CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby Sortaslow » September 24th, 2010, 6:57 am

What is everyone riding on this trail? I'm looking to get a newer bike, and think I've ruled out 26" hardtail, and am looking for 29er or full suspension to take some of the bumps out. Although I'm not 100% sure that the few rough spots are worth losing the efficieny & agility the 26"HT seems to have. I will be riding this trail 90% of the time with the bike.

Does anyone think a 29er makes much difference on this trail?

Thanks.

People ride 26 ht, 26 fs, 29 ht, 29 fs, 29 full rigid, 29 ss... Just about anything goes here. What do you like and what experience do you want to have? A well designed fs is not inefficient. They will be slightly heavier than rigid though, but heck even a bike like a Superfly 100 or Santa Cruz Tall Boy are much lighter than my 26 hardtail Cannondale F3. And those are 29 fs!

You'll get a ton of opinion of "what you should ride". You could always wait for a demo day one of the bike shops put on, but that may be a wait until next year.

I am most happy to ride my 29 ht or my absolute favorite is my 29 fs. That bike always brings a smile to my face. People see that on the trails and always say "Isn't that a bit much for michigan?" Maybe, but I love riding it. And I never touch the 26 anymore no matter how tight the trail. The girlfriend has to ride that now.

See.... it's all opinion.
Sortaslow

Postby oldkhs » September 24th, 2010, 7:54 am

Sortaslow wrote:
What is everyone riding on this trail? I'm looking to get a newer bike, and think I've ruled out 26" hardtail, and am looking for 29er or full suspension to take some of the bumps out. Although I'm not 100% sure that the few rough spots are worth losing the efficieny & agility the 26"HT seems to have. I will be riding this trail 90% of the time with the bike.

Does anyone think a 29er makes much difference on this trail?

Thanks.

People ride 26 ht, 26 fs, 29 ht, 29 fs, 29 full rigid, 29 ss... Just about anything goes here. What do you like and what experience do you want to have? A well designed fs is not inefficient. They will be slightly heavier than rigid though, but heck even a bike like a Superfly 100 or Santa Cruz Tall Boy are much lighter than my 26 hardtail Cannondale F3. And those are 29 fs!

You'll get a ton of opinion of "what you should ride". You could always wait for a demo day one of the bike shops put on, but that may be a wait until next year.

I am most happy to ride my 29 ht or my absolute favorite is my 29 fs. That bike always brings a smile to my face. People see that on the trails and always say "Isn't that a bit much for michigan?" Maybe, but I love riding it. And I never touch the 26 anymore no matter how tight the trail. The girlfriend has to ride that now.

See.... it's all opinion.

My 26 HT isn't too bad, but needs too many things done to get to where I want it. Plus, I think my back is not happy at the end of the trail - so I'm looking for FS or bigger tires. I rode a fair deal 13 yrs ago in similar terrain, and just started again a few weeks ago. I feel confident in my lines and style to some extent, just need some more practice. I'm at about 55 minutes around the loop now (no idea if this is good or bad, just figured it gives perspective on how I ride?). Not sure if I will get to 50 or not... I'm looking for fitness and fun more than qualifying for a race or anything though. One of the bikes I'm looking at is a Trek FS with the propulse, so it sounds as if I shouldn't lose much effeciency.

Yeah, hoping to do something prior to demo days in the spring, unless I can't find a decent fit/ride/deal now, I'll nurse the old beast a while longer.
oldkhs

Postby oldkhs » September 24th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Any other thoughts on 29er vs 26FS for pontiac? Riding a 26FS at island lake tomorrow to see how it rides.
oldkhs

Trees Down This Evening

Postby brokenbones » September 24th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Tree down across trail at mile 6.3, top of the climb after the wooden bridge, right at the start of the sweeping RH benchcut. It's a tangle of large oak branches that you have to climb through. This one is probably a chainsaw job. Also a small chest-high road block of dead tree and vine crossing the access road after the trail exit. High enough to duck under, but not ride under.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby b_b » September 25th, 2010, 10:44 am

Had such a great time last week I hit it again today and trail is great. Only saw one group of 3 guys and 2 hikers and only a few cars in the parking lot when I left at 10:30. I guess some people don't like cooler temps, but I LOVE it! Oh and I do appreciate my FS on this trail, so I think if you're just riding and not racing then FS is nice to have.
b_b

Postby TheGoose » September 25th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Love the re-route at mile 8 - I had a bad accident there earlier in the summer. Thanks!
TheGoose

Postby Tom L. » September 25th, 2010, 4:07 pm

TheGoose wrote:Love the re-route at mile 8 - I had a bad accident there earlier in the summer. Thanks!

Did you p**p you pants? :lol:
Tom L.

Postby utabintarbo » September 25th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Tom L. wrote:
TheGoose wrote:Love the re-route at mile 8 - I had a bad accident there earlier in the summer. Thanks!

Did you p**p you pants? :lol:

It is no surprise that you would assume this type of accident.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby MikeBl » September 25th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Trail was in great shape this afternoon, temps were cool but still condusive to wearing shorts. Beware of jagged rocks about 3.0 - 3.5 miles in, rode fairly aggressive and as soon as I went through that particular section I thought to myself " ripped another tube, flat tire" :roll: , within seemingly one minute my rear tube was gone. Great ride besides that.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby blacksword » September 25th, 2010, 7:56 pm

MikeBl wrote:Trail was in great shape this afternoon, temps were cool but still condusive to wearing shorts. Beware of jagged rocks about 3.0 - 3.5 miles in, rode fairly aggressive and as soon as I went through that particular section I thought to myself " ripped another tube, flat tire" :roll: , within seemingly one minute my rear tube was gone. Great ride besides that.

Time to run a little more air pressure.
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby b_b » September 25th, 2010, 10:52 pm

blacksword wrote:
MikeBl wrote:Trail was in great shape this afternoon, temps were cool but still condusive to wearing shorts. Beware of jagged rocks about 3.0 - 3.5 miles in, rode fairly aggressive and as soon as I went through that particular section I thought to myself " ripped another tube, flat tire" :roll: , within seemingly one minute my rear tube was gone. Great ride besides that.

Time to run a little more air pressure.

Or don't hit jagged rocks :) I think I know the one and I hit it too until I figured out a better line.
b_b

Postby str8flush24 » September 27th, 2010, 1:22 pm

anyone see any hunters out there over the last few days?
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby TheGoose » September 27th, 2010, 1:58 pm

When I rode late yesterday afternoon, I saw what looked like quite a few shell casings on the trail (in addition to horse s***). There's nothing worse than climbing one of the harder hills (for PLRA) and wondering if you are going to do a spin out on horse s***.
TheGoose

Postby chris f. » September 27th, 2010, 2:34 pm

I passed a group of about 3 or 4 hunters on the final climb before the trail exit. That was around 5:45pm yesterday.
chris f.

Postby chris f. » September 27th, 2010, 3:21 pm

I also passed a downed tree about 100 yds. before the big "S" curve on the back-half. It wasn't so big that I couldn't climb through it. It looks like you're going to need a saw to get it out though.
chris f.

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions