MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby jreyst » August 24th, 2014, 10:14 am

Wow... that's an odd break... Although I did snap my chain stay at Highland too so.. yeah I guess Highland eats bikes.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Kazie » August 24th, 2014, 7:24 pm

A tree is down in B between 4 mi and the B - B shortcut split. About 15 - 18 inches in diameter. Other than that all loops were clear this evening.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby c0nsumer » August 24th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Kazie wrote:A tree is down in B between 4 mi and the B - B shortcut split. About 15 - 18 inches in diameter. Other than that all loops were clear this evening.

This must have fallen this afternoon, because I don't remember anything from when I rode through there a bit after 1pm. I think I saw your car in the lot (red?) and you were out while I was finishing up (about 7pm).
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Cerget » August 25th, 2014, 7:51 am

c0nsumer wrote:
Kazie wrote:A tree is down in B between 4 mi and the B - B shortcut split. About 15 - 18 inches in diameter. Other than that all loops were clear this evening.

This must have fallen this afternoon, because I don't remember anything from when I rode through there a bit after 1pm. I think I saw your car in the lot (red?) and you were out while I was finishing up (about 7pm).

That is correct on the timing of the tree falling as it wasn't down on my first lap (2pm), but it was down on my second lap (4pm).
Cerget

Postby Kazie » August 25th, 2014, 6:44 pm

c0nsumer wrote:This must have fallen this afternoon, because I don't remember anything from when I rode through there a bit after 1pm. I think I saw your car in the lot (red?) and you were out while I was finishing up (about 7pm).

And... yes, the red Subaru was mine. I saw the tree around 6pm and came back to the parking lot around 7:45pm.
//Kazie on black'n'copper '11 Epic 'GAIA V2'
Kazie

Postby ChrisInYpsi » August 30th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Was hoping to ride Highland tomorrow (Sun) but it looks like some rain is rolling through the area tonight. What say you locals - ride or wait?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Ramborage » August 30th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Wasn't coming down that hard earlier. If it stops, it might be ready to ride around early noon. I don't think highland gets as muddy as treefarm/maybury, etc.... But I could be wrong.

Nevermind it must have came down hard when I was sleeping. The ground is soaked. Chance of more rain this morning. Looks like I'll be making plans for a labor day ride with friends and head to the gym tomorrow instead.
Ramborage

Postby Exodus » September 5th, 2014, 7:41 am

The only broken chain I have had, and my worst crash have happened at highland. Still my favorite place to ride!
Rochester Outdoor Club: http://rocwith.us
Exodus

Postby bergsteiger » September 7th, 2014, 7:10 pm

2-3 tree cluster down right before the 15 mile marker on D. Carry over and under to get by this part.

other than that the only notable puddle/mud was 10 feet into the trail, then one more spot somewhere on A if I recall (if not B before the C split)
bergsteiger

Postby Loren » September 10th, 2014, 7:31 am

Carlos Rameraz was a colorful character and enthusiastic trailbuilder who had a hand in many of our chapter trails. Each year we celebrate his memory with a memorial ride at Highland. Backwards, just for the challenge!

This year the ride is Sept 20th, 2014.

Come join us! Riding all day, grilling at the trailhead.
Loren

Postby BSPLEET » September 18th, 2014, 12:09 pm

The trail will be open from 8:00 till 7:00pm to ride backwards. If you want to participate in the group ride we will be leaving at 10:00am. And BBQ after.
BSPLEET

Postby Critter7r » September 18th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Riding D backwards would be sweet, it always seems like that whole loop is uphill. :D
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby flamingo » Yesterday, 4:18 pm

I had great time riding it backwards last Saturday. The weather definitively cooperated. So many little rooty climbs "where did this one come from ?". Starting with the D loop it does not seem to be tough at all. I was expecting much higher turnout thou. There were more than usual cars at the parking lot but not as many as when the even was organized the first time.
Many thanks to the people who made this ride possible !!
flamingo

Postby Loren » Yesterday, 6:55 pm

Last weekend turned out to have a lot of conflicting activities. I wanted to do it, but helped with the MiSCA race at Lakeshore instead.
Loren

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments