MCMBA: Highland

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Highland

Postby c0nsumer » July 9th, 2014, 9:38 pm

In my opinion they aren't really any harder, just tighter.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Mucky » July 9th, 2014, 9:52 pm

c0nsumer wrote:In my opinion they aren't really any harder, just tighter.

I would agree with this. C & D are just slower. Not as many long straights and downhills. You can't carry speed as much. I actually thought A was harsher, because of being able to go a little faster.
Mucky

Postby schortie » July 10th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Rode today and the trail is in awesome shape just one tree down toward the end of C. Had a blast - it's certainly one that keeps me on my toes. Thanks to all those that help maintain the trail.
New guy
schortie

Postby amadkins » July 13th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Came in off Beaumont rd for B loop. Surprisingly good shape. Only one or two spots that were muddy.
amadkins

Postby flamingo » July 17th, 2014, 9:03 am

Highland was in best shape ever yesterday. Slightly damp, allowed for loose sections to be somewhat firm. No wet spots. No broken trees or branches. Plus the temperature was perfect for a ride. It was so good I established a new personal record, and that was on my 26er. Beat my previous PR done on a 29er !
flamingo

Postby Cerget » July 18th, 2014, 6:48 am

So what was the PR? All four loops in 1:40?
Cerget

Postby irishpitbull » July 19th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Faster than flamingo's PR

Edited per fightclub rules.
Last edited by irishpitbull on July 19th, 2014, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Postby Paul Brown » July 19th, 2014, 2:49 pm

#1 rule of Fight Club.........
Paul Brown

Postby jwhitey » July 19th, 2014, 3:20 pm

No biting?
jwhitey

Postby c0nsumer » July 19th, 2014, 3:22 pm

I think it's about two hours for me, but I'd really like to one day ride all of Highland without any dismounts. I can't get up the nerve to ride the C-B connector, and there's one climb in C that has thrown me every time I'm there. (Admittedly, it's only 1-2 times a year, usually...)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Cerget » July 20th, 2014, 7:10 am

My 1:40 PR was with no dismounts, but I have to say the trail has been improved to be made a lot easier. That b-c connector was always hard to transition on the way out, but it is very basic now. The d loop use to have a nasty rock descent into an equally difficult climb and all are easier these days as well as the b loop rock garden climb.
Cerget

Postby Critter7r » July 21st, 2014, 12:34 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I think it's about two hours for me, but I'd really like to one day ride all of Highland without any dismounts. I can't get up the nerve to ride the C-B connector, and there's one climb in C that has thrown me every time I'm there. (Admittedly, it's only 1-2 times a year, usually...)

It's the switchback, uphill, turn to the left and climb-a-root, isn't it? I'm 1 and 1 on that spot this year.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby c0nsumer » July 21st, 2014, 12:59 pm

Critter7r wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:I think it's about two hours for me, but I'd really like to one day ride all of Highland without any dismounts. I can't get up the nerve to ride the C-B connector, and there's one climb in C that has thrown me every time I'm there. (Admittedly, it's only 1-2 times a year, usually...)

It's the switchback, uphill, turn to the left and climb-a-root, isn't it? I'm 1 and 1 on that spot this year.

Actually, no. That I can do. It's a slightly sustained bench cut rock garden-like thing. I can see the line, but something about it throws me and I tend to dab when going through the two narrowest rocks. If I rode it faster I'd be better.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby flamingo » July 21st, 2014, 1:47 pm

I can't get up the nerve to ride the C-B connector

I have been mountain biking for 8 years and only 2 years ago I started getting through the BC connector going in. And only last season I managed to get through it going out, on both 29er and 26er. That section was the last barrier for me on Highland. Now I can say that I can do it non stop. As for PR's and times. For a dude that is 42 and rides avg 1000 to 2000 miles a year, and does not ride on the road I am quite satisfied with my PR. So far I have been able to improve it every season but as the years go by it will eventually stop. I remember that when I rode Highland for the first time it took me like 2:45 with multiple stops. The trail felt epic. (In some sense it still is). On one of those first rides a guy passed me and told me that he can squeeze it in 2hr. It thought of it as speed of sound at the time.

And when it comes to Strava. All it takes is bunch of pro racers to come and have a regular ride on a given trail to blow all the regular folks out.
flamingo

Postby irishpitbull » July 21st, 2014, 2:11 pm

flamingo wrote:
I can't get up the nerve to ride the C-B connector

I remember that when I rode Highland for the first time it took me like 2:45 with multiple stops. The trail felt epic. (In some sense it still is). On one of those first rides a guy passed me and told me that he can squeeze it in 2hr. It thought of it as speed of sound at the time.

I can relate to that. My 1st recorded time for Highland 2:52. It felt like an all day adventure.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments