CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby TomE. » June 12th, 2013, 8:12 am

Was out there yesterday. A few muddy spots in the low areas, otherwise it was in pretty good shape.
TomE.

Postby luke000 » June 12th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Any word on how much rain Pontiac Lake has seen out there today? Thinking about running up for a quick lap or two later tonight if the trail is in good shape.
luke000

Postby johnboy » June 12th, 2013, 4:55 pm

luke000 wrote:Any word on how much rain Pontiac Lake has seen out there today? Thinking about running up for a quick lap or two later tonight if the trail is in good shape.

I live 2 miles from there. so far just sprinkles today, nothing more than a dust buster...
johnboy

Postby smartblast.org » June 12th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Did some face slapper trimming today. Trail was still a little damp and greasy in some areas. Almost pasted a couple kids going the wrong way on a downhill section of the trail as the brush is so thick. Had I not been trimming and going slow someone would have gotten hurt.

They were coming from the campground going to the beach. There response about going the wrong way was that "There were no signs". Went to the park office (third year in a row for the same thing) asking for some signage. TC's have put some signs up but DNR keeps removing because it is not "official". If anyone else feels the need for a "Wrong way Bikes" sign or has had a similar experience you can call the office at (248) 666-1020.
smartblast.org

Postby luke000 » June 12th, 2013, 10:54 pm

luke000 wrote:Any word on how much rain Pontiac Lake has seen out there today? Thinking about running up for a quick lap or two later tonight if the trail is in good shape.

Did not end up going tonight, good thing looks like weather turned. But as I was leaving buddy called and said he was out because his rear brake blew a seal :x Oh well some other time
luke000

Postby oldkhs » June 13th, 2013, 11:58 am

~1.5" rain overnight. May be a bit wet for a day or two, depending how many puddles you want to hit.
oldkhs

Postby Critter7r » June 13th, 2013, 1:00 pm

smartblast.org wrote:Did some face slapper trimming today. Trail was still a little damp and greasy in some areas. Almost pasted a couple kids going the wrong way on a downhill section of the trail as the brush is so thick. Had I not been trimming and going slow someone would have gotten hurt.

They were coming from the campground going to the beach. There response about going the wrong way was that "There were no signs". Went to the park office (third year in a row for the same thing) asking for some signage. TC's have put some signs up but DNR keeps removing because it is not "official". If anyone else feels the need for a "Wrong way Bikes" sign or has had a similar experience you can call the office at (248) 666-1020.

What's more "official" than an MMBA TC putting up a sign on an MMBA trail?
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby utabintarbo » June 13th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Critter7r wrote:
smartblast.org wrote:Did some face slapper trimming today. Trail was still a little damp and greasy in some areas. Almost pasted a couple kids going the wrong way on a downhill section of the trail as the brush is so thick. Had I not been trimming and going slow someone would have gotten hurt.

The DNR putting up essentially the same sign. Such is the bureaucratic mindset.... :roll:
utabintarbo

Postby KLydesdale » June 13th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Critter7r wrote:

The MMBA is an organization which neither owns the land the trail is on nor has any authority to determine rules and regulations for the users of that trail. So how can a sign installed by a representative of that organization be "official" at all?
KLydesdale

Postby Critter7r » June 14th, 2013, 5:57 am

KLydesdale wrote:The MMBA is an organization which neither owns the land the trail is on nor has any authority to determine rules and regulations for the users of that trail. So how can a sign installed by a representative of that organization be "official" at all?

My bad ... I thought that the TCs were recognized in some way as stewards of the trail on the land that the DNR oversees, and that they were empowered with some sort of authority.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Jim O » June 14th, 2013, 6:16 am

Critter7r wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:The MMBA is an organization which neither owns the land the trail is on nor has any authority to determine rules and regulations for the users of that trail. So how can a sign installed by a representative of that organization be "official" at all?

My bad ... I thought that the TCs were recognized in some way as stewards of the trail on the land that the DNR oversees, and that they were empowered with some sort of authority.

Depends on the individual State Land Manager and their cooperation with the IMBA TC. We have some great communication/cooperation with some of the State Land Managers and others not so good.
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby utabintarbo » June 14th, 2013, 7:10 am

mmba6862 wrote:
Critter7r wrote:

Depends on the individual State Land Manager and their cooperation with the IMBA TC. We have some great communication/cooperation with some of the State Land Managers and others not so good.

This. There is great variability in what each Park Superintendent will do, and in what they will allow us to do, even though they are all under the same overall organization. Every park is a "different world" in many ways. Keeps life interesting, y'know. :D
utabintarbo

Postby MediumRB » June 14th, 2013, 8:45 am

I'm riding PLRA this afternoon. Bringing my clippers and folding saw to do some clean up.

I will also bring 32 trail direction signs that I hand carved out of the stoutest oak to quell my frustration over the preceding discussion.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby utabintarbo » June 14th, 2013, 9:13 am

MediumRB wrote:I'm riding PLRA this afternoon. Bringing my clippers and folding saw to do some clean up.

I will also bring 32 trail direction signs that I hand carved out of the stoutest oak to quell my frustration over the preceding discussion.

We could use some of both over at Addison, but I'm not sure OCP would approve. Such is the exciting life of a TC. :roll:

:wink: :lol:
utabintarbo

Postby MediumRB » June 14th, 2013, 5:24 pm

All is pretty good at PLRA today. A few muddy puddles, but they can be avoided. A bigger tree is down at mile 7.5, but I sawed off branches to open an option.
Another low fallen trunk out there, but I cannot remember where (after road crossing but before mile 7?)...it is avoidable but will need attention.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments