CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

Postby compacted_graphite » April 30th, 2013, 11:31 am

There will be mountain bike trail maintenance day at Pontiac Lake State Recreation Area on Saturday, May 4, 2013. People wanting to assist in maintenance of the trails should meet at the trail head by the beach at 9 AM sharp. We will sign waivers and proceed to parts of the trail that we will work on. Primary items to be worked on will be drainage improvements, including the right hand turn at mile post 6. Volunteers should wear sturdy shoes, long pants, and bring leather gloves, drinking water, and safety glasses. No previous experience is necessary. Volunteers will need to have a park pass for the day or have a recreational passport on their license plate. We will like to be completed by 1:30-2:00ish.
compacted_graphite

Postby MediumRB » May 1st, 2013, 10:14 am

Did a lap this morning...kept my tracks to a minimum, I hope. There are a dozen puddles and slick spots, but no tree hazards. Tread lightly and/or wait until tomorrow, if you can.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby MtnBikerMi » May 1st, 2013, 5:22 pm

Trail is in great shape, afternoon of sun did wonders. Only spot to hike the bike is the mud hole after the airfield. I think by tomorrow afternoon even this will be rideable.
MtnBikerMi

Postby oldkhs » May 3rd, 2013, 5:34 pm

Awesome today. Hippo lake is gone but still soft. Thanks to whoever made the log and ladder bridge.

Lets get a good turnout tomorrow am....
oldkhs

Postby compacted_graphite » May 5th, 2013, 7:05 pm

A trail maintenance day was conducted on Saturday, May 4, 2013. Drainage improvements were done from the trail crossing at Campground Road (mile 4.2) to the decked wet land crossing at mile 6.2. The main project was to move the trail bed slightly to the right on the inside of the curve at mile 6. The trail tread now slopes to the outside of the curve, allowing water that drains down the trail from above to drain to the outside of the trail, rather than collect on the inside of the curve. Thanks to Dave Tuomala, Guy Nutter, Ben Reinech, Craig Chynoweth, Gary Harrington, and Brian Ferrari for spending the time working on the trail.
compacted_graphite

Postby ihateplaindave » May 6th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Thanks to Dave Tuomala, Guy Nutter, Ben Reinech, Craig Chynoweth, Gary Harrington, and Brian Ferrari for spending the time working on the trail.

+1. And thanks to compacted_graphite. Trail was awesome on Sunday. So much fun, I'm going back out today.
ihateplaindave

Cyclotherapy girl

Postby sdycha » May 6th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Nice riding with you on Saturday. Hope I didn't slow you down.
sdycha

Postby Mr Wonderful » May 8th, 2013, 9:24 am

An orienteering meet on Saturday 12-3:30 will have some folks hiking a bit on the start and end of the loop. I will remind them to watch for bikes. You may have a few more random trail crossers elsewhere, again towards the beginning and end of the trail. If you are curious, stop by the timing table and I can show you the zones most likely to have extra people.
Mr Wonderful

Postby compacted_graphite » May 10th, 2013, 9:48 am

Trail report for Thursday afternoon, May 9, 2013: trail is in great shape, maybe getting a little dusty in spots. Rain expected over the first part of the weekend. Pontiac Lake trail system drains pretty quickly. No obstructions on trail. Coyote crossed trail in front of us just after the RC airplane field.
compacted_graphite

Postby abbeytrails » May 10th, 2013, 11:50 am

compacted_graphite wrote:Trail report for Thursday afternoon, May 9, 2013: trail is in great shape, maybe getting a little dusty in spots. Rain expected over the first part of the weekend. Pontiac Lake trail system drains pretty quickly. No obstructions on trail. Coyote crossed trail in front of us just after the RC airplane field.

That is one healthy looking Coyote...I saw him yesterday after the first road crossing, he crossed about 3ft in front of me, then when the trail doubled back, he was in the tall grass staring at me. I was going to stop to take a photo but, like you said, the trail was just too darn nice to really slow down! :lol:
abbeytrails

Postby Jim O » May 10th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I would be cautious. Unusual to see in the middle of the day!
Jim O

Postby oldkhs » May 11th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Great shape today. Only one or two small puddles.
oldkhs

Postby breuter » May 12th, 2013, 10:58 am

About 1/2 Mile prior to the 8 marker, there is a large tree down across the trail, too large for 2 people to move. as of 5/11
breuter

Postby ihateplaindave » May 14th, 2013, 10:13 am

Tree still there after the mud hole with log bridge. Small hand saw would do it.
ihateplaindave

Postby compacted_graphite » May 14th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Trail report for Tuesday, May 14, 2013: tree laying on trail at mile 7.5ish has been adjusted. Thanks to bike rider Doug for assisting the TC in sawing and pushing the tree remnants out of the way. Trail brush was also adjusted today. Trail is completely dry and unobstructed. It is dry enough now that the sandy parts of the trail are sandy again. The last drop is loose.
compacted_graphite

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments