MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Highland

Postby ChrisInYpsi » April 26th, 2015, 12:53 pm

There's an Orienteering event at Highland today. Lots of foot traffic on A and B. Not enough to avoid riding, but it's a good day to have a bell on your bike.

(Edit to add) Also, there is a tree down across the trail on D around 15.25 or so. Needs a chainsaw.
ChrisInYpsi

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby Critter7r » May 2nd, 2015, 6:42 pm

A,B and C all clear. Took almost 2 hours to ride it. :( Walked one long hill on each B and C. :( :( .... Had to granny-gear it more than I remember from past rides, but it's early in the season, so I won't beat myself up too much.

Oh, holy crap, the leaves are slippery. I hope they blow off the trail. They're ground up pretty good, no full leaves, but dry dry dry and slick, like graphite lube on the trail.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby c0nsumer » May 3rd, 2015, 8:14 pm

Trail was in GREAT shape today. I really, really liked the new armoring in A. (Not sure when it went in, but it's since I was last there...) Very well done fixes to the eroded-visible roots.

The forthcoming skinny here? *beep*, serious respect to anyone who rides that when its done... It's much, much, much more intimidating in person, particularly where the entrance is located.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Critter7r » May 4th, 2015, 8:02 am

Yeah, that picture in your link doesn't do justice to the height of the drop at the end of that skinny. It's not ridiculous scary, but it's gotta be a 2-foot drop off the log.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby c0nsumer » May 4th, 2015, 8:05 am

Critter7r wrote:Yeah, that picture in your link doesn't do justice to the height of the drop at the end of that skinny. It's not ridiculous scary, but it's gotta be a 2-foot drop off the log.

Not just that, but it's immediately after what I feel to be one of the sketchiest corners on the whole trail. It's a spot you can come at VERY fast with little effort, is eroded to *beep*, and a blind corner. Then suddenly, there's the new option of this skinny. (Not that it gets in the way of the existing trail at all... It just surprised me to see it.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby tmbrown » May 4th, 2015, 8:01 pm

Trail was in GREAT shape today. I really, really liked the new armoring in A. (Not sure when it went in, but it's since I was last there...) Very well done fixes to the eroded-visible roots.

Thanks…I think you're talking about the armoring a little before the 1-1/2 mile marker, Kevin and I did that last month.
This armoring is from last year.
This is a project that we did a couple weeks ago, also on A-loop.
Before.
After.
The crew.
tmbrown

Postby c0nsumer » May 4th, 2015, 9:34 pm

That looks like it, but I seem to recall even more. What I remember is spots where roots had formed dug-out Ys that simply weren't fun to ride up. Instead they became combo rocky/rooty climbs like what you have there. Really nice, I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Thank you for all of that!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 4th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Oh, and there was another spot where there's a slightly sweeping right turn, flat, on the side of the ridge, with the low area to your right. There was a small rise with a whole bunch of roots at the apex, and for whatever reason about every third ride I'd get either my front or rear wheel caught in them and it'd be awkward to pedal through. Now it's not wheel-catching but instead a rocky/rooty thing to ride over. Great stuff.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby AllMountin' » May 16th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Got caught in a hellacious downpour today. The radar lied! Rained hard for most of A & B loops, and then lighter through C. It's fairly treacherous when wet, but the tread handled it pretty well. Some slick corners, but mostly firm, with sporadic light mud.

Tree down at 12.75, not too far before the short trail out to Beaumont. Not sure if it can be moved without a saw, with two or three people, but it was broken IIRC.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby SteveF » May 18th, 2015, 6:56 am

AllMountin' wrote:Got caught in a hellacious downpour today. The radar lied! Rained hard for most of A & B loops, and then lighter through C. It's fairly treacherous when wet, but the tread handled it pretty well. Some slick corners, but mostly firm, with sporadic light mud...

Heh, that happened to a buddy and I years ago at Highland--that was back when we ran V-brakes and Highland was still a hard trail, too! Made for a sketchy D-loop! Only mishap was he slid into a tree and mashed his nuts on his saddle...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby brokenbones » May 22nd, 2015, 6:47 pm

Highland was freakin' awesome today. Nice weather, trail (A,B,C,D) was perfect, and the trail gnomes finished the log ride at mile 8 1/2. They did a really nice job with it. Can't wait to hit it on my next time thru. Thanks guys!
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby DynoDon » May 26th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Highland is so tight my Strava, is not accurate, there is no flow there either, LOL isn't it great, Love that trail, it was in a lot better shape then I was today..
DynoDon

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments