry about.

Also, a little trail magic happened. On my first lap I counted 5 or 6 trees down in the first few miles...was going to mark them on my GPS on my second lap but they were gone! I was hoping to catch up to whoever was doing the work on my second lap but didn't run into anyone. Big thanks to whoever was out there clearing trees today!!
gman122889

Postby lawn dart » July 24th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Like gman said. Many of the downhills had washed-out areas, but luckily there was plenty of roots, rocks, roots, big rocks, some roots, and some loose rocks to ride over.

Plenty of places where it appeared deadfall had been recently cleared, but the trail itself was clear and fast.
lawn dart

Postby Millarmillar » July 25th, 2013, 5:51 pm

My buddies cousin broke his neck and passed away. He was 64 or 65 years old and from what my buddy says an average mt biker as best. Very sad and should be a lesson to everyone. Ride to your skill level an walk anything you are unsure of on the trail. Gods speed.

Millar
Millarmillar

Postby acidtattoo » July 26th, 2013, 3:18 pm

My condolences.
Rode today - trail is getting washed out in numerous spots. Hopefully the strong thunderstorms are done for the summer. Other than that, nothing is blocking the trail.
acidtattoo

Postby bergsteiger » July 30th, 2013, 9:03 pm

was out today, no trees down. A few mud puddles ans soft spots, most look to be working towards drying out.
Some pretty bad brake bumps in a few places.
bergsteiger

Postby gman122889 » August 3rd, 2013, 7:45 am

Rode yesterday morning. Trail was great but the usual wet spots are still out there...
gman122889

Postby compacted_graphite » August 3rd, 2013, 9:33 am

Trail conditions for Saturday, August 3, 2013: Trail is clear of obstructions as of 10 AM this morning. A few moist spots exist. Minor trail brushing occurred this morning.

There is evidence of a new route down the last drop following the fall line in the brush. While the last drop is on a sandy hill and has erosion on the trail bed, establishing a new route down the hill, especially down the fall line, is not a valid solution. A plan to armor the trail bed of that last drop has been presented to, and approved by the DNR. Planning will now proceed for a date, and for manpower, trail material (broken concrete), and perhaps machinery assistance from the DNR.

We ask all riders to observe the current route down the hill and to not shortcut thru the brush. Further degradation of this hill will result in closure of the top of the last climb, per the DNR. This TC has placed some downed Autumn Olive trees (an evasive species of plant, per the DNR) on the shortcut.
compacted_graphite

Postby ihateplaindave » August 5th, 2013, 10:24 am

Found a CO2 tire inflator on Sunday. PM w/ description me if you lost it.
ihateplaindave

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments