CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby Nelg » September 11th, 2010, 10:06 pm

brokenbones wrote:It was a clump of 3 trunks Wednesday evening. Last night it was down to 1, as someone was able to break/drag 2 of the trunks out of the way. The last one is maybe a 4 incher that really doesn't need a chain saw. I was going to bring a folding saw with me next time I go. Today I went to Poto instead, so I didn't do it yet. Maybe I should have, because it started to rain harder and harder the closer we got to Pinckney. No ride today. Rats.

Yeah, we were able to break two out of the way, but I didn't have my handsaw in my Hydrapack to score and break the last one. It's going to need a chain saw or a good handsaw and some muscle.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby oldkhs » September 13th, 2010, 7:47 pm

Nelg wrote:
brokenbones wrote:It was a clump of 3 trunks Wednesday evening. Last night it was down to 1, as someone was able to break/drag 2 of the trunks out of the way. The last one is maybe a 4 incher that really doesn't need a chain saw. I was going to bring a folding saw with me next time I go. Today I went to Poto instead, so I didn't do it yet. Maybe I should have, because it started to rain harder and harder the closer we got to Pinckney. No ride today. Rats.

Yeah, we were able to break two out of the way, but I didn't have my handsaw in my Hydrapack to score and break the last one. It's going to need a chain saw or a good handsaw and some muscle.

Thanks to whoever finished the job. Rode tonight, and made it right past.
oldkhs

Postby compacted_graphite » September 14th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Trail report for Tuesday morning September 14, 2010 - three tree or branch obstructions were removed last evening: one just short of two mile hill climb; one at the base of the climb out of the corkscrew/gully (roughly mile 7), and one on the ridge at around 7 3/4 mile. Trail is in very dry condition but did see some settling of all of the moondust due to last Saturday's rain. More rain is expected this Thursday and will help consolidate the trail. Trail gnome work has smoothed out some of the chunky rocky downhills on the south side of the park (miles 2 thru 3.5).
compacted_graphite

Postby str8flush24 » September 15th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Looks like the large boulder right at the beginning of the climb after the switch back was removed too. Not so hard to make it through that section without bailing anymore.
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby smartblast.org » September 18th, 2010, 10:25 am

5"-8" tree across trail on one of the downhills after the big climb (between mile 1 and 2?). You can stay to the left and duck to get under it but it will need to be chainsawed out. Tried the new reroute at the next last downhill that is so washed-out and it was a nice improvement. Liked the way it flowed back into the trail.
smartblast.org

Postby b_b » September 19th, 2010, 2:51 pm

pharus wrote:I rode the trail for the first time today. There are 3 hills that I didn't make it up, at the 2 mile mark, the 7 mile mark (right after the switchbacks) and around 9 mile at the end. I liked the mix of technical stuff with the stretches of flowing curves. Other than not having the right line/gearing/speed/energy to make it up all the hills, I thought the trail was very ride-able, and a nice length at 10 miles.

pharus wrote:So I am curious, can you good riders out there make all the hills out there? Are there any that you routinely have to walk up (so I won't feel so bad)...

Trail was outstanding today. I've not rode plra in a while so did not comment, but here I go . First I know damp conditions today made the hills easier. That 2 mile hill is a grinder and winds me good, but nothing too hard other than the workout and sorta need to pace yourself. The rest of the hills are not bad, but just need to hit them with speed. That off-camber hill is not bad if can hit it fast and fly up the first steep section. Same can be said for the hill that makes a hard right. You really need to attack the hills. I think plra really rewards faster riding and punishes slower riding. Getting up most of the hills is all about momentum. Highland is a different story.
b_b

Postby Bellock » September 21st, 2010, 10:55 am

The trail is in good shape, a little more tacky than a few weeks ago. The work that has been done on the trail has paid off. Nice job? Be careful of the tree down just after the first big climb at about 1.5 - 2 mile mark. You can ride under the tree on the left side.
Bellock

Postby ihateplaindave » September 21st, 2010, 12:23 pm

"Be careful of the tree down just after the first big climb at about 1.5 - 2 mile mark. You can ride under the tree on the left side."

Nice trail feature. Leave the tree.
ihateplaindave

Postby onlycrimson » September 22nd, 2010, 12:41 am

ihateplaindave wrote:"Be careful of the tree down just after the first big climb at about 1.5 - 2 mile mark. You can ride under the tree on the left side."

Nice trail feature. Leave the tree.

err, its a bit low and in a bad place.
onlycrimson

Postby ihateplaindave » September 22nd, 2010, 7:29 am

However, it's definitely rideable.
ihateplaindave

Postby risnewski » September 23rd, 2010, 7:41 pm

There is a new line forming that cuts across the downhill switch back in the Chute. I suspect it's going to be a real erosion problem. Might wanna head it off soon.
risnewski

Postby risnewski » September 23rd, 2010, 7:42 pm

ihateplaindave wrote:However, it's definitely rideable.

But a momentum killer...
risnewski

Postby b_b » September 23rd, 2010, 10:38 pm

risnewski wrote:
ihateplaindave wrote:However, it's definitely rideable.

But a momentum killer...

No not really, but agree someone not so good at ducking could get knocked silly.
b_b

Postby oldkhs » September 24th, 2010, 6:27 am

What is everyone riding on this trail? I'm looking to get a newer bike, and think I've ruled out 26" hardtail, and am looking for 29er or full suspension to take some of the bumps out. Although I'm not 100% sure that the few rough spots are worth losing the efficieny & agility the 26"HT seems to have. I will be riding this trail 90% of the time with the bike.

Does anyone think a 29er makes much difference on this trail?

Thanks.
oldkhs

Postby daffunda » September 24th, 2010, 6:49 am

I think 29rs are ideal for Pontiac Lake, since most of the trail is fast flowing corners and momentum hills. (Places like Novi, Bloomer, Grubers, I think 26 is ideal, with tight twistys) I ride my 26 FS bike there, and never my hardtail. Unfortunately, only way I can do a 29r is to go custom, since I'm short.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions