CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby str8flush24 » October 2nd, 2010, 8:09 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
b_b wrote:Yeah that thing has "shoot this mother beep" written all over it...
"Your honor it was self defense I had to do it to save my eyes..."

It almost looks to me like inmate garb.

That said, if I see it on Chainlove and it's $20 or $30, I'll be very tempted to get it.

Couldnt pass it up at 24.49.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby KLydesdale » October 2nd, 2010, 9:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about getting shot by hunters while wearing that jersey.... They'll be laughing too hard to aim straight. :P

Seriously though.... if you're concerned about safety in hunting season, you really should wear something in the hunter blaze orange color. It's the accepted hunter safety color and they're keyed into watching out for it.
KLydesdale

Postby Bellock » October 3rd, 2010, 12:42 pm

Anyone ride today. Is it real wet out there?
Bellock

Postby str8flush24 » October 3rd, 2010, 6:28 pm

Its in great shape. Only two or three spots on the whole trail that are still a little muddy.
str8flush24

Postby oldkhs » October 3rd, 2010, 6:58 pm

Agree - great ride tonight. Orange t-shirt and all. Saw 3 hunters walking on the trail 2 seconds after i heard a little bang. They missed something.

That was it, saw 1 rider taking a break partway thru 1st half.
oldkhs

Postby tagheuer02 » October 6th, 2010, 8:20 am

what exactly is the deal with the hunting?

Has deer season officially started? It was my understanding that most of SE Michigan (i.e. zone 1) is a rifle free zone, you can only hunt with shotguns, muzzleloaders and certain small pistols....because places like Pontiac Lake are in pretty populated areas and high powered rifle bullets can travel a long way.

So what kind of guns are people allowed to hunt with in Pontiac Lake, and are they hunting deer now?
Brandon Buck, Assistant Director of Advocacy for MMBA
tagheuer02

Postby str8flush24 » October 6th, 2010, 9:49 am

I dont know exactly what type of guns are allowed. Deer season is open as of last Friday for bow hunting only right now. Gun is open for small game only. I believe they are rifles but dont know for sure. I dont think you can shoot small game with anything too high powered as it would just blow it to pieces. When I rode Sunday I heard a few shots but saw no hunters. There is a gun range on Gale Rd so some of the shots could have been from that.
str8flush24

Postby gearswhatgears » October 6th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Its bow season now, (or crossbow as they are now legal) and there will be bowhunters out at PL around dusk. (not many though) They are gone by dark usually which makes for some awesome night laps. I usually just ride the back roads during the week not to deal with it, and save the weekends for the trails.

When gun season starts you will find a few out there, but its shotguns and muzzle loaders down here. Think you have to be north of US-10 for rifles.
gearswhatgears

Postby compacted_graphite » October 9th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Trail report for Saturday October 9, 2010: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake Recreation Area is open and in good condition. The trail was completely dry today, but not too dusty. You might notice some trail markings starting at trail junction signpost 5 (where the bike trail crosses the bridle trail). Some other trail user group has painted rocks and boulders orange to set up some kind of a trail course. The paint on the bike trail stops with a big orange arrow pointing trail users left onto the bridle trail at Campground Road. I spoke to a park official today and he said that the trail user group that put the orange paint out there will be working to remove them shortly, although the paint looks semi-permanent. Mountain Bikes are not authorized to make the left turn onto the bridle trail per the orange arrow.

I believe that deer hunters now can only use bow and arrow, but small game hunters may use guns. Small game hunters might be able to use small bore rifles (.22) but only in accordance with DNR regulations.
compacted_graphite

Postby blacksword » October 10th, 2010, 12:39 pm

gearswhatgears wrote:Its bow season now, (or crossbow as they are now legal) and there will be bowhunters out at PL around dusk. (not many though) They are gone by dark usually which makes for some awesome night laps. I usually just ride the back roads during the week not to deal with it, and save the weekends for the trails.

When gun season starts you will find a few out there, but its shotguns and muzzle loaders down here. Think you have to be north of US-10 for rifles.

There will be far more hunters on PLRA during the weekend days, than weekdays. You would probably do better to switch that around. Ride the trail weekdays, and ride the backroads on the weekends--- IF you feel this is even necessary, which it isn't. Also, they are more likely to be hunting from 30-45 before sunrise until 9ish and from 430 or 5 until 30 minutes after legal sunset.
Simply because hunters may be in the woods, does not make it more dangerous to ride.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby blacksword » October 10th, 2010, 12:40 pm

compacted_graphite wrote:Trail report for Saturday October 9, 2010: the mountain bike trail at Pontiac Lake Recreation Area is open and in good condition. The trail was completely dry today, but not too dusty. You might notice some trail markings starting at trail junction signpost 5 (where the bike trail crosses the bridle trail). Some other trail user group has painted rocks and boulders orange to set up some kind of a trail course. The paint on the bike trail stops with a big orange arrow pointing trail users left onto the bridle trail at Campground Road. I spoke to a park official today and he said that the trail user group that put the orange paint out there will be working to remove them shortly, although the paint looks semi-permanent. Mountain Bikes are not authorized to make the left turn onto the bridle trail per the orange arrow.

I believe that deer hunters now can only use bow and arrow, but small game hunters may use guns. Small game hunters might be able to use small bore rifles (.22) but only in accordance with DNR regulations.

Small game hunters can use shotguns as well. But, this is no reason to avoid riding. Ride like normal, just wear brighter clothing. It's not even an issue at dusk, because deer don't clang around and typically don't use headlights.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby blacksword » October 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm

tagheuer02 wrote:what exactly is the deal with the hunting?

Has deer season officially started? It was my understanding that most of SE Michigan (i.e. zone 1) is a rifle free zone, you can only hunt with shotguns, muzzleloaders and certain small pistols....because places like Pontiac Lake are in pretty populated areas and high powered rifle bullets can travel a long way.

So what kind of guns are people allowed to hunt with in Pontiac Lake, and are they hunting deer now?

The deal is, its hunting season. Small game has started, along with fowl, and bow deer. Shotguns and small bore rifle may be seen while riding, don't let this dissuade you from riding though. Many, if not all of the hunters I have encountered are very nice and some will even talk with you quietly. If you are concerned, wear brighter clothing and try to ride mid-day. Really though, I don't see an issue with riding during hunting season.
blacksword

Postby laurent_boullin » October 10th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Rode Pontiac for the first time this year. Not sure if I am getting that old, or my back can't really take it anymore (hardtail), but I found it in rough condition. Lot's of erosion
laurent_boullin

Postby oldkhs » October 10th, 2010, 9:50 pm

What would be a close trail that is somewhat similar to Pontiac?
oldkhs

Postby KLydesdale » October 10th, 2010, 10:06 pm

blacksword wrote:Really though, I don't see an issue with riding during hunting season.

If you've ever had bullets/pellets fly through leaves over your head while riding, I'd bet you'd see an issue with it. That has happened to my ride group twice at PLRA during small game season and, let me tell you, it's a very disconcerting experience. I still don't know if it was accidental or if a hunter was trying to throw a scare into us. Both those incidents occurred mid-day on a weekend so we avoid riding there at that time nowadays. FWIW, I was wearing a blaze orange safety vest.
KLydesdale

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions