MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby Heather57 » March 27th, 2016, 6:36 pm

Only got to ride A loop today but it was in awesome condition. I don't know about the other lops but A is dry
Heather57

Postby Ramborage » April 1st, 2016, 3:55 pm

Anyone know the condition? Hasn't rained since last nigh and though I'd get a quick evening ride in.
Ramborage

Postby tmbrown » April 1st, 2016, 9:14 pm

^^Hope you made it out, the trail was in pretty good shape, the two usual places on B-loop were wet, and that spot at the end of C is still wet, but overall the trail was in good shape.
tmbrown

Postby ommmaaar » April 9th, 2016, 8:16 am

Anyone riding today Saturday Sunday 4/9 4/10? How are the conditions?
ommmaaar

Postby tmbrown » April 9th, 2016, 9:25 am

I rode all loops yesterday, the trail is in surprisingly good shape, the usual sections that were noted above are still wet.

Beware of the freeze thaw, it could get a little snotty midday, on the sections without leaf cover.
tmbrown

Postby ommmaaar » April 9th, 2016, 11:07 am

Great info.

I may also go early morning tomorrow.

Thanks
Omar
ommmaaar

Postby washedout » April 20th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Fyi. More than one close encounter with non-scared raccoon (s) on the trail. Add to that the mysterious dead one on the back end of B last week. Something that should be reported?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
washedout

Postby jwhitey » April 20th, 2016, 8:25 pm

[quote="washedout"]Fyi. More than one close encounter with non-scared raccoon (s) on the trail. Add to that the mysterious dead one on the back end of B last week. Something that should be reported?

So it can be dragged off the trail?
jwhitey

Postby Hudnut » April 20th, 2016, 8:28 pm

There have been many reports or raccoons with distemper here in commerce. That behavior sounds similar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby Burb » April 20th, 2016, 8:48 pm

I rode right by a raccoon on the D loop at about 6pm. He didn't seem scared, but didn't seem angry either. Just kinda walked away as I rode up to him.
Burb

Postby CannondaleMike » April 26th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Just curious....who makes the final decision to create a re-route on the trail. Noticed on B loop a re-route was in place. Most of the time, they tend to take away the technical challenge of the trail as Highland is known for. Maybe it is an environmental issue? It appears most of the technical trails around have been softened up over the years. Not complaining, just curious how the process works?
CannondaleMike

Postby BSPLEET » April 27th, 2016, 8:22 am

We rerouted this section of trail because we were trying to prevent the big hole that has appeared there n the past. We repaired it about 8 years ago; it has been a maintenance pain. We talked about rerouting back then. The new route will add couple of fun turns, and prevent the big hole that appeared in the past. There have no plans to reroute any other sections of trail. The highland TC's are all in on preserving our technical single track. If you interested on how the process works there are monthly MCMBA Bi monthly meetings.

CannondaleMike wrote:Just curious....who makes the final decision to create a re-route on the trail. Noticed on B loop a re-route was in place. Most of the time, they tend to take away the technical challenge of the trail as Highland is known for. Maybe it is an environmental issue? It appears most of the technical trails around have been softened up over the years. Not complaining, just curious how the process works?
BSPLEET

Postby EnRaz » April 27th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Rode Highland yesterday evening. Maybe in the best condition I've ever ridden it. Go get some.
~Nick

"It is a tragedy of the world that a man does not know what he does not know. And the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything."
EnRaz

Postby CannondaleMike » April 27th, 2016, 10:58 pm

Thanks BSPLEET....nice write up on the thought that goes into trail maintenance. As always, greatly appreciate all the hard work that goes into each trail especially Highland. Might take you up on attending a meeting or two. Who knows, might learn a thing or Two!
CannondaleMike

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments