CRAMBA: Pontiac Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Pontiac Lake

Postby pharus » August 30th, 2010, 10:51 am

amadkins wrote:By no means am I a good rider, but I can usually make all the climbs. Granted, at 265 lbs I have to stop at the top of the two mile hill to avoid throwing up.

When I was at that weight, I remember quite often getting to the top of the hill and trying not to throw up! I've had lapband surgery, so now I am in the 180s, its much easier to ride at that weight. But if you can make all the climbs at 265, you must have a lot of power.

Thanks everyone for the tips on climbing the hills, I hope to do better next time.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby r21954 » August 30th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Pontiac lake was perfect tonight, just the way I like it, fast, dry and slick. One of the people in our group of 5 did a face plant at the bottom of a big down hill. 3 of us blocked the trail to protect her while she tried to gather her self while a guy at the top of the hill warned people of the incident at the bottom of the hill. Along come some no d--k ricky racer and bashed right through everyone and nearly run over the girl, shouting he doesn't stop for anything. That kind of crap doesn't belong on the trails. Someday when he's laying in the trail may the good Samaritan pass him bye. As a trail cordinator I put put hundreds of volunteer hours on the trails and people like that sicken me, they put nothing in and only take. Sorry just venting; Ron
r21954

Postby c0nsumer » August 30th, 2010, 11:01 pm

r21954 wrote:Sorry just venting; Ron

No need to apologize for being upset at an asshat.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » August 31st, 2010, 5:52 am

Was he wearing latex or spandex?

Roy
Roy

Postby r21954 » August 31st, 2010, 7:08 pm

pantyhose without a liner and no need for one
r21954

Postby daffunda » September 1st, 2010, 7:03 am

I sure hope that db wasn't on some team. I hope anyone on a team won't do something like that.

I would've followed him to the parking lot and gave him a sarcastic thumbs up for being an *beep*.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby CWPspeed3 » September 2nd, 2010, 3:06 pm

b_b wrote:
daffunda wrote:You do realize that trail is nowhere near the condition it was earlier this season. It is pretty badly eroded right now.

You might also try lower pressure and/or new tires for these dry loose conditions. I am sliding all over the place too and I'm running dangerously low pressure. I'm going to try new tires, but don't know if will help.

i have noticed its getting really bad in some areas. i have since lowered my tire pressure and will keep trying lower pressures. that doesnt help me clipping trees with my handle bars though. ill give the trail a try again after i mess with the settings and get used to a FS bike.
2010 Stumpjumper FSR
CWPspeed3

Postby TheGoose » September 4th, 2010, 9:21 am

Rode the trail this morning. It is in great shape -- the rain really helped. I did very little sliding in the corners compared with the past couple of weeks.

But, there is a log/ tree down at about mile 3.9 -- so watch out.
TheGoose

Postby oldkhs » September 6th, 2010, 8:08 am

We got a bit of rain last night, light drizzle I think (heavy sleeper). Should the trail still be OK to ride? I'm not concerned about me or the bike, just don't know if there is an unwritten rule as to not trash the trail?
oldkhs

Postby redwoods22 » September 6th, 2010, 1:45 pm

trail was awesome this morning (about 30 minutes after the rain stopped).. just damp enough back there to keep the dust down and give you some extra traction on the down hills..
redwoods22

Postby oldkhs » September 6th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Agree - I rode this morning too, very nice, set my new record time, I'll give the credit to new tires (old ones were about 15 yrs).
oldkhs

Postby MtnBikerMi » September 8th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Tree down right at the bottom of the off camber climb after the switchbacks. Catches you by surprise after you built up your speeed to make it up the hill!
MtnBikerMi

Postby oldkhs » September 11th, 2010, 7:15 pm

MtnBikerMi wrote:Tree down right at the bottom of the off camber climb after the switchbacks. Catches you by surprise after you built up your speeed to make it up the hill!

Saw that earlier. Is there a good access point to walk in w/a chainsaw to fix that? Which way is that from the RC airplane field? I may be able to help with that, just need to know best way to get there. Walk from White Lk road?
oldkhs

Postby MtnBikerMi » September 11th, 2010, 7:49 pm

It's after the airfield, not sure of a shortcut to get there though.
MtnBikerMi

Postby brokenbones » September 11th, 2010, 8:29 pm

It was a clump of 3 trunks Wednesday evening. Last night it was down to 1, as someone was able to break/drag 2 of the trunks out of the way. The last one is maybe a 4 incher that really doesn't need a chain saw. I was going to bring a folding saw with me next time I go. Today I went to Poto instead, so I didn't do it yet. Maybe I should have, because it started to rain harder and harder the closer we got to Pinckney. No ride today. Rats.
'Bones
brokenbones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions