CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby kaysee » July 10th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Any afternoon riders with updates on the conditions?
kaysee

Postby champ128 » July 10th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I did not get out there today,but we did not get any rain today. It sprinkled fora couple minutes, but nothing more than that. We did get a fair amount last night, by I think it's probably fine.
champ128

Postby compacted_graphite » July 11th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Trail conditions for Thursday, July 11, 2013: Tree and brush adjustments were conducted by a trail crew this morning. The trail is free from obstuctions at this time. There are several small mud puddles that will dry up in the next couple of days. The trail has no moon dust due to recent rains. The trail remains very brushy.
compacted_graphite

Postby champ128 » July 14th, 2013, 9:44 am

TRail was in good shape. there are sections that have a lot of knee slappers, and the trail is it's typical post rain loose self. I like it, but if it's not your thing, stay away.
champ128

Postby compacted_graphite » July 16th, 2013, 11:16 am

Trail conditions for Tuesday July 16, 2013: three miles of trail in open sections were trimmed yesterday by a trail crew (Dave B. Craig C., Billy G., and Homey) between approximately mile 5 and 6, and between approximately mile 8 and 10. More is planned, but crews may take a day or two to rehydrate before continuing. Previous comment about trail is true - it has dried out and become dusty/loose and has large sand pits.

Anyone wishing to tackle canopy trimming with nipper/pruners, please do, and let us know what sections you accomplish. Canopy is intruding on trail just after the first left turn on the left hand side before you enter the woods, then a little further before junction sign 3, then again mile 3.2ish before the first equestrian crossing, then on the left side of the trail in the open pasture mile 3.5ish, then several sections between paved campground road and the airplane field, and is severely brushy just after Orr Road area.
compacted_graphite

Postby MediumRB » July 20th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Rode this afternoon. A lot of new features to the trail. I got rid of what I could with my folding saw for the first mile, then was more judicious about when I stopped (so many opportunities!). There are at least four major trees that will need chainsaw work, but some fell across the trail in ways that I liked and are not imminently dangerous. The very end had some serious washout: the last little climb to the tip top falls apart into mush, then the descent just disappears all of a sudden and may need a re-cut...or now we have a dropoff after your head is swimming and you are seeing little white spots.

If I get out tomorrow, I will bring a limb saw and folding spade. Any others who want to help, the trail could use it.
No poison ivy yet, but bug spray is a good idea.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby ilikenature » July 20th, 2013, 8:48 pm

I was out in the morning and the trail was closed due to a "medical emergency"....anyone know what happened?

Sent from my Razr HD using Tapatalk 2
ilikenature

Postby thejode » July 20th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Someone I know said a guy had a heart attack. That's all I know-
thejode

Postby KLydesdale » July 20th, 2013, 9:30 pm

MediumRB wrote:No poison ivy yet,

I dunno about that... I'm seeing quite a bit of it along the side of the trail in spots it's been in past years.
KLydesdale

Postby iamkickstand » July 20th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Rumor I heard was a guy died, helmet embedded with rocks. I don't however trust my source at all.
iamkickstand

Postby thejode » July 21st, 2013, 10:21 am

I'm going out to trim some of the higher overgrowth so I don't have to duck. I'll start at Campground Road and go until I get bored or done. I'll report back in what I get done.
thejode

Postby thejode » July 21st, 2013, 10:23 am

I'm going out to trim some of the higher overgrowth so I don't have to duck. I'll start at Campground Road and go until I get bored or done. I'll report back on what I get done.
thejode

Postby smartblast.org » July 21st, 2013, 3:12 pm

Please post if chainsaw is needed.
smartblast.org

Postby thejode » July 21st, 2013, 3:42 pm

I got the second half ok. No more face slappers. The first half looks like someone already did it.

Chainsaw needed. 2 tree entanglements and 4 trees down in the first half. Nothing in the second half.

Overall the trail is in bad shape. Gullies, sand and loose rocks are making it rough. It could use some TLC. I think a trail day is in order.

That is all.
thejode

Postby bitterrider » July 21st, 2013, 9:34 pm

Today was the first time I rode here since the tailwind race, agreed the trail needs some love. It was more punishing then fun. Might be alright with suspension but it beat me up riding rigid. I like to put in 3 laps there but I was exhausted after 2. I think this trail has really deteriorated over the last few years. Every decent or fast corner is just braking bumps, people need to learn how to use thier brakes properly. Lemme know if theres a trail day if Im available I would be more than happy to help.
bitterrider

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments